Universal The_Hunted (by F5 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

If you're having trouble with the right stick you may want to try switching 'dynamic controls' off in the settings. This keeps the joysticks stationary on the screen and makes it easier to hit the secondary and ability buttons.

I actually tend to like the stationary controls more on my phone and the dynamic controls on the iPad, but it's all a personal preference.

2. Brandon Pollet

#22 Brandon Pollet, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  3. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    WHOA! I didn't expect this to be out today!

4. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Can't connect to any games

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I just played. There were no games running so I made one. I was there by myself for a few minutes before someone finally came in. And boy did he lag. He was skipping big time.
    Also, the right stick is weird. I don't really understand the two buttons coming off it.
    Don't really see myself playing this much in its current state. I do like the lighting, but it kinda feels more like a gimmick than a game changing mechanic. But maybe with more players...

6. RenTin850

RenTin850 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #26 RenTin850, Nov 20, 2014
    This game looks interesting. Will definitely give this one a play.

7. RenTin850

RenTin850 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #27 RenTin850, Nov 20, 2014
    Just downloaded on my iPhone 6 Plus. Finally got in a server and I must say its pretty fun so far. What is the IAP purchase for? It says unlock all for a price but each hunter I highlight says free and I can play them all. So I'm not sure what's it unlock. Also what is the screen kick setting?

Update: the game seems to have gotten better performance wise after opening and closing it a few times. Its getting pretty fun now that more people are playing and servers showing up.

8. Brandon Pollet

There are definitely some laggy games out there but there are other servers that are working great. I've been in some pretty awesome firefights last night and this morning.

I'm not sure if the lag has more to do with the device that starts the game or the connection itself. I've run games over slow connections with people in other states and not had problems.

If you start a server today try limiting the number of players to 6 and see if that improves things. Also it might be good to put your country or state in the server name. Playing closer to home should help.

9. zoidburgh

zoidburgh New Member

Jul 27, 2014
    game freezes and there are no servers active

10. cubilas

cubilas Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Feels like a good game for the few minutes I got to play it, but I am constantly disconnected from servers. Not a lot of servers either, seems logic since it depends on the amount of players.

11. Lift the Camel

Lift the Camel Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2013
    There are a few glitches, etc, with this game, but it is the most fun I've had just diving head first into any game on any system in a long time.

The biggest issue I have with the game is longevity. Right now I don't think it will hold my attention for long. To combat this, I have a few suggestions.

1. Clear progression. Let us know what we can do to unlock characters, etc.
    2. Along with that, give us a screen before joining a server to decide what character we will start with.
    3. Also on this screen, allow us to invite friends so we can play on the same server more easily (or allow private/locked servers).
    4. MFi controller support! I could play four hours if I was using a controller.
    5. I don't know if this could work, given Apple's app store rules, but a level editor would be sweet!
    6. Bots.

Love the game, though!

12. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    It looks like an awesome game and I watched it when there was news of it but it doesn't work# there are servers but when I click on them it just says connection error... Anyone got ideas (maybe I'm just being stupid and its my device) !!!!!

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well hell, that's sad to see no one on the servers, I thought by the time I got back to this thread it would be full of hunters :(

14. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    This is like f5 fail attempt at their last asynchronous game.

15. Brandon Pollet

Hunted - Beta Update

Well, it's pretty obvious that not everything is working as we had planned. There are several reasons for why that may be but I'm not going to get into them now (look for a blog post on it in the future though).

The bottom line is that while the iPhone/iPad as server system worked well in our testing we didn't do testing on a large enough scale to work out all these issues. Basically we've turned out worldwide launch into a giant beta test, thanks for participating.

I'm really kicking myself about it because, as I think some of you have seen, the game is a blast when you're on a good server.

So, what are we doing about it?

As of this post you can now play The Hunted on your Mac, Windows, or Linux PC through the Unity web player. Just hit http://f5games.com/thehunted and if you have the Unity web player it will start loading up the game for you.

How does this help anything for iOS? If people are starting servers on their PC in a web browser they are going to have better performance and probably a better connection so we should see better server conditions for everyone playing the game. Also you can play at work much easier this way!

We're also working on some form of a dedicated server that F5 can host and provide a stable experience for everyone. We should have just done that from the beginning but the reasons for why we didn't aren't important right now. What is important is getting the game whipped into shape and giving everyone a good experience.

In addition to that we're also working on an update that will address some of the issues and bugs we've seen and heard about. Here is a list of the things we're targeting to address in that update.

* Link to the Game Center leaderboards from the main menu so you can see how you stack up against other players in wins and kills.
    * Fix bug that causes a crash when a player spawns directly over another player.
    * Fix bug that causes some games to never award points for kills.
    * Ask players for their name if they haven't set one so not everyone is named Player 18362893.
    * Remember server names if you've set a custom name.
    * Display text explaining the goal of match throughout the game so you know what you're trying to do
    * Better touch detection for secondary weapon and ability buttons.
    * Joystick images with descriptions of how to move and shoot

If you have had anything else pop up that seems like a bug or issue please let me know so we can add it to the list.

There are other things that we want to add in future updates, some of them have been suggested already in this thread, but I'm not going to start promising you guys new stuff until we get the initial game experience working correctly.

I want to thank all of you who have been playing and I hope that you'll continue to give the game a shot. Also, remember to hit up the Hunted Web Player to try about the game on your computer and consider setting up a server to p0wn all the n00bs.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well I personally had a blast playing and will continue to support F5, it's not as if it hurt anyone in particular as the initial experience has been free. I would love to see the game up and running smoothly, the sooner the better :D

17. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I just played two death matches without a hitch... Won both too :D

18. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Is this game only online against other people? Or is there an offline single player against AI?

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Always online multiplayer.