Universal The Witness (By Thekla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 21, 2017.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Damn — now I’m curious. Awesome, awesome game, BTW.

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    First time player.

100 +1

Pretty sure the +1 means I did something to
    a black pillar
    because when I did it it was fantastic and I yelled in the middle of the night.

I’m actually under some ruins in the desert stuck on a water based puzzle (I know how to solve it but I can’t find the right angle for the life of me).

Incredible game.

3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hehe. Just keep an eye out, and there'll be a fair bit more yelling!

Funnily enough, the desert ruin is actually one of my least favourite areas. Still cool, but there's one room in particular
    where you control the water level
    that has a LOT of looking around.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Correction, 109 +2, but there is something wrong with last activated beam apparently ;)

I’m exhausted.

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    It says the game makes you feel like a genius, it makes me feel rather stupid he he, but it’s one of the most intriguing games I ever played so I keep at it.

The + after the puzzles mean the environmental puzzles right, got no one of those yet, think they are the hardest.

6. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Can you explain that a little further, please?

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #107 TheGreatEscaper, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    It'll become clearer the more time you spend with the game. If there's ever stuff in this thread that you're not familiar with, chances are it's an aspect of the game that's better found than explained!

Edit: This is a game *designed* around discovery. You will be finding new and exciting things, ten, or even twenty, thirty hours into the game. It can be tempting to ask questions to people who know the answers, but as someone who did complete the game with some spoilers and now regrets every aspect, mechanic, puzzle, puzzle+ etc. that they looked up, have a bit of faith that the game is *that* much more rewarding with time spent in the dark!

8. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    With a bit of scepticsim i went and bought it...

WOW.

What an experience ! Feels refreshing, unique and soooo much fun !

Gotta love how they take something as dumbed down and stupid as a lane maze and add a plethora of layers of complexity to it, love how it makes you interact with the environment.... Ive been playing for 3 hours straight and had to put it down but now all I want to do is pick it back up... cant wait to play more tonight.

Big surprise for me, im enjoying this A LOT.

If you like puzzle games you have to try this one !

9. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Not looking for hints, just stats clarification. If that clarification is a hint in itself, then, understood. #

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Don’t worry it’s just me talking to much, just take it slowly and everything will fall into place, I was rushing through the game and you shouldn’t do that, I started over and enjoying it much more now, I am looking everywhere now.

Just got my first emvironmental puzzle great, first +.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The one environmental puzzle I got was very satisfying.

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    When I got my first + I yelled at the screen in joy.

It was 3 am.
    Wife wasn’t pleased.

13. OkyOky

OkyOky Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Thank you. Yes, i generally do not look at walkthrough if i am not really stuck. I just checked this one as trailer to understqnd how the game looks like :)

14. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I'm so totally obsessed with this beautiful game. My current puzzle count is 101+1 and I'm already convinced this is one of the best games I've ever played. Note: I'm an old gamer from when the earth was young, so the astronomical number of games under my belt is both impressive and kind of ridiculous. While I've never been a fan boy of any particular software developer, I feel sudden emotions for Jonathan Blow.

The Witness should easily take all GOY awards for the puzzle category, and no doubt will pull in many others.
    I write this post mainly as a way of forcing a badly needed break from the game. There are patterns under my eyelids and glowing cables in my spaghetti.

15. fastspinecho

fastspinecho Active Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I used to think it was annoying, now I realize it was merely ahead of its time #sadfact

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    181 + 2
    I’m super obsessed.

Had a tour of the island (wink wink), both gorgeous and amazing.
    The puzzles are even getting better and better and a grand scheme is emerging.

Absolutely amazing, the dev is a genius.

17. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for taking a break to provide your comments! I've been so torn on if I need another game as I have so many blacklog including some likely pretty long games such as:

Layton
    Ace Attorney (3 not all 4 games)
    Ticket to Earth
    And many others...

I'm also having our first child sometime over the next month...

As an old school gamer from the days of Pong I am intrigued by this game and now believe it'll be worth getting!

18. polybodyne

polybodyne New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    372 +38, so I'm clearly beyond obsession at this point.

I've been gaming since frogger on a TRS-80 (games used to come on cassette tapes, young ones), and this really might be my favorite ever. Clearly owes a ton to Myst as well as other puzzle games, but the progression of puzzles and learning throughout the game only gets more impressive as I go. And the atmospheric and philosophical touches are the perfect compliment to this contemplative masterpiece. Bravo.

I'm so glad I waited until the iOS version. I use an MFi controller for navigation (sooooo nice), but I can't imagine completing the puzzles with anything other than touch.

19. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I played the heck out of this on PC, so doubt I'll be repurchasing. But wow -- envious of you who are experiencing this for the first time. Game is insanely good!

20. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Any reasons why the game rating has dropped from 5 to 3.5?