iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Highlighting the jb fix wouldn't advocate the practice, it would only serve to show just how simple the fix is that the app needs.

2. terminalman

terminalman Active Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I'm eager to hear what Shaun hears from SE.

I was one of those who bought this game and put it in my queue to play "eventually." It's my fault for not playing the game in all the time I've had it, but I still feel deceived and cheated by the "we're aware of the bug and working on it" AppStore message. It's clear now that was never true—or hasn't been true for months. This can't have been a recent decision.

3. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    This is the more disturbing part. If the JB community figured out a hotfix as quickly as they did without access to the source code, then it's clear that SqE would have come to a similar conclusion months ago had they actually ever looked into it.

Evidently support added the "we are aware and looking into it" to the app description and whoever was in charge of looking into it either decided, or was told, it was too low a priority to even investigate. Meanwhile, they were happy enough to leave the misleading message up AND to leave a knowingly broken app up for sale all this time.

That's either some serious malfeasance on their part or incompetence, neither of which give you a warm fuzzy feeling about them.

4. jesse_dylan

jesse_dylan Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2014
    They've been dicks about this kind of stuff for years.

What I don't get is why Apple can't update its iOS without breaking half the stuff in the App Store.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    So Apple forced you to upgrade to another newer device. Cha-ching!! ;)

6. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #1246 Intendro, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Has anyone tried emailing Square Enix about that easy fix for this game? Tell them they can fix it easily, and fans even did the work already. They should fix it, they have no excuse at all now. #

That doesn't have anything to do with it, an iOS update still has things broken on the new device. A newer device is just needed to play games that require stronger specs.
    If anything this is hurting sales because people have less working things to buy.
    What was your point there? :confused:

Why on earth can't they add things in their new iOS version without taking away compatibility like this? It's bad.

I heard various games had save data loss because of iOS 8. How could you break save data?! Why would you do something that causes that?! It's even worse! More permanent of a problem!

And all they did to break this game was rearranging some folders?! Why couldn't they have iOS itself do what that jailbreak thing's workaround does to preempt the obvious breaking of apps their update did?!
    "Let's break things for this random unnecessary reason, and have the app makers put in the way to fix that, while permanently breaking the ones that the developers don't care to fix."

7. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    You're right, this is my fault. I should have stuck with my iPhone 3GS. I'm sure that's what Apple would prefer.

8. tpianca

tpianca Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know if this applies to other AppStores, but in Brazillian AppStore TWEWY is currently listed under "Essentials" highlight. Shows how much Apple cares if you can play it or not, putting it under a tab likely to be viewed by people who just purchased their new IOS 8 device...

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If only the world would agree to buy this game, rate it a 1-star for not getting iOS8 compatibility, and ask for full refund.

Except for the time spent doing that, i think it's a win-win :D

10. jesse_dylan

Jun 4, 2014
    That's hilarious!

11. terminalman

terminalman Active Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Same is true in the US AppStore.

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    This is very sad. I hadn't even completed it on iPhone yet :(

13. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    A very disturbing read - especially in light of the JB tweak and the posts from JB users who have stated (a) that the fix is trivial, and (b) it works.

I agree with the sentiment that there will be a tipping point where updates cannot maintain backwards compatibility. But TWENY and iOS 8? Seriously? Is this a case of serious miscommunication within SE or couldn't given a **** for their customer base outside of Japan?

I was going to buy TWENY at some stage, because I have no plans to upgrade to iOS 8 on my venerable 16 GB iPad 2. I was even contemplating upgrading to an iPad Air 2, killing any thought of moving to the PS Vita. However, this news has stopped me in my tracks until the full story is revealed.

SE eventually released updates and fixes for other games inc. FFT and have been busy, busy, busy porting over DQ. After such a commitment to mobile, this nonsensical support statement does not make sense.

I will not be buying TWENY until there is a fix for iOS 8 users. I refuse to support such business practices. That said, I'll keep an eye out for feedback from Shaun. It just seems quite a bizarre thing to say, "Screw you guys" when SE have shown a real commitment to mobile.

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    As I suspected, whoever got stuck manning NA support on Superbowl weekend wasn't the final say on the matter.

TWEWY *will* be getting an update. Straight from the horse's mouth.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool. Now the question is how many more months is it going to take to run a search and replace in the code...

16. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    They're calling the problem more complex than they anticipated so... four years?

Always fun to get rare glimpses of the emperor sans pants.

17. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
  18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Wonderful, at least the game is playable for the jb community now.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Well I for one am glad we spent all day being mad about this.

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, we are so silly that we trusted support to give us a true answer. Obviously users should not trust customer support but rather expect the truth to be squeezed out by the media... :rolleyes: