Universal The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Feb 21, 2017.

1. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    This game is just incredible. I love playing with the original keen eye player as he sees everything. Really good game. Is it worth to guys the complete pack? Are the other characters the same as the original with different skin?

2. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Each character has different skills, objectives, ways to get past certain areas of the mountain. I played 23 last night and he is a tank, blazing through most battles - but he can't read or go through small tunnels and passageways, so he can't hidd in the shadows or sneak past guards, can't take smaller tunnels. I am enjoying checking out the differences. Using 23 to to check out tough areas and potential traps, figuring he could survive them, then search the areas to find out if it was worth going that way or not.

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Pardon for my ignorance, how can I purchase the extra?

4. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thank you

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Really?!
    You kidding me?
    The game doesn't have screen rotation?
    Even games going for a buck have that basic design feature.

It can be a real pain for me as I have my iPad Pro 12.9" mounted in a stand and if it isn't the right orientation I cant play the game with my charging cord attached.

Please implement this rather basic feature.

6. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Character select screen, there's an arrow down where there name is shown. This will take you to the next set of miniatures. I think there's 3 new sets at the moment with more coming.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thank you so much!

8. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Are there any differences in content between the iPad and Steam PC versions?

9. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Blackwater, one of the initial girls.
    Took about 90mn

Used 2 resurrections I believe can't remember.
    Trying other characters as well now. Quest is pretty different (overall the same but lots of details change !)

10. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Totally agree. Makes me mad when developers dont realize or ignore this. That "feature" takes a few seconds to implement.

Same with "Turmoil" this week..

11. heephap

heephap Member

Jan 12, 2017
    #111 heephap, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Bit of a let down.

Unfortunately I kind of agree with this assessment, although perhaps not as unfavourably.

I love gamebooks and was introduced to them through the iPad. From tin man's originals to the incredible sorcery series and awesome heavy metal thunder games (and other cubus titles), we have been spoilt for choice on the appstore (honourable mention to choice of games which are also great).

Therefore I was super pumped for this one after reading the previews etc. After a couple of hours playing I'm disappointed. The presentation is well below the level demonstrated by Inkle and at times it feels amateurish. The graphics aren't great and the 3D enemy designs are bad (at one point I defeated one of the main enemies for a certain characters quest (gut gash?) and I thought he was just another of the goblin soldiers...). I thought the 3D exploration thing would be cool but it gets repetitive at the start and doesn't look that good. I would prefer an initial wide open map like sorcery.

Combat is decent, but again I think Sorcery does it better. Sorcery provides the player with the option of using magic and it's sword based combat is simpler which better suits the gamebook format... this is personal preference though.

It's not all bad, the book art is great (I love how you can tap to make it black and white), the writing is good and the music and sound effects are nice. The fact that you can choose your character is really cool but there doesn't seem to be as much variety in the quest for each character as they let on. But in the end this is a let down for me and not really worth £4.99 in my opinion. It just doesn't give me the same sense of wonder as Cubus or Inkle gamebooks.

12. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    whether to buy it or not is pretty easy :
    Do You want more and better "alive" FF books ?
    If yes, then buy it and support their initiative.
    Is it perfect ?
    No
    Is it good ?
    Yep !

Looking forward to the next iteration here
    Edit : it's not like we have plethora of these apps anyway..

13. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Worth every penny even if only for the nostalgia alone.

14. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    i like the combat in this game, the writing also great for me to understand, very enjoyable for this genre type gamebook...bought all complete pack!

15. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Was kind of worried about going so far in on this with the IAP purchase on top of the game purchase, once I fully realized that more than half of the cost was just for a bunch more characters, but I'm happy to say that I'm not worried anymore. There are a number of tweaks to the journey for each character that personalize it enough that each run feels different. Plus some areas are inaccessible to some characters or without certain abilities.

Hopefully future IAP's add more areas to FTM or maybe even different settings entirely around the mountain or that are entirely stand alone subsections within it, or just add more flourishes and unique little per-character touches to the mountain's existing areas, or both. I'm not sure I need more than 15 characters to play with right now. That number should keep me going for awhile. It's time for more content with which to use these characters.

For those banging the Inkle-ripped-off drum, I'm going to have to disagree. Sorcery leans more towards point-and-click and traditional adventure games. The combat is much simpler and the text needs to be read over carefully for clues on how to handle many situations. Warlock feels much closer to CRPG's and hack-n-slash games. The text is mostly used to set the scene and connect the player with simple one-off challenges, treasures, and enemies. I never felt like I needed to be paying as much attention as I needed to during Sorcery. That's not a bad thing.

16. heephap

heephap Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Well then it becomes less a gamebook and more a very average dungeon crawler/RPG with basic combat, no equipable loot, levelling, crafting etc and poor graphics (but excellent writing, storytelling and art).

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

[​IMG]

Has been nominated for the TouchArcade Forums'
    Game of the Week

VOTE HERE!

18. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ipad you can take it with you very easy.
    PC might get heavy ;)

19. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Ahem. I have a problems guessing next moves or attac patterns of enemies. But the story is good.

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Same here lol