Universal The Witness (By Thekla)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    :eek: I feel really stupid now

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think we’re on par with the stupidity here. XD I personally couldn’t see that line and thought it was absurd there wasn’t a single menu in the game so I just kept on tapping the entire screen until a menu popped up...and then and only then noticed the line.

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
  4. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yes, you mentioned that (on each page). Thanks for your contributions!

Seriously though guys, thanks for the imps. My time has been scarce to spread among games lately but feel like I must jump in on this one.

5. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

Is it playable on an iPad Air?

6. Ag3ntP3ndergast

Ag3ntP3ndergast Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Is the game open exploration? (And you can freely explore?)?Or is it on rails? Thanks

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    You can freely explore the island, although obviously you need to solve puzzles/complete certain tasks to progress to more difficult areas in the world. Definitely not an on rails game - about as nonlinear of a puzzle game you can find.

8. Ag3ntP3ndergast

Ag3ntP3ndergast Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Wow, cool. Okay thanks for reply! :)

9. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Can anyone confirm the cloud saves?

10. bastian.walker

Dec 19, 2016
    Best to just ignore it.

11. D Wo

D Wo Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amazing game! Would definitely purchase it if I didn't already own the PS4 version.

... but if iPhone X support with HDR comes at some point it would quickly become an impulse buy. Would be a great game to show off the power of the X.

12. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Count me in in the stupidity stakes, I did exactly the same thing.....

13. OkyOky

OkyOky Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Cool

Graphics look nice. Is it always maze puzzles and does it get harder to find the paths beetween puzzles? Watched a walkthrough a little bit.

14. leokon96

leokon96 Active Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Performance on iPad Air/mini 2,3?

15. D Wo

D Wo Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Line/maze puzzles are at the core of the game, but they evolve into some really inventive/incredible ways. Without spoiling anything lets just say you start solving the puzzles using more than just the in game terminals introduced early on.

If your interested in the game I highly recommend not looking at walkthroughs. I've only used them as references when I was completely stuck.

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #56 y2kmp3, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    I played this game on the PC and was able to complete it in the "loosest" sense.

I admit I have some doubts about how well the game can be ported to a mobile platform with primarily a touch interface.

In particular, there is a time trial challenge (can't be more specific without spoilers) near the end of the game that is extraordinary difficult. It is made even more difficult because the puzzles in the time trial are all randomized so you cannot win by mere practice or repetition. During this trial, you need to travel from puzzle to puzzle extremely fast in order to save as much time as possible. This can be done reasonably well using a keyboard or controller but may be very difficult to do on a touch screen. The slowdowns from the touch-based navigation may make this time trial near impossible.

Additionally, there are special sets of puzzles (again, can't be more specific without spoilers) that demand the player to look for certain glyphs from very precise perspective and to follow these glyphs as they change in perspective in real time. Doing so on a touch screen in real time and with precision will be very challenging because of lack of simultaneous multi-axis control.

The iOS version of this game has been rumored since the original release of the game. This is amazing that the game finally arrives and speaks to the strength of iOS as a growing gaming platform.

17. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've done lots of these alignment puzzles already and it works perfectly. For precise movement you swipe with two fingers, and it basically makes the character's viewpoint "slide" forward, back, and side to side.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I own the PS 4 version - wonderful game. Tempted to repurchase just to be able to play anywhere.

I am glad to see more console type games coming to ios.

19. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    super fun but really hard, might need to use a walkthrough for puzzles...

btw full collection complete for ace attorney if anyone is playing spirit of justice xD

Attached Files:

20. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Solved 101 puzzles now, it’s an amazing game, can say that for sure or should I say Wow! Ha ha.