Things that make me go hmmmm...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by iago, Dec 22, 2008.

1. treehuggerflem

treehuggerflem Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    very true. maybe if you named some specific games it could get moved back to the games forum and gain some more attention like it needs.

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Why do we have eyebrows? :rolleyes: :confused:

3. hilko

hilko Member

May 4, 2009
    The only thing I would disagree on with the first poster is the weekly updates. I actually love the constant anticipation of seeing an update that (often) gives a little extra, or fixes small bugs. And I can fully understand the rationale, what with the broken app store.

furthermore, if the updates are mainly to 'game the system', they're usually not vital. So people who don't like the constant updates can just not download them. I know I often skip minor updates.

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #24 Adams Immersive, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    I agree with many of your complaints, but...

Maybe so--but do you expect every developer to KNOW in advance that the app is overpriced? The iPhone market is not nearly that simple, and one app is not like another. So if a developer realizes an app is overpriced AFTER the fact, that doesn't make them evil, nor stupid. It could simply mean they thought their app was worth more and then it just didn't work out.

I'd rather see a price RISE after I make an early purchase... but if the reverse happens, it may not be an evil plot. It may just be "one of those things" and something the developer too would have been happy to avoid--if only she could see the future!

And if the game wasn't already worth the original high price (or if I couldn't tell either way) then I shouldn't have bought. More likely, it WAS worth the high price... I'd just rather pay even less :eek:

Also, re repeated updates--if they're gaming the system for weeks on end then I agree, there's no need for that. But if I occasionally see 2 or 3 updates in a row it doesn't bother me--I'm happy to get my fixes sooner rather than later. And every app, on every platform, will always have bugs.

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
  6. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    #5 - a great example is Ghost Buddy. Each update is "even better graphics and smoother gameplay". Every time. After trying it a couple downloads after mine, and noticing no change, I realize that it is an excuse to be in the tops list.

7. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

I bet people are gonna have issues with developers abusing 3.0's in-game purchases.

8. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I figure it has been over a year - but much of this remains true today as when it was first written. Just a reminder to some...

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    People who keep whining about price drops need to learn some patience or honestly just stfu. By now most should have a working knowledge of how the app store works, and if they can't wait and MUST have that app right that second well then that's their problem.

Also these people weren't cheated of anything. It's still the same game, still the same fun, except they chose to value it more than others and offer more monetary support to the dev.

10. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    +1..

11. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #31 yourofl10, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    [removed]

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Translation: bump.

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I remember that posting. It was around the time I joined TA.
    A very good (resurrected) post and glad to see it once again.