The World Ends With You blocks iPad despite Apple's rules prohibiting that

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    If he (or she) purchased the application, it isn't piracy. Please, don't attempt to convince me otherwise. I'm 33, and have owned "media" in every format imaginable. The DMCA doesn't circumvent (as of yet) the Fair Use doctrine derived from the SC case of Sony Corp. v. Universal Studios. It isn't morally wrong, which is more important to me, to be frank.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Exactly.

3. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I both agree with you totally, and hope that we can discuss this in a different thread. This sort of debate has a nasty way of hijacking every thread it touches.

4. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Perhaps, but...

...that changes things!

Anywho, I haven't purchased the game or any other game by SE as their games don't interest me, but I vote we start a revolution and storm their HQ.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yes, I know. It wouldn't be an issue if people simply took a common sense approach to it. Perhaps some users are too young to even remember the pre-digital mediascape; when ownership was implied as opposed to licensing. I tell you one thing, consumers are a lot more willing to take it in the rear then they had in the past.

I know there are plenty of users here that have extensive ROM collections. Ya know, those are legal to own if you have a physical copy of the original. IMO, it's also perfectly moral if you had owned a copy which is unuseable for any reason aside from having sold it.

I wonder how many TA users know that there used to be PC software rental shops.

Sorry if anyone thinks I've threadjacked; this is just an issue that drives me up a wall.

6. polycontrale

polycontrale Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm anything but young (I'm older than you), and I'm actually one of the people encouraging others to go ahead and modify the ipa they purchased. The person I replied to did, in fact, admit to pirating other apps (as was noted by the poster above you), and that's what I was referring to. So... Yeah.

7. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    I can confirm that the iphone ver of the game plays well on the ipad 3..
    I modded my itunes bought .ipa file to make it compatible with ipad and installed using "that" application, and the game plays really well.. The menu is crisp and the field is a little pixelated using 2x mode.. No crash so far..

8. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Touch Arcade and doing an article about this issue?

I wonder if TA would consider moving this forum to an article since this issue impacts us as consumers but also companies producing ios apps. All companies producing ios apps need to be held to the same standard. One of the reasons the ios apps are so popular is that it has allowed small and independent game companies or app companies to produce across platforms.

We won't have .99 - 4.99 priced apps if only the large game and app companies produced and the apple or android systems wouldn't be as popular. I'm not against paying $19.99 or $17.99 although I am unsure which version to get since I hear the ipad version is not even supported for the retina display but I am against having major companies not play by the same rules.

Lastly, this can have a BIGGER implication which is other app companies can start looking for loop holes as well and since so many new apps make it into the market apple can't stop all of the companies that are doing something like this... In turn this can actually have a negative impact to the openness of small companies being able or willing to do universal apps or keep this prices low etc...

I'm not a tech person and have no clue if what square has done is close to breaking the rules or not but it does seem fishy... Although I know square has not ever done universal apps I don't know if they have blocked an iphone app to be used on the ipad or not??? If not, this is a bad precedent for them to begin and one that needs to be strongly considered by Apple.

I believe TA has a strong voice and one that can make a difference with this issue. We as consumers unfortunately are weaker (not by #'s) but by media coverage or apple caring...

I strongly urge TA to consider exploring this issue from the long-term impact this may cause ios and apps in the future... I also think they need to defend and prevent other smaller companies from the harm this may cause ios apps as well as make sure ALL companies are held to the same scrutiny and rules.

9. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    It would seem to me that this is a badly executed gambit on the part of SqE to compel iPad owners to purchase the iPad version. Although why anyone would want to use a graphically rich iPhone app on their iPad, aside from being able to boast of saving a few bucks on an app that comes to market with a hefty price tag, is beyond me.
    Whether I get a premium product on my iPad with their iPad version is another question altogether.
    Apple has certainly been caught short. Where they might be forgiven for missing smaller devs who have tried the same thing, allowing SqE to play hanky-poo with the Dev License Agreement simply cannot be allowed.

10. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I tweeted about this to Hodapp before posting in the boards here. He never replied, so my guess is as of that point there was no interest. Possible if this gets momentum in the boards that might change.

