iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. terminalman

terminalman Active Member

Nov 10, 2012
    No, not black magic. (Although to me it might as well be, given how much things have changed since I was a programmer.)

What I'm saying is that there's more to getting the game to us than just fixing the code. Squeenix and Apple both have processes and procedures for testing an update; Apple may have other requirements that would impede the process. The jail breakers don't have to go through quality assurance, playtesting, and all the other hoops and hurdles that a corporation requires for its products.

If it were just a matter of a code fix, we would've seen an update by now. The fact that we haven't implies there's more to it.

2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #1362 RebornProphet, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    When talking physical platforms, yes.

Like having a load of PS3 games and holding onto them expecting them to work on PS4, yeah that's not going to happen.

Buying an app on iOS 7 in August 2014 and it not working on iOS 8 in September 2014? Entirely different.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Did you sign some kind of support contract with Square Enix?

4. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Your arrogance and single mindedness is quite tiresome. As is your inability to answer a question or do so without asking another question.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's a valid question, isn't it? All software purchases you make regardless of whether or not they're an iOS game or a piece of PC shareware you paid for are sold without any kind of warranty or promise of any kind of support beyond what the company is willing to offer. You didn't download TWEWY based on some kind of five year performance and compatibility guarantee with Square Enix, you downloaded it because it looked cool and worked with your iPhone at the time you purchased it. I know it's cool to get really mad over this kind of thing, but I really think most of the people who are upset over this are upset that they were reminded that a game doesn't work anymore. If you bought something 2.5 years ago, it's in a backlog of games you will very likely never play.

Which question am I not answering?

6. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    You keep referring to examples in terms of years when the one I mentioned two posts ago was a month (Aug 14 to Sept 14).

It's not that I think it's "cool" to get mad, I just feel that the way this is being handled by both SEGA and SE is extremely poor. As I also said earlier, if Apple allowed us to roll our devices back to a compatible version of iOS where these games ran fine, there wouldn't be this issue.

We're not talking about a period of years here or massively different hardware. This is the same device generation being unable to run a piece of software that worked fine one month and then didn't the next. The customer base was then told a fix was coming and then it was pulled, which is deceitful.

I don't believe that software bought on the App Store today should work in five years time. I do believe that software that worked in August on iOS 7 on an iPad Air should be supported on iOS 8 from September the same year.

Also, for the record, I'm currently onto Apple support chat to have the charge refund for the IAP revoked. I won't be made an example of in any article. I'd rather pay the £10.99.

7. terminalman

terminalman Active Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I think it's the manner in which you're playing devil's advocate, Eli. You're not acknowledging that there's any validity to people's complaints. One sentence questions sound dismissive or aggressive, especially when we're relying solely on text and can't hear the tone of your voice, etc.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's interesting that it took this forum thread to make you realize that taking free IAP as compensation from a developer who has nothing to do with this at all on any level is pretty crazy. But, it's the world we live in I suppose, and I'm the arrogant one... lol.

9. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    That's it exactly.

It's also the perceived refusal to see the validity of others complaint.

I agree with Eli that expecting apps to work 3 years later is, to use Eli's words, "setting yourself up for disappointment."

But a game that worked on an iPad Air on iOS 7 in August 2014 should be updated to work on an iPad Air running iOS 8 in September 2014. I don't think that's expecting too much. Especially when SE actually said the update WOULD come.

10. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #1370 RebornProphet, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Try sticking to the topic, Eli. Don't make it personal. This discussion has teetered on boiling over, I've bit my tongue as no doubt you have.

You ignored and cut 99% in the post you quoted. Why not address those comments rather than side track to a condescending personal remark?

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Sure. I understand the chain of command and such in production houses. Very similar to television shows and commercials. But if it only takes me minutes to fix the game on my own phone, it would only take them having one programmer a few minutes or less to fix it for iOS 8. I'm just questioning why stop supporting it NOW, when the fix is quick and painless? One person working a few minutes is easily worth 3 sales that day.

