Universal The_Hunted (by F5 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Miaaaou,

Thanks for the great feedback, and for playing the game! I've run into you a time or two in the game already ( assuming there aren't two people playing with this name ).

I'm going to work through your post and respond to some of your ideas and questions.

Crashes - I've seen that a couple times since launch and we're still trying to run down why it's happening. I think there a number of issues people are seeing that all end up being caused by poor network connection or performance so we're focusing on fixing that first and then trying to track down other possible causes. Thanks for reporting it.

Bots - You make a great point about bot kills not impacting the leaderboards. We'll make sure we don't count them in the totals we send to GameCenter.

CTF - I really want to add CTF, and we are planning to. Right now the game is geared toward Free for All play but after we get these launch issues straightened out I really want to start fleshing out the team game and adding more modes that work well as team games.

Lurker and Ogre - We're going to be tweaking all the characters as we go along so I'll add your impressions to our character feedback. If anyone else has feedback on the characters I would love to hear it.

Hunter Unlocks - Right now the idea is that each Hunter would be unlocked with an IAP only and the individual Hunter prices are set at $1.99 each. The Unlock All option gives you a discount on that price and we've set it up so that even if you buy one or two characters individually the Unlock All price will decrease so that you can still get the discount on the remaining characters. I've heard from a few people now that it would be awesome to have a way to 'earn' the unlocks without spending money and we are trying to see if there is a good way to make that work. At the end of the day we hope to make money from this game so we can afford to improve it and make new games but there may be other things we can do.

More Hunters - If we're able to build a player base for the game I would love to add new Hunters. I've already got a few in mind that I think would be cool, some that would specifically work well in team games, so hopefully we'll be able to add those in.

Competitive Modes - When I asked earlier in the thread about ways to get people to come back to the game over and over this is what I had in mind. I would like to add some kind of competitive structure around the matches themselves that would have people competing for bragging rights or possibly prizes. This is another area where adding robust team modes would be huge and I hope we'll be able to get there. One of the thoughts I've had is to build in a 'ranked ladder' that resets each month, like Hearthstone does. That way you could work your way up the ladder during the month and then we could have a tournament at the end of the month to determine the best Hunter in the game. I think that would be awesome, and it's something that I don't think exists for games like this, but we have a lot of work to do before we get there.

Leveling up Hunters - I really like your thoughts on this. We have gone back and forth on how to address this and we really haven't reached a definitive decision yet. I think if we did add leveling it would probably be levels that were gained during a match and then reset at the end of the match. This would be more like the leveling in League of Legends than the player progression in Call of Duty. I can see the benefits in each approach and I think they could both make sense so I could be persuaded either way. As for right now, we don't have any plans to implement leveling, but it is something we're thinking about.

Thanks again for your great post and all your feedback and ideas. If you, or anyone else, has any more ideas let me know.

merci

2. Miaaaou

Miaaaou Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Didn't expect the game dev would reply :D thanks for that, and no worries about my feedback, because, as you said, this game is "for now" more like a big beta test ;) so I'm here to help the improvement :)

Now I react quickly on some points. In the case of IAP characters... What I like in a F2P is that it's actually free. And that's why I would really (but reaaaaally) love to see something like what I said before, something where you can unlock the characters. Cause the money you will earn will mainly be from this, I understand, but if there are some people that want the lurker straight away, then they can buy it and enjoy the game. But other people, such as me, like to play the game for a while and unlock all the hunters, but unlock them without spending some money. Okay it takes some time and that's what makes it even better :) *imo* oh and if you decide to do it this way, try not to do the following:
    /start following
    Say you have your hunter. You want to unlock the kid. Well you have to kill X times blah blah blah. And then you will have the kid. Cool.
    Now you want to unlock Stealth.
    WHAT YOU SHOULDNT DO (not shouting :p) :
    "To unlock Stealth, you need to kill X times blah blah with the Lurker (for eg)" and since you need to unlock someone else, this would mean that Stealth would be the very last to be unlocked since all the hunters are in a certain order. Not sure if you understand what I mean.. :/
    WHAT YOU SHOULD DO :
    Make the unlock quite hard (still possible though) but not dependant of another thing to unlock, such as another hunter. Cause if you want a specified character then you need to follow what they ask you, say like "Win 5 times in a row in Skulls" to unlock the Lurker (hehe, hard right ;) at least there won't be too many Lurkers around :p) and therefore if the difficulty is quite high, there will be many people like me trying to get this achieved, and many others who will be like "Shut up and take my money" just to unlock a hunter ^^
    /end following

