iPad The War of Eustrath - a tactical SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. kitehimuro

kitehimuro Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Game Impressions

Just a word of advice, while the underlying game MIGHT be sufficiently awesome, I have experienced 10+ random shutdowns during the FIRST mission one of which consisted of the iPhone just flat out rebooting. I'm on 3G btw.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    oh my goodness, freaking finally...I hate the present tbs on the idevice besides but wesnoth but I've been waiting for a rts like this and was so disappointed when only the ipad version came out!

BUT omg!!!!!!!! yes!

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No problems so far on the 3Gs, but this game may be a bit much for the 3G/1st Gen iPod Touch.

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Looks interesting. Is combat more in the style of Final Fantasy or Battle for Wesnoth?

5. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Did you use freememory or restart your game before playing?

How does it perform when its not crashing?

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    More like Fire Emblem. If you're not familiar with that one, then like a mix of BfW and FF. Battles take place on a tactical map and units can be moved individually (unlike FF). Also, like BoW, terrain affects the outcome. Once you attack an enemy, the view changes to a screen that is similar to a 1 on 1 FF battle screen: this allows for far more complexity than you get from a single round of BoW combat.

Keep in mind too that this is much more of a tactical game -- you don't "manufacture" units, or take over towns for strategic advantage. Every one of your units is an individual character.

7. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    neither. I looked up a video of the ipad version and it's more along the lines of shining force or fire emblem. It looks pretty good, I might just get it

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    this is the fire emblem game i've been waiting for. It's so darn good and I'm on level two. Oh my goodness...the storyline also is just omg!

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    I posted the same thing a bunch of posts ago and was beginning to think I was the only one since no one else is seeming to have a problem.

I have a 2g iPod Touch and yes did reboot, yes began from quick saves, yes began from manual saves, all with random crashes to the springboard. I have deleted and reinstalled, rebooting again, deleted and re-downloaded again and rebooted again. Nothing as drastic as what you have though it seems.

I did email the dev to express my concern about this. Re-downloading from iTunes again did decrease the frequency however.

10. Ember

Ember Member

Jun 20, 2010
    First of all, please let me thank everyone for playing our game.

To my knowledge, reboot happens when playing the game on previous generation devices running iOS 4.0.
    If you're running iOS 4.0, please upgrade to iOS 4.0.1. The game is much more stable on iOS 3.1.3 and iOS 4.0.1, but we experienced a lot of crashes and reboots on iOS 4.0.

If you still experience reboot on iOS 4.0.1, please let me know by posting here or on our forum, or by sending email to [email protected].

Ember
    iQubi Inc.

11. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Everyone with "crashing out" or random shutdowns to the springboard: I've done a little analysis of the game using Apple's Instruments, and I'm sorry to say you will likely continue to see that on the following devices:

iPhone EDGE/2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPod Touch 1st Gen
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen

All of these iDevices have only 128MB of RAM, of which the operating system can consume 80-100MB of in normal use. iOS 4 uses slightly more RAM, and iPhones use a bit more as well due to the phone and SMS processes.

War of Eustrath starts with low memory usage that climbs fairly quickly over the course of a battle. After completing the first mission and starting the second one it is using 41.5MB in my test here, well within the OS auto-shutdown due to lack of RAM on older devices.

Anyone with a 3rd Gen Touch, 3GS, or iPhone 4 should have no problem running War of Eustrath... and if you have one of those but are on the fence you should click buy, now! If you have an older device listed in red above, you might want to wait and see if the developer can update the game to consume less RAM.

12. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I'm feeling a double dip..

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks CD: as usual, you've gone way beyond the call of duty.

14. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi thanks for the response!

I just checked for an update to the OS and on the iPod Touch it says the 4.0 is the latest version. I will check again when 4.0.1 is available for my device.

Thanks again!

15. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Different outcome you say? You've just successfully aroused all my curiosity. Coupled with improved translations. A double dip it is. Today is a definitely a bad day for the wallet with this and Shining Force and some others...

16. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks Commander Data for your analysis. Above and beyond as usual!

Unfortunately for me I leaped before I looked so I will be anxiously waiting for an update.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    4.0.1 was the new formula for the signal bars and the exchange fix for Mail. It was in response to the iphone 4 death grip so ipod touches probably won't see an update til 4.1 (which is in beta 2 right now)

18. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Wish ya posted this before I dled it lol. I kinda expected this anyhow. Most apps over 100mb in size usually = some difficulties performing well on iphone 3g.

19. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Retina...

Are these graphics "retina-ized"?

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just to clarify: I'm not saying that the different versions have different stories. [The rest of this is in spoiler white] On the iPad I failed to save the village; on this version I was able to stop the attackers. Both outcomes were handled well in the story.

It would be great if the devs implemented an online save system like Battle for Westnoth -- that way I could play the iPhone version on the go and the iPad version at home.