iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I had been waiting for a good time to buy this. Guess I waited way too long. AND I'm still on iOS 7 so I could've played it.

Seriously, if the jailbreak community can figure out how to fix the app for iOS 8, why can't SE just do that and update it??

2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Just off Apple support chat, had a very nice conversation and raised my concerns about developers not updating their apps for simple iOS 8 compatibility and they had a look at my account.

Because the games had been bought so long ago they couldn't refund me (knew that was the case), but what the guy did do was allow me to choose another few apps, buy them, and he would refund them while I was on the chat.

I took the episode 2-5 IAP for The Wolf Among Us since I'd been eyeing that up. That was £10.99 so it'll debit my card now then I'll get it refunded in 7-10 days.

He asked if I wanted another app too, but I declined. The £10.99 refund for the Wolf Among Us IAP was more than generous. Also said he'd feed back the info about the developers not updating their apps for iOS 8, as customers shouldn't feel ripped off by Apple or any developer.

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    That's very cool.

EDIT: from Apple. Not from SE. From Apple.

4. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #1324 chaos_envoys, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    @shaun, interesting news i got here... Form this link
    http://support.eu.square-enix.com/news.php?id=5581&la=2&n=2&drt=1423841400&tag=cf8ba47134134a70de17043ae119d98c2e9eea15
    The europe square enix just stated that the TWEWY solo remix service is just being suspended, not discontinued... The NA support center still says that it's discontinued though...
    http://support.na.square-enix.com/news.php?id=5541&la=1&n=2&drt=1423812600&tag=0613c8577825dce1c8ca84866d2128e9b772ffdc

And the news stated on the EU site is newer... It's dated 14th feb while at NA, it's dated 13th feb

5. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Yeah, as I said when he asked me to pick another couple of apps after the Wolf Among Us pack I actually felt greedy. The £10.99 IAP was very generous, and gracefully accepted. I'm sure others would have looked around the store and gobbled up some other stuff, but I declined.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

How many years should an app be updated before you guys don't feel like you've been ripped off to the point of needing to be given other things by Apple to compensate? Is there a number?

7. terminalman

terminalman Active Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Jeez. Is this company even capable of a coherent and consistent response?

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    that sounds like a new bob dylan song.

sorry.

9. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #1329 chaos_envoys, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    I don't feel ripped off if they didn't promise us in the first palace.. I was considering to buy the ipad version for my ipad mini when this happened.. Just glad i didn't buy it.. My iphone version is still running fine as my iphone os are still ios 7.. But i really want to play this on my ipad..

10. terminalman

Nov 10, 2012
    I still maintain that it's not the lack of eternal support. It's the willful deception of the past several weeks that's got me upset.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I was wondering when Eli would pop in to throw in a snarky and condescending comment.

12. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Here comes the developer apologist.

It's not about the length of time for me, it's the principle. These are a) premium apps, b) relatively new titles in terms of iOS gaming, and c) both SEGA and SquareEnix have effectively stolen money from every customer.

It's morbid laziness. It's a compatibility fix. This isn't some indie developer with stretched resources, it's SEGA and SquareEnix. £2.99 and £12.99 a piece, times how many?

Unacceptable. I'm not saying it should be updated every year with new features. But it should be able to simply LOAD for Christ sakes.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's not condescending, it's a legitimate question. This is one of the many reasons why we have free to play on the App Store. What iOS gamers want is an endless supply of updates, eternal support, and a product that's essentially evergreen. iOS developers have responded with free to play which are games as a service which offer all of these things funded in a way that's actually sustainable. Unrealistic demands are one of the many things that's driving developers away from making the things you guys actually want... But no one stops to think about that. :(

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    fffffff my braiiin

15. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Calm down Shaun, don't let squeenix burn your brain ;)

16. RebornProphet

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    This has nothing to do with this issue. We don't have more premium games because people don't buy them or they say "I'll wait for the sales" or they moan that the price is too high. People not buying premium games or moaning about prices is what is driving developers away from the premium model.

What we have here is a rare case where a high priced premium game DID sell well, and they simply went ... "Doesn't load on iOS 8? Bin it then." This kind of behaviour from two highly respected and well funded and resourced developers is only going to hurt premium gaming because some will think twice about buying premium apps when a year down the line and one iOS update later, it doesn't load and they just bin it.

That's unacceptable.

17. terminalman

Nov 10, 2012
    No, what we have here is a case where they SAID they were going to update it, both on the AppStore and in support emails, and then never carried through.

Dropping support for an app is one thing. Promising support with one hand while discontinuing it with the other is a different matter altogether.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

2.5 years later it doesn't work because of changes Apple made to iOS. It just seems like all this anger is really misplaced. 2.5 years is an eternity in game development, an industry where you're happy to be employed on a month to month basis. Squeenix likely considered TWEWY completed, and moved that team on to something else.

Put yourself in their shoes, it's years after you released something. It's making you barely enough money to buy your team lunch every day, how much effort do you invest in making sure it still works, and are you ripping off your customers because you're focusing your efforts elsewhere?

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Your initial statement does not come off even remotely as a legitimate question, it's a snide quip. If you wanted to open a real discussion you could have framed your statement far better.

As for the state of iOS gaming, it's probably best left to be discussed in a different thread given how particular discussions related to pricing and monetization are routinely shunted off from originating threads.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you recently saw that they said they were going to update it and decided to buy it before the app was pulled, you're still well within the 90 day return window. If you bought it 2.5 years ago and now feel ripped off, well, that's another thing.