iPhone The World Ends With You: Solo Remix (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Huh. I instabought so didn't see that. Looks like they copied the iPhone description verbatim. I suspect stupidity rather than malice, but you're right--not kosher.

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, OK, apart from lack of retina, how is the iPad version? Particularly the gameplay? I am very interested, since I have heard tons of good stuff about the game, particularly it's story, but if combat gameplay is repetitive/boring/frustrating, I'll have to pass.

3. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    incompatible with iPad 1

Yet another game that's not compatible with iPad 1 :(

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #24 Bool Zero, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Well I've been out of it the past day or so! I didn't know this hit the market so soon! So I have to spend 20 bucks on it (begrudgingly, as I just spent $25 a few days ago) as I loved this on the DS and it seems worthy to have on my iPad! Shame about not having retina, but that seems the trend for Square/Enix when it comes to IOS gaming (has Final Fantasy Tactics been updated yet?... I think not)! Hopefully they will get thier finger on the pulse of app store gamers, but sadly I don't think they care to; they know the fanbase will settle and buy their games regardless, so they don't have to put the extra effort in!

What's the uncompressed size? I am still saving some space for Baldur's Gate next month (1.5-1-8GB uncompressed is the word on that one) so it be nice to know if I have to start planning some deletions!

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Sadly, I realized this problem back with the introduction of the iPad 2 as I noticed the trend starting them. I waited until iPad 3 to upgrade (my wife stuck with her iPad 2). I hate to say it, but it may be time to upgrade... I personally just got tired of games running like crap on it and the crashing issues (introduced in part by IOS 5 and it's different memory management system (sure, they patched it, but still). Trust me when I say that I understand your frustration!

6. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Well, TWEWY:SR is one of the two non-compatible games I really want to play (the other one being Sky Mail); when there's 20 or more of them, I'll upgrade. I guess the iPad 5 wil be on the market by then :)

7. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    So it doesn't support ipsd 3 retina? Do the game run smooth? Just can't decide wether I should dish out 20$ for this I or save or up for something else :(

8. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Outside of the concerns about the game not being supported for multiple devices and the lack of iPad retina support, how is the gameplay?

I remember briefly trying the DS version years ago but know it had two separate screens and sets of activities at the same time. I'm interested if anyone has actual gameplay comments yet (I imagine these will come in later today based on the new release). I don't mind the price tag for a full featured game and I'll only play it on my iPad (once I purchased an iPad, playing games on an iPhone feels like the screen is just to small).

9. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I also want to know how it plays on iPad. There are a (very) few games which actually play worse with more screen space, and I think this might be one of them, but if it's good I'd rather play on iPad.

10. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I've played the first couple of Days (makes more sense once you're in the game). Plays much like the original DS game, which is to say, very well. I've not found that it suffers from more screen space.

Actually, I'd expect the iPhone version to be worse than DS (and iPad) since the screen is small and you use a fingertip instead of the DS stylus. The larger iPad screen makes up for the fatter input device.

It is a bummer that the graphics aren't Retina for iPad 3, but they aren't pixelicious either. I haven't seen anything jarring.

Even at $20, I highly recommend it. It's a unique RPG experience, and very stylish. I just wish Squeenix wasn't screwing with the compatibility model so harshly. Retina iPhone at 2x probably also would've looked fine on the iPad 3 and would have played on both devices.

11. One-Shot

One-Shot Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I bought it on iPad since that is what I mostly use, and it works and looks just fine. Could always hope they update it for retina on the iPad 3, but I could live without it.

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #32 soldat7, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Well, we're still waiting on Final Fantasy Tactics to be updated, so....

Anyways, I find it odd that they prioritized the uncompressed sound over the Retina display. I bet most people don't bother with earbuds, and if they do, they're probably crappy ones anyways. My point is that most people are simply not equipped to appreciate the better sound. Sadly, that seems to be where the huge file size is coming from, and not the high-res assets.

13. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    To this point, btw, doesn't look kosher that they did.

The Dev agreement has language saying you can't prevent iPhone/iPad compatibility unless hardware strictly dictates it because some bit like a camera isn't there on iPad.

See what I posted here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2407501&postcount=413

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Since they are both the same size, I am suspecting, that the 2 are identical..
    All it is is a flag in one of the files..
    1. Iphone 2. Ipad 3. Universal..

Guess it's their way to have customers pay for both versions..

15. Haoulelouch

Haoulelouch Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Is this app not compatible at all for iPod touch? Can't even find it on the AppStore. I thought iPhone 4 wasn't a more powerful device than iPod touch 4g yet the game supports the former device?

Still I should probably play chrono trigger before consider buying this.

16. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Nope. The iPhone 4 has twice as much RAM than the iPod Touch 4.

17. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    All hardware discussions aside, this is a truly wonderful game so far. I can already see this being in my GOTY contenders. The only thing that might keep it off is that it isn't a game that was native to this platform. However, the fact that I never played it on DS, and that they made significant changes specific to this platform counteract that. I'm thoroughly impressed.

18. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Can anyone else confirm that this game takes up 2.3GB of space on their iPad rather than the advertised 589MB?

I bought this game after confirming I'd have enough space on my iPad 3. Then partially after downloading I got a storage space error. Crap, my iPad is already lean with only games/utilities/etc that I use. Well I just spent $20 on this stupid game I better suck it up and delete some stuff. I have over a GB free. I try downloading again. Same thing, the iPad fills up. I delete some more so that I have 1.8 GB free. Download again, it fills up again.

WTF.

I clear out over 3 GB of apps. Download, finally success. I check the app size for TWEWY and it's 2.3GB.

Again, WTF.

I was really on the fence about buying this. But seeing that it would fit and moreso that it was Retina on iPad sealed the deal for me. And both were not true. I don't care how good the game winds up being, I feel cheated, especially at $20.

19. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes, it takes up 2.3GB, both the iPhone and iPad versions are similar sizes. No, it was not advertised at 589MB - the size listed on the App Store is the size of the download, not the installed size. This is the same for every app.

20. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Thanks for the impressions. iPad version it is!