Think my Touch is broken...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sambo110, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    The bottom left of my screen, presses down a bit when I touch it. It's like it has come loose and stick up a bit. Is this bad? Why is it doing this?

2. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    !
    sounds bad..
    is it the actual screen, or the black border?? My black border does that kind of (from purchase, brand new in sealed box from factory :D)..
    Take it to an Apple Store, they're usually pretty good with faulty things aren't they?

Actually on this topic, my iPod has a dent in the back (*weep*), can I get it fixed or replaced by Apple? Surly the back part should be sturdy as all hell.. is mine slightly faulty?? It was done with a freaking ear bud, not the strongest things ever.... I kind of want it fixed.. but I was guessing that it was my problem because I dented it.. Any ideas?

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    take it to the apple store. happened to me and got it replaced.

4. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    If you (Paulio) still have a warrantee, you might be able to get a new one from apple.

5. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    If your still under Warranty, take it to apple. They will replace your iPod with a new one or fix it.

I returned my iPod Touch to Apple because my Head phone jack inside the iPod was broken. They pay for all the shipping if your under warranty. They replaced my iPod with a New one so.... NO SCRATCHES =D

but I didn't get my screen protector back...D:

6. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    #6 Sambo110, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    Ok, here's the thing. Got it off eBay (definitely brand new), not long ago, a bit before Christmas. live in Queensland, and the closest Apple store is in Sydney or Melbourne. It is the black part, and a bit of the screen that clicks. Also, I have a dead/stuck pixel, that I can only see on white. So it will still be under warranty? Should I take it to an apple reseller? Like JB Hifi?

7. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Same here, got a brand new one. They told me it was a common problem

8. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Is it bad? I noticed mine did it too a while back (2G Touch) and I was a little flustered, like "WTF??". But I looked it up and found many people reported it and didn't seem to have any serious problem, like the screen coming completely off, and just ignored it and it was fine.

Just fight the urge to constantly press it down, as I'm sure that WILL make it worse.

EDIT: Oh, just read the bit about the pixel, well, that would annoy me enough to go out and try to get a replacement, more so than the screen depression.

9. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    The pixel can only be seen on white, so I can live with that. but I was worried about the screen coming off, not being sensitive to taps etc.

10. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The pixel is your main backing to getting it replaced. If a pixel is dead, they replace it no question. Take it and say that a pixel is dead. Restore first, of course. Once you get the new one, restore from backup, and you have the same stuff and apps as your old one. Show a white screen if they ask and point it out. No your screen isn't going to stop working, and if it does, Apple will surely take it back. I don't think that its that big of a deal.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    All these posts made me actually get up, get my iPod, take off the sleeve, survey it, clean it, put it back in its sleeve, hug it, and put it somewhere safe.

But yeah, take it to Apple. They're the only ones that can fix their high-tech gadgets of perfection.

12. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    #12 Sambo110, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    Would I take it to an apple reseller, cause there are no apple stores around here. And will the backup keep everything, saved games etc? It automatically backs up my Touch to my mac. Why would I have to restore it?

13. SmallSoldiers81

SmallSoldiers81 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    oHiO
    Sometimes when i just touch my headphone jack when the earphones are plugged in the sound messes up. is the problem with my ipod or the headphones?

14. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    You would lose saved games.
    I also have the same problem, I live in Tasmania and only have resellers... I guess I could just go in and see them.. I can live with it tho..

15. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    So it backs up everything except saves? Just great.

16. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Something similar happened to my iPod. I just bought a new one a few days ago and the left side caves down a little bit when I push on it. Not much. just enough that I can notice a small fall.

Should I be concerned about this?

17. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I wouldn't worry about it.

18. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that backup does save game state. I don't really know for sure, but I've heard of people who backup, send their iPod in, and have everything just as it was when they restore. I don't know for sure, though. I mean, if you are going to have to send it in, back it up right now, and then restore, and see if it saves everything.

19. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    A backup will save everything except the music that you have on the device. It takes a 'screenshot' of all the apps on the device, thus saving the contacts, SMS, apps, savegames, etc. The reason it doesn't save music is that they assume that most people use the sync checked media function, thus, when you restore you can sync and get all of the music back.

Hope that helps,
    Haephestos

20. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Ok, this is ridiculous. Now my screen colour has gone weird, it looks lighter. I think I will get it fixed now.