But, sure. It's their product, and they have a right to stop supporting because of any reasons they want to give. Or not give. My main question I guess could come down to, "Why stop supporting this game, but continue supporting Chaos Rings and Chrono Trigger?" ...which I'm sure just comes down to current sales. But I agree with a previous poster saying that if they sold so many months ago, it would be nice to make the fix available to everyone now... while it's an easy one.

Anyway, without an answer from them, this is as pointless as asking Sega for Sonic 3. Which we all also want.

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    138 phantom page? Did I miss anything? :eek:

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Quick tweaks don't really exist in the world of big game studios. This update likely needs to get greenlit through several levels, they need to find someone to do it, that person needs to sit down and fix it (and potentially take time to familiarize themselves with the game source), then if it's anything like similar sized outfits it would need to go through a whole internal Q&A sweep.

This is the benefit indie studios have over these bigger studios. A dude working out of his bedroom can go "Oh, neat, this little tweak seems to have fixed it, #### it." Big studios aren't fun to work with. We've often had articles for games we're previewing from large companies get stuck for weeks while they decide what text they want on a screenshot. Similarly, right now I'm waiting to reveal a really awesome new game from a huge studio who are currently trying to decide something even sillier before I can hit publish on a story.

Hell, remember that Tony Hawk preview I did? All you guys saw was an article and a quick two minute video. I have probably 100 different emails and Skype conversations over the course of about four months to make that happen. So, yeah, for a company the size of Square Enix, "quick tweak" is not in their vocabulary. I promise you.

14. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Now this sounds good ... :D

15. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, when I worked for larger productions it did take much longer to get something out than the smaller ones I'm working on today, so I totally know how that goes. Too bad their PR team seems to take just as long as the designers/programmers' production managers.

When I go to their American site, though, it looks like they just did everyone a solid by taking it off the App Store until they can fix it.

"Suspension of Service for iPhone/iPad Version

Thank you for using the iPhone/iPad Version of The World Ends with You -Solo Remix-.

On February 13, 2015 4:30 p.m. (PST), the service for the iPhone/iPad Version of The World Ends with You -Solo Remix- was suspended.

We are actively working with all related parties to make the service available again; however, we are as yet unable to inform you of any clear and definite timeline.

You will still be able to use the downloaded app*, but please be advised that you will no longer be able to redownload the app while the service is suspended.
    *Up to iOS7 only; the app cannot be used on iOS8 and after.

We apologize for the wait and inconvenience, and ask for your patience and understanding."

It looks like they may, indeed, be getting each country's office on board with this temporary removal while it gets fixed. Here's hoping to a re-release sometime this year! Shoot, maybe even before Chaos Rings 3.

And, man. That must get tiring hearing the publishers wrestle over minutia.

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ pft CR3...

Was there ever any news on that? I got the weird feeling they've moved on to freemium for global audiences and are scrapping translation plans because they don't want to spend the money. It's pretty much the same mind set as TWEWY.

17. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #1377 RoboWarrior, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    [FONT=Helvetica Neue, arial, sans-serif]Not sure what people may think of this but I expect a game that paid ($6.99+) for to work on the devices it was optimally released on until software support for that devices has ended. Say all you want about 'developer needs money' but if they are going into the app store that is what most people are probably expecting. Deviating from such standard would probably cause people not to buy paid games and increase FTP game regardless or not. Considering how little people are paying for paid game compared to free games, what Square is doing is going to bite them back later if they are going to release any future games. Partially this can be considered Apple's fault since they do not support rolling back OS. In this case, this is on Square since they did several things that would cause uproar. Apple has always released new OS beta early for developers to get their app ready. Square did not do this. Second, they also placed in the description is will be updated. They lied about this. Third, they did not pull the game prior suddenly dropping support for it. If this game was pulled soon after iOS 8, we would not be seeing such elicit response. Rather Square might have made less than ideal profit during the iOS christmas sale and my 4s would't be on iOS 8. [/FONT]

18. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, no idea. I was waiting, ready to fork over for it once I heard it went premium. It looked like fun!

19. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    There is a PS Vita bundle but not too sure if that is translated or not for English.

20. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The PS Vita bundle is probably why iOS gamers are waiting for an English version of CR3, I'd guess.