iPhone The World Ends With You: Solo Remix (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    That's so weird, though. On multiple occasions I've had apps tell me BEFORE downloading if I didn't have enough space (even when I clearly had what I believed to be enough room to download the app). I never realized before that apps were compressed. So assuming those other apps knew how much room they REALLY needed, why didn't this one?

2. joey9

joey9 New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Hey,
    Do you guys sometimes have problems with the game? The screen occasionally goes black but the game keeps on going. It only happens for a split second but it happens pretty frequently when in a battle.

Thanks

3. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Possible that the OS makes a guess as to the uncompressed size by multiplying the download package by 1.5, 2, or some other number like that. TWEWY has a nearly 1:4 compression ratio, which is quite huge and very unusual. Compressed media assets don't typically compress further at all, and compressed binaries usually average 1:1.5.

My guess is they're using either uncompressed sound or graphics in the final package. Don't ask me why they'd do that.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I got to play the iOS version a bit last night thanks to a friend and here are just a few thoughts.

The graphics look fantastic, after staring at the largely pixelated DS screen so long made me lose track of the beauty of this artwork.

The sound is anemic on the iPhone headphones. I tried them with my old Shure E5c and the sound was immaculate since it's all uncompressed but I really wanted it the bass to be heavier, I feel it would fit better with the overall theme.

Combat on the single screen is more difficult than the DS. On the DS you have several options for your partner the default being a 2sec delay before the game takes over their actions. My first DS playthrough I NEVER used my partner, with enemies appearing on both screens you could stand still and your partner would continue fighting. On iOS you have to manually fight with your partner which makes things more chaotic, add to this the inherent lack of precision when using the touch screen and it becomes even tougher.

Now those may sound like complaints but rest assured they are not. The game was made to be chaotic and frantic during the battles. It was not made for you to stand perfectly still taking easy shots while your partner chips away at the noise. If an enemy is next to you there is no way to put a precision flame wall on them, you need to move/dodge. It becomes a much more interesting game of stick and move. The way it was designed to be, and benefits, in my opinion, from the switch.

Im not sure about how tin pin and mingle PP work since I couldn't get that far in my time with the game but I hope to hear from my friend about it soon.

My major concern with things like this is that Square Enix may have altered things like using twitter for mingle PP or maybe removing a feature like they did with the hidden card game in Final Fantasy II for iOS.

If you haven't played the game and you can spare 2.3GB then this is the definitive version.

If you own the DS version then you aren't missing much, it'll boil down to how much you want the game on your iPad.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    When downloading from the Appstore you generally need double the file size. 500mb to get the app (which is actually a type of .zip file) then the additional space to decompress it. If you didn't know it was compressed before then you probably didn't have the double. In the case of TWENY you may have the double but then the system gets surprised at how large the file actually is and errors because it doesn't have all the space it needs. In this case you need closer to 3GB. 533mb to get the app and 2.3GB for the uncompressed file.

Hope that helps a bit

6. Rothgarr

Dec 19, 2010
    That makes sense, thanks.

7. truthwritten

truthwritten Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    How bad are graphics when playing on new iPad? Should I get on this or on my iPhone 4?

8. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    They look fine to me.

9. Rothgarr

Dec 19, 2010
    They're not terrible, it's just not retina. Think of other games that aren't optimized for retina and that's what you get.

10. doctapeppa

doctapeppa New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Am I the only one that this crashes a lot for? I'm on Ipad 2 and it is playable but it crashes like every 15 mins. The crashes are very annoying. I can't do the synergy thing with Josh, at all, because after I finish tapping the cards and the timer runs out it crashes to desktop every time. It also crashes randomly, usually when transitioning from dialog to the map area. It never crashes when actually fighting or when running around or during dialogue. Mostly when it's loading something.

By "crashing" I mean it just quits to desktop out of nowhere. When I re-open the app it starts off from the loading screen.

Ipad 2, not jailbroken, Ipad version of the game. This even happens immediately after a restart.

11. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010

I would have the typical response of did you restart the device, did you do a cold reboot/shutdown, (holding both buttons down until shuts down) are you closing out all of the running apps before you play the game and then try from there. The biggest problem I notice with with most IOS device owners is that they assume they can leave their apps open and go to the next one with no problem, until they have 20 or 30 apps open. Some of those apps deal with memory management well, but others still demand a bit of memory to run in background even when notin use, which in combination with other apps running can hinder performance of high memory demanding apps like this one.

12. doctapeppa

doctapeppa New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    #52 doctapeppa, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

Yes. Complete reboot using "slide to power off" slider. I'll try the two button reboot. Only app open after reboot is TWEWY. I am thinking maybe a corrupt file? Is that possible on iOS? If I reinstall is there a way to keep my save? I've googled an don't see other people complaining of this problem.

Update: Rebooting with home+sleep did nothing. It still crashes. Now it's even worse. I am at the last fight on week 2, day 7 and can't make it though the fight without it crashing so I can't advance any further. I've tried it 5 times now. Each time I have to start the super long dialogue/cut scene that precedes this fight before I actually get into the fight. I kill maybe two monsters and it just quits to the desktop. I'm pretty damn far in the game and would hate to have to start over.

13. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I completed the DS version way back, it's quite okay, but I never understood why this game got so popular....

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=150239][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150254][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150222][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150228][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=150232][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150053][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150221][​IMG][/thread] [thread=150225][​IMG][/thread] [thread=149924][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU: SOLO REMIX[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    29/08/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this amazing game that is considered one of the best role playing games ever designed for anything?

[size=+3][thread=150472]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

Poll close
    09-07-2012 at 06:28 AM

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

15. Christian86

Christian86 Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    pin evolving

how do I gain mingle pp on the ios version and if I max out a pin lvling it through battling can I not evolve it if it requires mingle pp?

16. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Really let down by this, been waiting on this to be fixed.

17. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Yeah, I'm bummed. I sold my DS version because I thought, "well, I'd rather play it on iPad or iPhone."

I don't think playing it on an iPhone 3GS would be much fun, though, and that's my only non-iOS8 device.

Screw you, Square. Guess I'd better hurry up and play all the Dragon Quest games before they get broken and don't get fixed too since I sold my DS versions of them as well.

18. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Just got news it's been fixed for iOS downloading now. Will buy more SE games thanks to this. All is forgiven. Very, very pleased about this. It was a sore point with me and I wouldn't look at another SE game since this happened but now they're supporting it at least I'll get a chance to have a good go with it.

I'll be buying DQ 6 now. Thank you very much Square Enix and especially TA for informing us otherwise I'd never know.

Start an app subscription and I'll be in it.

19. burningzenithx

Nov 1, 2011
    Austin, TX
    iOS 8.4 is out today. Prepare for TWEWY to break again. I kid, I kid.

20. nhojuhc

nhojuhc Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Hooray its been updated!