iPad The War of Eustrath - a tactical SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    The iPad version is awesome, so I'll probably pick this up too.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Yeah I kind of thought that was the case. Thanks for confirming. But according to Commander Data's post that won't help in this case, so I wait for an update from the dev instead!

3. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA

Anyhow, 4.0.1 seems more zippy for me on my iphone 3g than 4.

4. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, does it work well on iPod 2g with only 3.1.2? If I generally like turn-based games and RPGs should I get it? Or rather wait for the Shining Force (I am not put off by retro graphics)?

5. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Glad that my in depth check on the game's memory usage is helping some of you. Just want to help out another fellow developer who obviously put a lot of effort into their game :)

Honestly, it *will* start and run, but for anyone with a device older than an 3rd Gen Touch or iPhone 3GS you will be subject to random exits due to lack of available RAM. You could temper that a bit by doing a full reboot before playing, and maybe pressing the "home" button to exit out and reopen to resume the game once or twice per mission. The reason is the memory use starts low (about 10-12MB at the title screen/resume point) and climbs as you play.

Thing is, War of Eustrath was initially designed to run on an iPad, with 256MB of RAM. They did a pretty good job scaling everything down for the iPhone and iPod, but it's teetering on the edge and using too much memory for reliable gameplay on older devices... and the longer you play it, the more likely it will run out of RAM and close on those older devices.

Anyone who missed the analysis I made about memory use- the 3rd Gen Touch and iPhone 3GS have 256MB of RAM like the iPad, and an iPhone 4 has 512MB so they are pretty much immune to the issue as I described. Older devices have 128MB of RAM, of which less than 40MB is usually available on a fresh reboot.

As I said in my other posts, I definitely recommend the game highly if you have a recent generation iDevice. The first few missions and story have really drawn me in to WoE :D

6. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    First let me say, get Shining Force regardless. I played it back in the day, and it was a fantastic game. As far as WoE goes, I have an ipod touch 2g with ios 4(what a mistake there :( ) and couldnt get through the first mission without a crash. ios4 takes significantly more memory though, and has a higher crash rate on older devices, so it might very well be fine for you. I cannot wait till September so I can pick up the next generation ipod touch

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I wouldn't be surprise if crashes are much less of an issue on 3.1.2. As to the larger question, it depends if you care to support the development of quality turn-based RPGs that are exclusive to the iDevices. Shinning Force is undoubtedly a classic, but it's a well-worn port of a very old game (and and emulator-based port at that). WoE is a brand new game from a very ambitious indie development team. If I had to choose between the two, I know who would get my money (luckily, I don't have to choose).

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Because you're getting both? ;)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Of course! :)

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Another point to consider is that The War of Eustrath is on SALE for 2.99 for the launch... the price will be going up soon. I'd get it now and pick up the other later

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, I don't like it when games crash on me. Does Eustrath auto-save after every turn? That would make it bearable, maybe...

But it is a classic that would be new to me and hopefully won't crash. Besides, IMHO encouraging porting of classics is equally worthwhile ;). After all, I missed all famous Japanese games back in the day and would like a chance to experience them...

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm waiting for the same info as I've got an iPod Touch 2G and run 3.1.3. I want to get this, and it's on sale, but I want to know if I can play without my progress constantly being erased...or if the devs will be updating to increase the stability...

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    On normal circumstances (as in quitting to springboard on OS 3.0), the game saves at the exact spot. The one time it crashes on me on the iPad it did so, too.

Obviously, the best solution is an update that lowers the memory footprint. But as long as the crashes are not constant, the game should be playable even with a few "interruptions."

@Isilel: agreed on the value of the classics -- that's why I'm picking up SF as soon as it comes out in the US. But, as far as I'm concerned, WoE is the kind of game that I never thought would ever be released on the iDevice, at least not as an original, and certainly not from an indie. I want to see more folks take the platform this seriously.

14. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    omfg. Insta buy!!!!!

Squarezero was a big reason a bought this. Been keeping an eye on iPad thread. Any idea if support for retina display is planned or already implemented? What about fast app switching. Buying anyways but it would be nice

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Fast app switching, yes. Retina -- I'm on a 3Gs, so I can't tell.

16. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

There is partial Retina Display support in WoE: Most of the in-game text story and statistic data is rendered in full high-res fonts, but the graphic stuff is pixel-doubled. This is the same trick I did with Rogue Touch version 1.6 for Retina support... the text is wonderfully crisp and easy to read on my iPhone 4 ;)

17. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Wasn't this out for iPad long time ago?
    Nonetheless it looks amazing... finally something that has some resemblance of Fire Emblem!
    (Search for SRPG for iDevice and there are like no results lol... finally one)

18. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Anyone else notice long pauses on older devices when you select an enemy to engage combat (the blue crosshair)? This seems to happen sometimes, but not all the time.

Also notice a long pause when you choose abilities.

19. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Haven't heard of Fire Emblem, but I looked up images of it - it looks like LOTR tactics or D+D tactics for PSP - right? So is the game played on small maps like those, or is it a large/scrolling map?

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Maps range in size -- some are fairly small, while some battle involve many units over a variety of terrain. But yes, you're in the right ballpark with those.

The key characteristics of these type of games is that 1) they're tactical/squad based rather than strategic in the larger sense of the word; and 2) they are story driven, with individual characters that level up and gain abilities just like in a standard RPG. Some SRPGs (like Fire Emblem) have perma-death for the characters -- this one doesn't (though you can lose a battle if you lose the wrong unit).