The worst product ever made by Apple?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I'm going with the lightning to HDMI cable..... We have 2 of them for our 4 minis, and they both freeze up. They sometimes won't allow video streaming, and I have never had a game play for more than 5 minutes w/o issues.

What do you think is the worst product ever put out by Apple?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Nothing Apple puts out today compares to the crap they released before Steve Jobs returned in 1997. Back then it was almost embarrassing to be an Apple customer.

3. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I wouldn't know.... bought my first Apple product in 2002, I think it was.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    First Apple IIe in 1983, first Mac in 1989. The mid 1990's were a nadir for the company: their product line was unfocused and out-of-date, with "revolutionary" technologies always promised and never delivered. System 9 was a kind of a joke compared to Windows NT.

Not to say that Apple hasn't put out duds in the Jobs/Cook era. Personally, I would nominate their earbuds -- they're okay when new, but every one I've owned has stopped working properly within a month.

5. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I hear the Pippin gaming console was pretty disappointing. A product that gets discontinued after a year can't be good...

In the modern day, I don't know. Probably the headphones that were shipped with iProducts before the EarPods. Those broke quite often and the cable was prone to stop working.

The new EarPods are really good, except for the cable. It is a little better, but can still stop working properly if it's bent too much too many times.

The chargers before lightning were awful as well. The weak rubber at both ends always ripped and started coming off exposing the cable. That can't be safe. They also stopped working properly so you had to position your phone when charging so that the cable was bent at the exact angle, otherwise it didn't charge.

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Really? All my Apple earbuds have lasted at least a year or longer before messing up.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Maybe I have bad luck. Or too much ear wax ;).

8. jicon

jicon Member

Jun 17, 2012
    For a company that makes THE best trackpad on a laptop, I'm always scratching my head with Apple mice, including the puck mouse that came with the first iMacs. Horrible.

The move to solder RAM on to motherboards recently is another poor design choice, which I guess ultimately has better financial gains... but still.

Their Macbook Pros and Airs are the preferred computing choice for myself though I've always been underwhelmed by the graphics chips available.

9. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    The between beats headphones and the accessories that come with your phone. Those chargers have a shorter shelf life than bread. I think they spent more money making those awesome boxes than the accessories.

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Oh the Chargers that come with the phones! It makes me sad thinking about it!

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Easy question!
    The stupid Apple Watch, of course! ;)

12. braindamaged23

braindamaged23 Active Member

Jul 8, 2015
    There ears-speakers torn all the time :(

13. addictor

addictor Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    that's so true lol

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Wow--I had one bad HDMI adapter (lasted until just after the warranty). Hopefully #2 will last longer!

I think worst might be the Yo-Yo power adapter... with a clever but super-bulky way to store just ONE of its two cords...