It's a shame, because I feel this really needs visibility. Beyond feeling personally a little screwed, I'm concerned it will break the tablet ecosystem.

I work for Mozilla, and see the pain of developing for Android firsthand. When you develop for a phone, your stuff often won't work on tablets. And when it works on this tablet here, it might not work on this tablet there. One of the reasons iOS is great is because device->tablet compatibility is assured, and because (generally) forward compatibility is assured.

When a developer does something--whether intentional or not--that changes that, I feel it has to be swatted quickly. Otherwise it's legitimized for all developers, and we'll be siloed on device just like Android is.

That's so many more times true for a large developer like Square Enix. This method of lockout just cannot contribute to a high-profile success story, or we'll all pay the price.

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Rules

My background is not in tech but is in government affairs and advocacy and I can say that I truly believe that the only way change will be made is from organizations such as TA to speak up publicly about what could be a major issue.

This issue while initially appears small is actually quite large and can truly impact the entire market and landscape of mobile apps. I no longer have time to play console games although my original PS3 is the best multi media device today...

My concern is the landscape of mobile devices and apps has forever changed the marketplace for developers. I believe this is one of the healthiest things for consumers and developers. However, if a policy is made by Apple and it is not upheld than the policy is useless and developers who "play by the rules" will find decide not to play by the rules any longer and in turn hurts the consumers.

Looking back even just 5 years, we did not have this mobile app developer landscape that we have today within the ios and android world.

I currently believe the market place is in a perfect place to continue changing the landscape for developers and consumers. The competition of aps and creativity is top notch. While I don't like IAP I understand why they are part of the app world...

Moving forward, I can predict and see how the mobile landscape can swing back the other direction with apps not being universal or not being able to be played on multiple devices across platforms within the same os because of loop holes. These loop holes will drive the larger companies to be in the advantage and begin pricing apps higher and the smaller companies will try to follow suit for a while but in the end will actually weaken creativity and the market place.

I strongly urge forum users and fans of mobile apps across ios and android that we request apple to require developers to comply with the rules they set forth so that all developers are treated the same and are not going to exploit "loop" holes...

12. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, I've already heard about one refund for complaining about this, so there's that route. I'm poking around to see if I have an "in" friend to escalate to as well, silicon valley and all.

But I agree, having a gaming site write about this would certainly launch visibility forward. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, but this is one thing I feel like there should be a no-tolerance policy on.

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    it's too bad they did this. i wouldn't have minded paying a middle price like $30 for a universal version. I understand they had to do some work and redraw graphics and port it. but the way they did this it's like they have forced the consumer to pay $40 for a game that 1) is not new, and 2) that has only a little new content.

I mean how much extra cost do you really have in scaling the graphics and adjusting some UI things to work between two resolutions? Really? Because it's definitely not enough to justify paying $40 as if you're buying a DS game on release day. They didn't build it from scratch and it's years old.

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Posts like these make me wish there was a like button! I remember a time when consumers used to defend their position and not that of he companies. With how times have changed and how apethetic and against their own interests consumers have gotten these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this got defended by the wider fanbase rather than critiqued once it gets more exposure.

15. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    As I mentioned in the other thread already sent Apple an email regarding the issue of locking the iPhone version on iPad and I encourage every one to do the same.

16. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    Imagine if Square Enix did the same thing with FF Dimensions :D you'll have to pay $60 for the iPhone and iPad version

17. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #37 geoelectric, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    I won't be at all shocked if they do.

Edit: it's universal, actually. I'm mildly shocked. Two different product teams?

18. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    No they're the same wish they did the same with TWEWY, but FF Dimensions got pulled from the app store

19. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, it's the same company, but within a given company you generally have a multiple product teams, each of which is independently in charge of things like development requirements and pricing for their product. Since these were simultaneously under development for the ports, it's almost certainly two separate teams.

Think this is their first universal app, isn't it?

20. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    They got some weird free and one dollar apps universal but yeah you can consider this as their first big universal release, hope it's not the last and certainly not with the same price a bit cheaper would be nice :D