Theory - iPhone upgrades will alternate between looks and performance each year!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wikoogle, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    2g to 3g was primarily a looks/exterior update, other than the 3g reciever, the phones performance was identical.

3g to 3gs was entirely a performance update, the look is identical.

Some people care a lot more about the outside look of their phone than performance, some people are the opposite. Whichever you are the upgrade targeting you will come out every 2 yrs when your contract hopefully expires.

Releasing performance upgrades each yr could make things tough for the app store developers who have to test and design their apps for every hardware iteration and piss off people who don't care that much about looks but need to have the fastest hardware.

Changing the look each yr would piss off accesory/case makers and the customers that see their phone as a fashion statement. Meanwhile by not changing the look when the performance bumps up you can feel better not upgrading since you feel that atleast your phone looks the same as everyone elses.

As long as cellphone companies lock people into 2 yr contracts rather than 1 yr contracts, this approach makes the most strategic sense for both Apple and for consumers.

2. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Meanwhile the iPod Touch no one cares about.

3. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    The touch is next for an update. Maybe the bigger net book touch will be released and the apple tv/ game system this fall. We can only hope for it all.

4. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    mneh. With me waiting on financing for a new iMac, I couldn't care less.

5. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    I don't think so. If there isn't a big update to it next year I think a lot of people will be pissed. I know I will.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Big update to the 3Gs?

If so...prepare to be pissed.

I mean...3Gs is a true new gen upgrade (using the gamer usage of that term, not Apple's usage which is just their designation of all revisions, even minor ones like iPhone to iPhone 3G). New CPU, new GPU, double the RAM. Wasn't that enough of a "big update"? Unless to you a "big" update is filler, like a better camera.

Unless you mean the touch, in which case, 3Gs based iTouch this fall is almost a given.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Apple's gonna go with minor revisions every year or so, major new gens (again, using that term the way gamers do, in which a new gen isn't just a minor revision ala iPhone to iPhone 3G, but a major one...think Game Boy Advance to Nintendo DS) every two or even three years. It'd do well for Apple to actually space out the new gen (again, gamer usage) every five years or so to give a longer life cycle.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    iPhone's are basically iPods with phone capabilities. We all know that. They're not like cell phones where we get one, expect to keep it for a while, and only really use it for phone calls and texts. You almost never hear of someone using they're phone as an mp3 or gaming device.

iPhone's, because they carry an iPod along with them, have to adapt to the Apple's tradition of refining and restyling them every year. New design, new look, more power, new capabilities... People must upgrade. Why? It's not a phone, it's an... wait for it... iPhone. For people not quite ready to take the leap, Apple's marketing team comes out and practically kicks them off the cliff.

If Wikoogle's theory is right (which gonna take about 4 more years to prove :rolleyes:), then essentially, they're targeting two markets at once. The fashion obsessed, and the tech geeks. It's genius. One year, get the "OMG, it totally matches my purse," nuts, and the next, the "More RAM, this is good. This is very good indeeeeeeed," screwballs. All the while, casual consumers are walking in to get whatever models out. Elegant strategy. If the theory's true, though.

Unless the upgrades are huge or I run out of memory, I'm gonna try to get a new iPod every other "generation". This year, with the very likely S-upgrade, possible camera, and the fact that I'm constantly deleting apps off my iPod to make room for music, I really have no choice :D

9. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    @spiffyone
    I mean new features. You know, backgrounding stuff like that.

10. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #10 organerito, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    I will be forced to get the new ipod touch too;)

As I had the 1G ipod touch, it'll be a big update for me to go from the 1G to the 3G.