iPad The War of Eustrath - a tactical SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you mean during a battle, just tap on the upper right corner of the screen -- you will see the stats of the active GEAR.

2. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    In between battles, you can check them by tapping the button labeled 'Gears' or in the 'Alter Gears' menu. Mid-game, you can find them by tapping just below the box in the top right corner.

EDIT: Beat by squarezero

3. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    That shouldn't bother too many people on here - the grammar on this thread alone has been atrocious. And, no offense, but does anyone really play these games for their stories?

Books, people! Take a break and read one! Available from iTunes - and universal!

4. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm leaning towards picking this up even though it is sure to be a crash party on my 2G iPod, but I would love to hear from the devs if they are going to attempt to reduce the memory footprint...

5. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #105 Eduku, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    ...wat. Almost every RPG gamer will play it with story in mind, it's a key part of the game itself.

And the whole 'read a book' analogy doesn't work. A book is a book, and a video game is a video game.

On the topic of the grammar, there have been the odd spelling mistake and a few grammar errors (or simply sentences which could be been phrased better), but it's better than most of the Asian-based games I see on the Appstore, where the Engrish can get ridiculous.

I would hope that they would do something about it, it would be a shame if people were put off buying the game by something completely technical, and not gameplay-related.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm sure the dev will get that handled. It started as an iPad game so this kind of issue isn't a shock. You're going from a single generation device to a device with 3-4 generations which is not an easy task (especially if you don't have older units to test on).

I can't stress the sheer quality of this title enough. The battle system, story, music, and overall presentation are all top notch. The English needs just a slight tweaking here and there but it's perfectly understandable as is.

I just can't imagine a developer putting this much work into a title and then leaving it to run poorly on older devices.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #107 drelbs, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    Every GB/GBC/GBA/DS Pokemon game. :p (Oh God, I wish you could turn them off on the Gamecube iterations...)

I'm pretty sure some of the SNES/Playstation SD Gundam games would let you turn off/skip the animations.

Eustrath reminds me a lot of Super Robot Wars, which is a good thing. Been really enjoying it, even with the engrish.

At $3 this is a must-have for any strategy game fan, unless you hate mecha/anime.

PS> Anyone else think the iPhone version got the better icon? :)

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Here here, the iPhone version icon is better! :D

BTW, this one is on top 10 paid app here in Hong Kong.

One more time: Developers, please show up!

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks for piling on drelbs ;) (you will notice that I ate my words earlier).

One cool thing about replayability: I decided to take the mountain shortcut this time (instead of the longer route like I did on the iPad version) and the subsequent two stages changed pretty drastically. I'm sure that I'll "meet up" again with the other story fork, but it's cool to suddenly find myself in unfamiliar territory.

I kind of like the iPad icon a bit better, if only because for me the game is more about the characters than about their machines. Not I dislike the iPhone one, though.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The developer has already shown up but they may have other issues to deal with (like limited English, different time zones, or a small team focusing on updates)

Whatever the reason, they have shown up which is the most important part.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They also have their own forum to deal with.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Well that would do it! I'm sure it's much easier to focus on a dedicated forum than it is to monitor a thread like this.

Back on topic: I've literally played this all morning and I've yet to have my love for the game wane in the slightest. Very few games have even come close to that feat so WoE has earned a place on my device forever... Or until I need to make room for the sequel ;)

13. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    This is the first iphone game that has sucked me in for 2 hours straight, while actually finding it enjoyable and not tedious. A truly amazing game, I could see this going for 10-15 depending on how long it actually is.

14. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The game does feel very similar to Fire Emblem, other than the futuristic theme and more crowded interface (which is a weakness). It does not lag on 3G (OMG) however there is a long pause sometimes to open any window like combat, stats, etc. The first crash I experienced is around 15min into the game in the first level, it actually didn't only crash, but made my iPhone shut off and restart...?

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sorry 'bout that, I need to finish reading posts before I reply! :eek:

16. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Well, it's crashed and frozen about three or four times on my iPod Touch 2G, but I'm all the way up to Stage 13 or 14, and the game itself is really enjoyable. Surprisingly, this game's story is pretty good as well, so I have to say that at $2.99 this game is definitely worth the price.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, I kind of deserved it. I usually like to know what I'm talking about before I post anything. Obviously, I didn't in this case.

18. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Uh, yeah, I definitely pay attention to the storyline in games. But then, I develop and design games and do game text localization as well.

19. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I just dinished the first mission but I'm liking the story and the character portrait and how they change. Though some of the text isn't hi-res the scenery looks amazing on the iPhone 4. The units don't look like mechas but reading this thread it seems like it's not the developers fault. Enjoying the game so far. Fast app switching is making me play thus way more than BfW or Highborn so that's awesome. At 2.99 I feel I'm getting way more than my money's worth

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Wow, awesome game!

I only played through the first mission, and got one crash, but it's still most definitely worth it. I'm going to be spending a lot of quality time with this one. Instantly my 2nd favorite TBS on the device (after Wesnoth).