Um when you say "Build a player" you mean creating it with our own hands? Like kinda "crafting the super hunter"? :p if so, well... Good and not that good idea. Would be fun to find different kinda of other hunters but they may just be too OP. Plus I'm not even sure if that's really possible, since this game is *imo* like you do a quick stable game (or a few) but since they are quick, then you don't spend too much time on crafting/creating/..../.. It may be a loss of interest for some people.
    The idea of the leaderboards is good too :)
    Idk if you read it, or you may not have the answer at the moment, but what about bigger maps too? Slightly or bigger allowing more slots/people coming in. And idk if it could be a good idea but what if there would be an edit mode, allowing us to creat our very own maps, and then (what I'm thinking could actually be good :p) the map creators submit you the maps they did. And before the next update, you select one/two and put the map(s) in the update, making a fresh new update :)
    Still happy to give you some feedback :) Have a nice day working on this, I'm off cause it's almost midnight over here! Cya in Arena ;)

3. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #63 FRACTURES, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    The Hunted Soundtrack

Just to let y'alllll know, The Hunted soundtrack is available to download for free or listen to in its entirety in glorious super high quality at http://fractures-music.bandcamp.com/album/the-hunted-soundtrack (arghhh can't seem to get a proper link posted in here)

Go on. You know you want to!

4. Lift the Camel

Lift the Camel Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2013
  5. Lift the Camel

Dec 1, 2013
    @f5

Are you planning full Game Center integration so we can invite our Game Center friends easily, or are you keeping it platform agnostic to allow for cross-platform gaming?

6. Brandon Pollet

Honestly, I'm not sure. The game definitely needs away to track and invite friends but I'm not sure how best to implement it. Do people like to use Game Center for this? I've never found it all that useful for connecting with people.

We would like to release the game on Android as well so Game Center may not be the best way to go for that reason but that doesn't mean it's not worth exploring. What about Facebook and/or Twitter connections? Would that work for people?

7. Lift the Camel

Dec 1, 2013
    Game Center is easy for me because everyone I game with has iOS. Since you are wanting to get this running on Android, and have it running through web browsers, Facebook integration or a stand alone sign in model would be a great addition.

8. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    I think it should have its own in game friend list (with messages) because some people don't have facebook (me)! And Game Center is pretty annoying for joining games and stuff it never works well on the other games I've got

9. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    Just got the update. Thanks about the leaderboard. What else did you add? (I'm alone on the game so idk what you added, and there isn't any description on the App Store about the update...)

10. Brandon Pollet

Hunted v1.0.2 is Out!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that v1.0.2 of The Hunted has just hit the Appstore. Here are the update notes from the iTunes:

-------------------------------
    We've heard your feedback and we're working to improve the game. This is the first in a number of updates that you'll see over the next few weeks. Enjoy!

- Access the Game Center leaderboards from the Main Menu to track your wins and kills
    - Don't like the ads? Now you can disable them on the Settings screen
    - Shortened the time spent at the Victory screen.
    - Balancing updates to Skulls and the Ranger
    - Updated the joystick images to make the controls more clear
    - Made the ability and secondary weapon buttons easier to touch
    - Improvements to online network performance
    - Various other bug fixes and tweaks

Good Hunting!
    ---------------------------------

Also, I want to let you know that I've been testing our first dedicated servers this week and they seem to be working great so far. The game is going to require another update before you will start seeing them in the server list but I'm going to work with Apple to try and get that update pushed through as fast as possible.

Hopefully by next week we'll have dedicated servers up and running for everyone to play on.

If you are new go download the game and let me know what you think.

The Hunted on iTunes

If you have the original release you should see the update in your App Store app now.

Thanks,
    Brandon

11. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    Haha said it before the dev ;)
    Thanks for answering :) uh so you talked to your team about my suggestions? If so, what did they say?
    Thanks for updating the game keep up :)

12. Brandon Pollet

Let's get a game going this afternoon.

I'm going to jump on today at 3:00 Central Time if anyone wants to jump in and play.

Hopefully I'll see you in the arena.

13. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    #73 Miaaaou, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    No idea if you launched the server, but if so, well.. It doesn't seem to work :p

14. Brandon Pollet

The server is up and running now if anyone wants to play a few rounds.

15. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    Is it the server running H24? I mean not at the moment, but is it the one you tested?

16. Brandon Pollet

No the dedicated servers are coming in the next update. I just jumped into your game but we're geographically too far apart it seems. Hopefully the dedicated servers will make that better.

17. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    Yeah hopefully. You were having too much ping? And I hope this could solve the problem because that will be a big one actually... :/
    Oh another idea: instead of points, what if you add a timer? Such as who does the meat of the kills in ... 3-5min (idk) ? Could be good, and as well, if we can respawn quickly and all that, could be fun :)

18. Lift the Camel

Dec 1, 2013
    Any news on upcoming updates? Would love to see more games to join.

19. Brandon Pollet

We've been in update limbo with Apple for more than a week unfortunately. The currently submitted update enables dedicated servers which should help with connection issues and will mean there is always a server active for people to join even if they aren't on Wifi.

Hopefully Apple will accept it in the next couple days and we can get the update out before Christmas.

I'm also still working on Bot AI but that is going to be at least a couple more weeks for me to get right. As I make progress on that I'll post some videos of them in action.

Thanks for playing!

20. Miaaaou

Oct 3, 2014
    You took in count our comments thanks. I am sure the update will be a great Christmas present :D