Universal The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Feb 21, 2017.

1. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Re: IAP it seems the different characters based on their characteristics & different skill sets can see, smell, notice, get away with different things along the way. Example; my first run I tried to steal a box & was caught & had to fight my way out. The next run I took a different character & I was able to steal the box & exit the room without the enemy noticing me. This was because of the skill set of that character. It may help with replayability. Take a different character & the journey is slightly different. Each character keeps their own high score as well which is pretty cool.

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Nope I confirmed it with the developer it's going to be separate IAP

3. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Hopefully if you buy the bundle with all the current characters you may get any others that come out later. If not, I will enjoy trying out all these ones.

I watched a bit of gameplay on youtube to help me make the choice of whether to get all or some of the extra characters. I noticed how your interactions and the descriptions of areas, etc. differ slightly depending on who you are playing and their skills. It also affects where you want to go and what you are seeking in each playthrough.

Of course, the original book had only one ultimate path (not counting little side rooms), so I am hoping this version of the story/gamebook allows you to vary that depending on your chosen character and still allows you to finish the story. I do appreciate a little more open exploration in this kind of format, though now I really want to reread/play through the original story again.

Now we need Deathtrap Dungeon! That was my all-time favourite in this series. Interesting to note too that this version of the original book is more fleshed out snd contains more references to the rest of that world.

4. JP Falcon

JP Falcon Active Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Once again my iPad 4 is showing its age....a no buy for me but not by choice.....

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Oh my bad.....I forgot to mention that the $8 was AUD $.

we are currently getting mightily ripped off with App Store prices downunder. #

6. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Oh, the hypocrisy!

7. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #87 verlaine, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    There doesn't seem to be any way to finish many routes without 'cheating' in Normal mode. Whenever I find myself losing too much health in combat, I simply close the app and then relaunch it (which takes me to the scene right before combat is initiated).

Is there a bug in Arran's route? I got the 'You didn't kill enough critters' ending--even after receiving the 'You feel ready to take on the Trial of Champions' message (around 75+ kills).

8. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I feel your pain!

9. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I read a ton of "choose your own adventure" type books when I was a kid. Is this like that, except in board game form? Can someone describe the gameplay and how it works? I would just like some user impressions of the game!

10. kaywib

kaywib Member

Feb 2, 2015
    When you buy the IAP. I know you get new quest. But are all the quests inside the same scenary(the mountain).

11. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Yes, the whole adventure takes place within Firetop Mountain.

12. kaywib

kaywib Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Ok. Thanx. Just bought tha complete package.

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Is there any randomness to the dungeon or is it the exact same layout each time?

14. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #94 Laenor, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Just beat the game with one of the 4 initial characters.
    Pretty fun actually !

Lots of memories and a few surprises along the way.

Edit : there is some randomness, but a good part of the game is static.

15. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I still own a copy of the book somewhere and, for me, this version, with a choice of heroes with different skills and different quests, and it's visual representation and tabletop combat is the better than I imagined and the best version I've played.

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Nice how long did it take and how many resurrections did you use? Which character?

17. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    I beat the game as well with Lin Wen-Wu I was ranked #5 when I last checked no deaths but I took my time

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man wish I could stick to this enough to beat it like you guys but I get sidetracked with other games lol.

19. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    This is a minor niggle, but calling an IAP 'The Complete Pack' is a bit misleading when it doesn't include future IAP content. Maybe instead of calling it 'The Complete Pack', it should be called something like 'Mega Bundle Set 1' or something.

20. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    This is a huge bummer to me. I bought "Complete" now because I just wanted to be done with it and focus on playing while the updates rolled in. Not too unreasonable an expectation for a $12 iOS game after IAP.