The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, I got it working again with the towel trick, but it almost didn't work. The console itself is pretty unreliable; I never know what's going to go wrong next.

That said, I might pick up a new model eventually. Wifi is nice since rung a cord through my room is a bit if a hassle at times, and the issue prevention system will be a God send if it works like advertised.

2. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Well you should probably stop doing the towel trick for a start. It's really bad for your console.

You can do a safer variation of the towel trick fairly easily. Open the console (you only need to get to the innards, so it's not quite as much of a strip down as for an x-clamp), take out the fan (but leave it plugged in), and lie it over the heat-sink above the CPU. Turn on the console for about 10 - 15 minutes, then leave to cool for half an hour. This will overheat only the GPU, and not the entire console.
    If this has no effect, then you can move the DVD drive out the way, place the fan over the GPU, so you will then overheat the CPU. You should only leave the console on for 5 minutes max for this one, to avoid doing any damage.

I might have the CPU and the GPU the wrong way round in my explanation, and can never remember which is which in the Xbox.

3. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, it sounds easier, but I'm trying to avoid voiding my warranty. I have a couple months left on it for the red ring, and if it reverts back to red ring, I'll probably give up and send it in. After that point, I'll have absolutely no issue with it, but for now the towel trick is the only thing I can think of that doesn't void my warranty.

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well I've had no problems with my Slim. Sounds like your xbox is dying, trade it in while it still functions and buy a new one. That's what I did.

And actually, Microsoft CS is the best I've experienced, don't know who you talked to.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    The towel trick seems to be a universal fix for most of my issues so far. If that ever fails me, I'll probably sell it and pick up a slim, although my fear is that I'll lose all of my saved data, DLC/Arcade games (which are just a pain to download), etc. Any way to easily transfer from one console to another?

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    You can either buy a $25 or so data transfer cable to transfer everything across, or you can simply use USBs like I did.

Once that's done you simply need to use a quick and easy license transfer tool and you're all set!

7. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Using USB hard drives easiest, just make sure you start backing up now incase your console does die.

If for whatever reason you want to use the data transfer cable, just get one off ebay, paying $25 for a new one doesn't make any sense imo.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You wanna be careful who you tell you've got a red ring to. :eek:

9. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    My copy of Enslaved has arrived perfectly on time =D
    will post some impressions when i get a chance to play it more

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    If it's anything as good as the demo, then it rocks.

11. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    My initial impressions of Enslaved are what I expected. It's a pretty straightforward game, and offers more of what you find in the demo. It's very linear, which is slightly disappointing, as the environment really feels like a massive playground, and would have lead itself beautifully to an open world game, or even just a little more interactivity.

Still, if you enjoyed the demo and like these kind of games, it's satisfying. Just don't expect anything amazingly innovative.

12. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    So, 11 days to go... although, I really hope you know what I'm talking about people :)

13. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    13 days to go for the UK... I'm going away though so I won't be getting it till end November.

14. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Well that has to suck

15. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Sell your TV to fund buying it. No wait, bad idea.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'll be on holiday too, but I don't mind at all. I'll miss the release for Fallout and Vanquish, but when I get home I'll have both of them to play, plus Rock Band 3 and maybe The Force Unleashed 2 as well. It's gonna be an awesome day.

17. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    ehehe it's not that I can't afford it, just I'd only get to play it for two days before going, so I figured I may as well put if off till I get back.

besides, I'm looking forward to my trip :D

18. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    So... Should I buy Dead Rising 2 or should I wait until Tuesday for the Borderlands GOTY Edition?

19. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    Halo: Reach (Have Halo 3) or wait for CoD:Black Ops (Don't have MW2)

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Get Dead Rising 2 and a used copy of Borderlands if you can, then buy the DLC later.