There's a new reviewer in town, and I'm taking requests!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by legowiz, Oct 14, 2010.

1. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    now what's that supposed to mean? :confused:

2. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Alright guys, sorry it's been taking so long, I've been trying to wrap things up with one of the games I've been beta testing. The testing period ends today and I had barely played it at all...Oops :p So I needed to fill out some stuff and send in some feedback in order to get my gift card :) So, my review for N.Y.Zombies is done and will be uploading to Youtube very soon. Check it out and see what you think. I worked on my "ums," so there should be hardly any in this one, and the audio, at least for my voice, is much better than the last one. I think the video was pretty good too, but there's only so much I can do with a webcam. Hope you guys like it and I'll send a PM to the member that suggested it to let you know personally. Thanks for the support!

3. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    alright, the video should be live as of now. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFTsAeV_IY

Let me know what you guys think and whether or not I'm improving. The next review will be of that crappy looking game that Hodapp sent me. I don't expect you guys to enjoy that one, but I deal's a deal.

4. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    wait what was the deal again?

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Nice review, although the glare got annoying and it was hard to see the screen.

6. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    basically you just suggest games that you'd like to see reviews for and I'll try to do them. I've gotten a lot of suggestions, so they might take a little while.

7. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    I know, it's quite hard to get a good video and cut out all the glare with a webcam. When I get an 4G iPod Touch I'll be able to record a video of what's on the screen with an app that only works on 3G and up. Until then, I'm gonna have to keep using the webcam.

8. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Your second review was much better! You fixed a lot of the criticisms I had, and with that you've definitely gone up in credibility. My only new compaint is that oftentimes what you were saying wasn't that interesting, and for a 5 minute review, you definitely need to keep our interest.

I guess you have too much of a commentating style of reviewing. This is fine if others like it, but I personally would rather have it being gameplay with a general idea of what the game is about. What I mean is, instead of like:
    "This is the menu screen. Here we have the first level. These are the guns."

You could talk about key points of the game like graphics, gameplay, etc. while footage is more so we get an idea of what is in the whole package, not literally an explanation of what is happening on your game screen right now. We can't see the screen that well, and it is more of a hands-on with commentary that is slightly too long to keep our interest. Kind of like Slide to Play's and Appspy's reviews.

But I like the video. I subscribed.

9. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    That's great feedback, I will definitely keep that in mind. It's actually much easier for me to lower the amount of "data" that I include and just show gameplay. Unfortunately, because of the bad camera, I don't know how visible the gameplay will be, but I can try. Thanks for your support and I will see what I can do to make it more interesting!

10. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #110 acrotran, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    You did a good job, but it was a little boring. As for what to talk about, the only thing we care about is whether we should buy the game, so keep that in mind. For that reason, there's not much point in reviewing older games. Plus there are already videos of most older games. Also, it's OK to compare it with similar games if you care to.

11. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Nothing. :p

12. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
    Two areas that are not covered by other reviewers:

1. New versions of a game.
    For example: Rogue Runner is a fairly new game. The current release is 1.2, but all the reviews are for previous releases. Version 1.3 has been submitted, but not approved, and includes a significant improvement to the jumping skill, plus new content. If you review v1.3, you won't have any competition, and you will be doing a favor for anyone who hasn't already bought the game, and it's already a kick-ass game.

2. Comparisons of games within a genre.
    For example: Endless Runners = Robot Unicorn Attack, Rogue Runner, Monster Dash, Canabalt, Dead Runner, Vector Runner

Dual Stick Shooters, FPS, RPG, TBS, RTS, etc, etc.

13. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
    Since you are begging for promo codes, you need to make a choice. Are you on the side of the people who read your reviews, or are you on the side of the people who pay for your reviews?

I've done reviews for promo-codes, and it definitely changes the review. It's easy not to criticize when the dev is counting on you to help them sell a game. It's up to you who's side you want to be on.

14. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    #114 doodlejumper, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    This.

15. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    no i mean between you and hodapp.
    and my suggestion is to cut ur nails js

16. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

you're pretty good actually!

17. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Rogue Runner was actually going to be the next game I review, but now that you mention an upcoming update, I will wait till it's out to review it. That's one thing I want to do is update my reviews when significant new updates come out. A good example is Knights Rush that wasn't really stable when it first came out, but since the latest update, it's a great game and very stable. So yes, thanks for the advice, I will keep it all in mind for the next review.

18. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    well, I try to be objective with my reviews. I don't really side with either party, I just review the game based on how I felt about it. I'm not going to just shoot down a game for no reason, I will make suggestions for how they can make it better (except maybe that cat game hodapp sent me, that one I'm gonna shoot down, lol), so the buyer will really know what they are getting into, and the dev will know what they can do better. Hopefully, everyone wins.

19. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    the deal was that Hodapp would gift me an app of his choice if I promised to do a full review of it, so I agreed against my better judgement. Now I must review one of the worst games on the appstore. It's called My Virtual Cat, and it's honestly the worst possible thing you could spend a dollar on. About my nails, I do cut them, but they grow back!

20. legowiz

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Thank you! Encouragement helps a ton! And I will get better with time.