Universal The Walking Dead (+ 400 Days DLC) by Telltale Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. akovendetta

akovendetta Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I'll do the same. Report back if you get a response before I do.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just finished it...short but sweet.

I'm buying the entire pack. This is an absolute gem.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    My point wasn't to defend Telltale for doing a 180 on compatability, my point was that the itouch 4 is outdated for modern iOS gaming. If apple doesn't update the line, I would expect to see most ports and graphically intense games to drop support for the iPod line.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Doubt it. And even if it did, the heating issues aren't worth a bother.

5. chrisjamess

chrisjamess Active Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Has anyone here played it on both Computer and iOS? I have credit on both my Steam account and iTunes that would cover the cost for the game. Which is the better experience? I'm currently using a iPhone 4 and I would love to have it on the go but if it's better on my laptop I'd rather play it there. I think if it's borderline I'd rather have it portable.

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iPhone 4, as I've gathered, can barely run the game, even then with stuttering and lag. Heck, even my ipad 3 skips around during the pre-rendered cutscenes. I would pick it up on steam. Just my $.02

7. chrisjamess

chrisjamess Active Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Kind of leaning toward that as well man. Thanks!

8. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I own it on Steam and on my iPhone 4. Played it through on both. I prefer the Steam platform over iOS, for two reasons. 1. Bigger screen. 2. Better performance.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Finished! (2.5 hours)

Good: Excellent story telling adventure, the different paths you make, the desitions affect the game and this gives it so much replayability. The story behind it its strong and entertaining, and has a lot of emotion. Controls are almost perfect. I got hooked from the minute I started playing and couldnt stop until completion (just a break to go to the gym ;)), game is really entertaining from beginning to the end.

Bad: Sometimes its tricky to move the camera around. Game should remember which dots you tap and dont show them again if they are irrelevant. Lack of GameCenter. Some lag

Conclusion: One of these rare gems of the appstore, one of the best recent point and click (drag in this case) I played lately, get this now, fully recommended... will give it a second playthrough to do things differently.

Final Score: 4.5 out of 5 (awesome)

10. akovendetta

akovendetta Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #150 akovendetta, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Uhhh, iPhone4 and iPod 4 are both A4 (which is an ARM Cortex-A8 with PowerVR GPU, both underclocked to 800MHz (from max 1GHz) .

The difference that is causing so much trouble is the amount of RAM between devices: iPod's 256mb to iPhone's 512mb.

But that's a fairly simple solution: higher compression of textures for ipod should do the trick.

Functionally, ipod4 is same as iPad (A4/256mb except clocked at 1GHz, instead of 800MHz) so if they can make it work for iPod4, them iPad1 users will benefit too... More purchases for telltale....

Hear that Telltale!?!? More texture compression for A4/256 devices = more $$$!

Edit:fixed grammar, and to say hardly outdated for gaming. I can play much more beatiful games than this on my pod4, the developers for those titles just likely had the resources available to account for lower memory requirements, which can be solved as I mentioned above.

11. mejjos

mejjos Cancelled

Jul 26, 2012
    I was using an iPad 1 and it is kinda slow, but it's playable, hasn't crashed yet. But moving the camera with swipes doesn't work that well.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh. Thought telltale said it wasn't compatible in the description...

13. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Are people having problems playing this on an iPod Touch 4th gen? That's the only iDevice I own, and I can play this game just fine (it gets a bit laggy at points, and it doesn't look as pretty as it would on an iPad, but it's still good).

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #154 JBRUU, Jul 26, 2012
    Well, to say that this isn't a beautiful game is just a fallacy. It's one of he most beautiful games on the AppStore IMO. Retina would be perfect, just fix the skips during the PRERENDERED videos on my iPad 3. Perfect framerate otherwise.

As for the iPod, well, there's only so much optimization one can do before it's just not worth it. Fact is, cutting edge (graphically) games are not playable on that thing. This may not be exactly "cutting edge", but the art style is lovely and I really enjoy everything about it. Yes more optimization could probably squeak in the itouch 4, but don't expect devs to do so. Remember, the chip is 2 generations old and shipped with half the ram it's contemporary iPhone 4 did.

Edit: even if telltale bothers to and manages to make to run on the 4g touch, that doesn't mean the iPad 1 will run it. The thing is more pixels than the iPod, and, if you will remember, IB1 actually looked better on iPods and iPhones then it did on the iPad 1. iPhone 4>iTouch 4>iPad 1.

15. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    This is my first time playing this game, its not as much a game as it is experience, I'm marveled at the quality of gaming on ios sometimes.
    Sorry to those who couldn't get this running on your devices. The marketing in the app store seems to be getting more intense then ever, annoying

16. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Uh... you've either got a stupidly restrictive definition of "playable" or of "cutting edge". Yes, the iTouch is painfully outdated by this point, and I don't expect developers to work outright miracles with it, but Infinity Blade, Galaxy on Fire II, Lost Winds 2, Gene Effect, Sky Gamblers and countless others all work and still look great. I can only think of two games I've wanted to play recently that outright won't function - Axon Runners and Kids vs. Goblins - and neither are exactly graphically astonishing. Do games look as good as a 4S? Of course not: I'm not blind. Do the drops in framerate and whatnot make them less playable? Yes, sometimes. Do I really care that much? Not as long as I can enjoy the art design and/or the game in question anyway.

I'd happily buy a new device if I could, but I'm not paying contract fees over here for an iPhone if I can help it (I have a phone already, and I have no interest in using an Apple device instead). But if I wanted to hear how I should just give up trying because I can't afford the latest and greatest bleeding edge hardware I'd go to a PC or an Android forum. :p

EDIT: Oh, and the game does run on my iTouch 4G. Yes, it's obviously been majorly hacked down as it is, and yes, it sticks and lags, but unplayable... not even close. I hope Telltale don't lock lower-end devices out entirely for future episodes - I bought the season pass for PC in the Steam sale, so I'm okay if they do, but it'd be nice to have this portable.

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    As a few have said before, definitely GOTY material here. Currently my favorite game of the year so far, tied with Swordigo and NOVA 3. I'm ready to drop 20 bucks on the remaining episodes!

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #158 bigrand1, Jul 26, 2012
    Regardless, right you are, it IS out-dated for gaming already! It shows every time we have to go through this, like this game. Apple had better update the thing! Apple needs to realize that! But since Steve's gone, not sure what to expect, if anything. The jump from iphone 4 to the 4S wasn't really mind-blowing to me. But the point is the dev DID say the ipod 4th gen. was good to go for this game, so to me, it's their fault for this issue some of us have here.

19. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Okay after more testing on my various iDevices.. It won't even load on my iPod 4th gen 32gb running iOS 5.1, but I can say that it does run fairly well on my iPod 4th gen 8gb running iOS 6.0 beta #3.
    Sure it does get a little laggy in parts, but I was able to play through the whole episode.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That comes as a surprise. iOS 5 was a disaster for my 4th gen touch, guess iOS 6 is far more optimized.