iPad The War of Eustrath - a tactical SRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    This is actually great so far. Only problem has been random crashes back to springboard even after a reset of my device.

But gameplay, story, controls are all spot on. Not sure whether to reinstall before I go much further so as not to lose too much progress. I also downloaded from my iPod which might explain. Maybe I should try again at the computer.

2. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I'm sure this won't even compare to games like Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Valkyria Chronicles etc. but for what it is, one of the only true SRPGs on the iDevice, makes it a great game.

3. JoeBlonde

JoeBlonde Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    This is one of the best games for the iPad. If they polish a bit the in-battle graphics (you barely can tell they are mechs), it would be a must have.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's fair enough. Personally, I found Disgaea to far too ironic for my tastes -- I could admire the game, but I felt absolutely no connection with the characters, and, as you know, my only experience with FE is the DS version which was kind of okay. For me, WoE has the right amount of complexity, combined with memorable characters and a compelling story set in an interesting SF/fantasy world. For me, that makes it a winner on any platform.

NEG: even though this is a 2D game, it still uses a lot of RAM. I would make sure to clear the decks, as it were, before playing it, especially on a 2nd Gen touch.

5. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Off-topic, but I still think you should get around to playing the GBA Fire Emblems if you can. If you liked WoE, I think you'll find those to be absolute gems ;).

6. Looks intriguing. How's the difficulty level?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Too bad the DSi doesn't play GBA games... May have to invest in some retro gear ;).

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It ranges. Your team is comprised of "heroes," so the rank and file troops are easily disposed. As you make your way through the game you begin to encounter "named" enemies that present more of a challenge; a bit further you start getting to some of the boss fights which can be brutal. One particular stage (18) will seem pretty much impossible -- it isn't, but you may find youself repeating it several times. Combat in general is surprisingly deep, and it pays off to experiment.

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Ooo it's out. Much as I'm trying to avoid double dipping, I may be doing just that to support the dev. Great game, and long too.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    One thing to note is that the translation is much improved in this version, particularly the intro. Also, my first battle had a different outcome, which the game handled in stride.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
  12. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA

Everyone in the entire thread is comparing this to SRW lol =P

Any gameplay videos? How's the story? I remember spends hrs playing SRWOG on my iphone through gba emulator a year or 2 back, good times.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Are they? :confused: I think they are talking about Fire Emblem! LOL.

I am still playing the OG1 on PS2...

I am not too worried about that cause the rave reviews of the iPad version and the quality seems worth more than USD2.99 alone. Back to the game then...

14. dubb40

dubb40 Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Game Impressions

This game is awesome!!! I've been waiting for a while for it, and at the price you can't go wrong!

15. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    How does this version look on the ipad?

16. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Hope the writing isn't to horrid. The app store is already slowly getting flooded with more and more badly translated korean cellphone game ports.

Also how are 'special moves' visually? I kinda dont' expect SRW ridiculousness, but it should be interesting enough right?

The youtube videos seems pretty tame, but those are just early battles. I'd assume by later you should have some kickass world destroying weapons/moves.

17. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Been casually monitoring the iPad thread, waiting to see an iPhone version of War of Eustrath appear... Looks like it was worth the wait! I have only just begun, but the level of polish on WoE places it above every other strategic-RPG game currently available in the store. I'm very impressed with it so far.

Looking forward to some deeper play-time with WoE later tonight! :D

18. ASB

ASB Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I don't really play games like this, but I'm really tempted to get it because of how great people are saying it is.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #39 squarezero, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Haven't tried it yet. Frankly, even though I think the job they have done on the iPhone interface is pretty much miraculous, it doesn't hold a candle to the expansiveness of the iPad version (and that's definitely not a knock on the developers by any means). Just for that, I think the iPad version is worth the additional cost.

If you don't have an iPad, though, the game is perfectly playable on the small screen.

@chickdigger802: The writing is far from horrid. And as far as I can tell, it's not a port.

20. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    looks like Super Robot Wars ;) that i loved playing for over 10 years.. inst BOUGHT