Universal The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Feb 21, 2017.

1. guttaperk

guttaperk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Gorgeous.

Where's portrait mode, though?

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Someone rated 1 star with no comments

3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    People are stupid.

4. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I picked it up lets have a go!

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Really liking the look and feel of this. Combat is fun. Curious how long a play through might take? Screen doesn't rotate, but I don't care. Love Tin Man

6. sabre31

sabre31 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Bought it but please add portrait mode asap. Thanks.

7. guzhenjie1

guzhenjie1 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Amazing game! Bought the game and the complete pack. Hope screen can auto-rotate in next update.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    So what is the incentive of playing this over and over. I am only to Grishnak on two differ play throughs with different characters. It's the same experience. It isn't that far off from the books.

Not knocking it, it's an amazing version of a classic. But the fighting patterns and every other detail are exactly the same.

9. in5omniak

in5omniak Member

May 11, 2011
    Wow. I probably spent too much time on this today

Great game... says I'm top of the leaderboards, but I can't upload the photo.

10. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Inkle's gamebook apps were so much better than Tin Man's previous efforts and they're desperately playing catchup. Frankly the result just feels like a cheap knockoff.

11. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    #31 Lickzy, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    How do you even rate this game? I've never been able to click the Rate This App button through the forums

Apparently I have given it 3 stars... WTF?

I'd like to give it 5

12. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I've yet to buy this, but is it possible to unlock additional content through regular repeated playthroughs, or is everything else IAP only?

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Impressions

I feel this playing more like a RPG, with a DM "reading out", "describing the situation" to me while I make my moves, than any gamebook I played.

Tactical combat is really tactical and it is fun. It is a we-go type combat which you plot your action and both side show the action at the same time and resolve at the same time. So, you need to anticipate the enemy(s) next move(s). Employ your special skils properly to gain edge. I prefer this over combat mode used in the Socerey! series.

The graphics is highly detailed but it is kinda stock-like and you really have to read the texts to get the immersion.

One nice little feature is you can select the font type (two) and change the font size to your liking! Great for old-age player with a small screen!

14. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Why are the ratings poor for this? I always imagined when it came out that it would score highly and be an instabuy.

15. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I can't thank the Devs enough for making the game in landscape mode.

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    WTH? This game was co-written by Steve Jackson. Certainly different than Sorcery in overall feel but the writing is up there with Inkle's Sorcery games.

17. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Totally 5 stars material

Bought the complete pack but haven't got to play with other char, is the add on char got extra flavor text?or even different story?

Hopefully they will add:

- Screen rotation on landscape mode
    - portrait orientation
    - more char/ add on for the complete pack buyer #
    -in game achievement

Anyone knows when tinman will release this with their usual gamebook engine?

18. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    #38 TheSop, Feb 22, 2017
    Game looks great, just wondering if it supports Game Centre and have save game syncing across devices?

Also what is the expected game length in hours?

19. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #39 FivepastTA, Feb 22, 2017
    I don't agree, but in any case I wasn't only talking about the writing. The scrolling paper mechanic, for example, is nothing but a painfully obvious attempt to emulate the Sorcery! games.

P.S. WTH?

20. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Yes I think the same, the added paper clips for the text is the same as Sorcery, but I think is nice to improve in that direction like this game does, with the added dungeon and characters graphics and ambient sounds. To have different characters with different things to see or experience sounds very nice too.

To copy a thing from other games is not bad and this one have a lot of personality and writing to be proud of.
    For me was instabuy the second I discovered it last night, but I enjoy interactive fantasy.