Universal The Witness (By Thekla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Two reasons on the canadian app store at least :

1st is some people who dont look at the requirements before buying and go like "U game iz s***, crash all de time on me ipad two"

2nd is some people going like "Boring, all you do is solve puzzles, who thought this s*** would be fun !?!"

The the first ones.... well, learn to read. To the second wave.... did you expect a puzzle game to be about shooting a bunch of zombies and slicing through demons with a katana ? How about you read the description !

/rant

2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Guys, I'd definitely put a spoiler warning before you mention the presence of (SPOILER WARNING!) environmental puzzles in this thread. It will literally catastrophically ruin the game for those who haven't played it before.

3. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I was talking about the rating here on Toucharcade :eek: (It's back to 4 now though)

4. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    It's in the TouchArcade review, fairly explicitly (much to the chagrin of people who have already been through the 'Witness moment')... I don't entirely agree with that inclusion, but, yknow.

I agree, in general, about being careful about what gets said explicitly, but I feel like at a certain point (especially now, more than 10 pages into game discussion) TA folks who are playing this game should be able to discuss things without being enigmatic about everything. I think I've just been fairly obtuse in this thread, and no one's been more specific than saying 'environmental', which could refer to a lot of things (in contrast to the review, which is a LOT more revealing). With games like The Witness there's always a tough line to walk in public discussions of the game, but I think this thread has done pretty well with it so far.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Fully agree. Coming to the thread for a specific game (as opposed to a review or a casual mention in a general thread) always entails the risk of spoilers. I think it makes sense to put specific things under spoiler tags, but a discussion about the game features, themes, etc shouldn’t end up looking like a declassified CIA document.

6. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Well aware of the furore surrounding the 'explicit' (yet incredibly vague) review, just don't want that spilling out here. People were upset over the very mention of (SPOILER) environmental puzzles, so perhaps worth avoiding completely, or come up with a code word lol

7. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    Oh, sorry, misunderstood !

Might be the same thing, or it might be people mad with the supposedly ''too revealing'' review of TA (seriously.... (spoilers...)
    saying you can act with the environment doesnt feel like a spoiler to me....
    its actually something i expect, but whatever)

8. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Is anyone else's play time not accurate? I think it's including when the game has recently been opened but is not the active app I am using.

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Where does it show you the play time?

10. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you tap the upper left corner it brings up a menu. if you select to load a game file it tells you how many puzzles you've completed and how long you've played for.

11. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    That figure isn’t the number of hours played, it’s the time of day that the game was saved. (24-hour clock)

12. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    OHHHHHH... that makes much more sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    151 solved, +5.

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    204 + 4

The game is getting better and better.
    I can’t believe it looks so amazing on a iPhone 6S.
    It’s ridiculous.

15. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area

123 +20
    Is the iPhone 6+ that ancient? The game looks pretty bad on it. Luckily I'm playing on my iPro 12.9 (and Wowza!) but it would be nice to switch to the phone once in a while.
    I've posted before about my obsession with this game, and it just keeps getting better! I can't imagine anything topping this anytime soon. Not for me, anyway.

16. maregasbvakija

Oct 1, 2012
    solving one panel after the other... feels like a waste of that beautiful graphic. What's the point for this graphic? Instead make levels to slide panels.

17. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The environment plays a very important part in the game. There is a lot more to it than the puzzles on panels. Have you played the game?

18. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    Puzzle games might not be your forte then.

19. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #139 shfrost, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Devastated!

I'm sick. SICK! The game crashed and I've lost at least a full day's progress. I just dropped from about 140 +30 to 100 +10.
    I've had a number of crashes but my progress was always saved, until now.
    Running on iPad Pro 12.9, iOS 10.x

Is there any way to recover my progress? I tried my iPhone, hoping it had saved the last location but it had not.

I really don't want to try to retrace my steps to redo all those puzzles. And how would I know the same thing wouldn't happen again? I'm just sick.

Edit to say: I just received an email from Support and they are working on a fix that should be release within a few days. Seems they are aware of the problem. Unfortunately, there's no way to recover my progress. Very sad about that, but if I can play again without worry of crashing, I'll be happy (now that I'm over the initial shock).

20. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm not sure whether I'm going to get into this or not yet. There's a lot I like about it but I'm finding the puzzles strangely unsatisfying.

A spoiler free question for those who have played further - do completing any of the 'sets' of puzzles actually do anything when completed? Without giving too much away I've done a few areas around the initial start place but haven't actual noticed any reaction to the completed set?