The Zii egg! Creative is back!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by organerito, Jul 28, 2009.

1. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I know...I think we are dreaming..I'm like holy sh*t at all that stuff..

EXACTLY APPLE! WHY DONT YOU!?!? I;m just a little mad Apple doesnt do this lol..

yeh

Look at the price, the SDK and the device is all for $400...And its a 32GB...

Nothing....

It could defeat the iDevices because look, the specs aere out standing, all it needs is a App Store that has good apps and tons of apps. If the Zii Egg has a good App Store it will kill iDevices easy...

Does the iPhone have 2 cameras? No
    Does the iPod Touch? No.
    Does the iPhone/iPod Touch have 1 HD camera? No.

That in its self is pretty dang good..

2. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I don't even think it's a matter of how "big" the app store is. I mean Apple's has thousands upon thousands of apps, and I only use a handful. As long as it is built to be a respectable app store with good developers (Major or Indie). I can really care less if it has thousands of fart apps like the Appstore has, as long as it has good applications that we can put more of use on. lol

That's my taking at least.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    True. Games are gonna come out the gazoo regardless of what platform you're using, so we're pretty much safe they're, and as non-game related apps, after most of the devs see the competition on the AppStore, they'll know what'll sell on Zii Egg.

One thing saddens me, though. If I decide to someday get it, that means no more TA :(

4. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Definitely. The Apple app store definitely set a benchmark for convenience in Apps. If Creative can follow this, and build upon that, it's not difficult to see what is most nessisary and what isn't. The glory of competition... I don't know, i'll definitely be keeping an eye out on it. Told some friends about it and they had nothing but sh*t to talk about Android. From the spec's alone though, my panties are wet. Just would like to see this in person. Can't wait ^.^ May not get one or anything, but as it stands, it does look promising.

Yeah it would suck not being on TA as much... that's true. Didn't think about that :(

5. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    If it is compatible with Android apps and not just Plaszma-Creative-Android apps, it might be extremely interesting for me and might go back to Creative. I just hope it is well implemented.

The Zii egg player is the developer edition. They still don't know when the consumer edition will be available.

The ipod touch needs competition. That would make Apple make a better device.

6. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Exactly. That's why I hope this product does do some-what well. Because if it does, that will push Apple to do better. I am hoping Apple will get a leg up on the situation because I like Apple products, but there are things that piss me off about it. Like I said, if this device can out perform the iDevice in it's weakest points, that will really make Apple look another way. And if not, then they will proabaly lose a customer lol

7. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    #27 Kamazar, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    According to CNet, there's a possibility that Creative Labs either won't sell the device to consumers and'll just give it to another company that'll rename it. The current device being sold on the web site is just to get devs interested. If it picks up, it'll be released. There's a video, too.

Article.

8. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah that is weird that they may sell it off. But I can understand if they don't feel like they can take the heat of entering the Mobile Phone market. It's gotta be a bitch. I just hope it wouldn't end up in the wrong companies hands heh.

9. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    ... Microsoft? *laughs hysterically*

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    You know, as I wrote that, I imagined Bill Gates running into his office SMASHING the ZuneHD and picking this up ahahahaahahaha

11. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    very true. +1

12. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    You can see here a demo of a game.

13. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

The Framerate sorta looks like poo

14. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    That was an awful demonstration video. It was short, and the spots they showed off were terrible. It was smooth in certain parts, but kind of had bad framerate mid-video. That could be part of the dev of the games issue too, as it lagged when it hit what appeared to be outside areas. Not enough compression or some sh*t I dunno. Not THAT fascinating really. I want to see more...

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The SoC used in the Zii Egg (iirc, ZMS-05) uses dual ARM9 CPUs, and the "GPU", called a "media processing array" is apparently a group of DSPs called "PEs" (processing elements) tied to another processor (another ARM9?).

PEs?

Sounds a whole lot like Sony's PS3 nonsense. Hell..."StemCell", "Cell"...yep...same sort of deal.

So maybe the issue with the demo is that, y'know...just like PS3, getting all those PEs to work and render things takes much more work than with the traditional GPU set up.

For comparison's sake, the upcoming ZuneHD uses an NVidia Tegra SoC, which is an ARM11 MPcore (multicore ARM11) CPU tied to an NVidia mobile GPU apparently.

iPhone 3Gs (and probably the next iPod touch) uses, of course, an ARM Cortex A8 CPU with a PowerVR SGX GPU.

So...y'know who wins?

Whoever holds stock in ARM :p

Seriously though...I'm not a tech expert, but from a marketing perspective...iPod is probably the most recognizable brand. Chances are it will continue to hold onto the percentage of the market it currently has no problems due to that recognition alone.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, to those going on about 720p and 1080p output:

Technically...3Gs should be capable of that sort of thing as well. The ARM CPU and specifically the SGX GPU is more than up to the task, and indeed I think HD output is specifically mentioned in Imagination Technologies (developers of PowerVR GPUs) spec sheets.

Apple just hasn't implemented it, I guess. Perhaps they could, via software updates.

17. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

You think the jailbreak will be called "Scrambled Egg?"

18. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    /slap

:rolleyes: