The Virtual Reality (VR) thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by kukulcan, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Have an Oculus Rift cv1 on my desk. Awesome piece of tech. Favorite game is probably The Climb at the moment.

2. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Interestingly enough all Rift exclusive games are now playable on the Vive due to a hack over the weekend and a botched patch by the Rift team.

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Yeah, but I'd be wary of buying anything on Oculus home. Next patch may lock you away from your content. Heck, I've got a rift and I don't want to lock myself into it. For that matter the next patch could lock me into just their content. Don't like that either. That's one of my knocks against Apple, actually... (Funny this comes up on an apple forum). IMO Oculus / Facebook wants to be the new Apple. If this whole DRM situation had come about earlier I probably would have gone with Vive. Otoh, the Rift is lighter and more comfortable, the optics seem a touch better, and I don't have space for room scale. I do envy the Vive controllers tho, but Touch seems a bit better. IF it ever actually ships...

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  5. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    As far as I understand that means circumventing copy protection and from a legal standpoint being considered piracy, right?

6. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    #26 Gamer1st, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    All it does is allow you to play games you bought on the Rift store on other hardware. It doesn't allow free access to games you haven't bought.
    As an example, I got Luckies with a code from the Devs but couldn't play it due to a hardware check the store does when you go to start a game. I can play it on the Vive now.

7. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    I know and wasn't talking moral considerations, just https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1201

8. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Looks like the Rift folks folded on the DRM as far as headset checking goes so the store is now open if you're looking to buy titles to play on the Vive or other sets...

http://www.roadtovr.com/revive-update-play-oculus-home-games-htc-vive/?utm_source=Road+to+VR+Daily+News+Roundup&utm_campaign=c565e04556-RtoVR_RSS_Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e2e394ad33-c565e04556-168146061

9. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    The Steam stores summer sale is running now, (in case you've been living under a rock and didn't know) and they also have a huge grouping of VR titles on sale for anywhere from as little as 15% to as much as 80% off. Some really great titles in there for very cheap for Rift and Vive.

10. ErikSPdx

ErikSPdx Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 21, 2011
    Why is it that this thread seems to be focusing on PC-based VR? Isn't this whole site about the iPhone, etc? I recently got a Cardboard-style headset for my iPhone, and though it's not quite the Rift experience, I still find it pretty impressive. The downside is that lack of 'real' games that don't feel like tech demos.

Anyone know if touch arcade has given a thought to regular coverage of iPhone VR? I would really like to see a regular column on this topic.

11. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Yesterday at Gamescom I had the ultimate comparison between a seated "adventure" experience (Robinson on PSVR) and a "roomscale" experience with Oculus Touch (Dead and buried).

I am rather looking for the first and Robinson was more impressive than Edge of nowhere which I played last year. Dead and buried was fun too and Oculus Touch is extremely precise. But moving a little to dodge often brought me out of the small play area while ducking behind objects felt strange because they lack weight and substance.

Playing Robinson was nice but it shows how low resolution and FOV still make the beautiful vistas still feel being displayed on a monitor not really feeling the immense scale of the final shot in Robinson.

Screen door is very visible in Oculus, although I don't think it hinders the experience. But if you abolutely loathe the effect, PSVR is the way to go, as Sony eliminated the effect. It comes at the expense of some strange smearing effect, as if someone use a stencil brush to hide it.

Another observation was that PSVR is great with glasses while Oculus is definitely not. But then, I had some slight nausea after my 3 PSVR experience while I had none with Oculus, even when seated.

For me PSVR will be a nice entry point with an acceptable price tag, but I am not sold really sold on VR yet as low FOV makes it less immersive as I hoped for.

12. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
  13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Trouble with that is the cardboard type VR has a bad habit of overheating the devices to the point of failure (of course every phone is different but it's still bad for them), I'd actually recommend people stay away from them.

14. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    So the PSVR reviews are in and they are generally favorable: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-vr-headset-reviews

In the forums the PC master race is obviously anal about the lower resolution, which is nonsense. PSVR has 10% less pixels in every direction and comes with 10% lower FOV, so the "PPI" is the same but with less screen door effect.

The lower FOV sure makes a difference, but it comes with more comfort (especially wearing glasses) and at half the price.

If you build your PC and living room around a roomscale experience, sure the Vive is the obvious choice, but as most reviews point out, as an affordable entry point PSVR does a fantastic job.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, this thread is seven months old now and only thirty-something posts so far! The thread as well as the general public reception of VR is luke-warm at this point, but I'm thinking by Christmas we should have a better idea of where this is going when the other headsets hit the market. Even if for some reason the gaming aspect doesn't take hold, I think other uses for it will eventually pick up and shine brightly, like for business. So many possibilities there, it should become the standard when it comes to showing properties, vacationing, and the like! How better to see something somewhere without actually being there? They'll make sales-sight-unseen! All kinds of other applications will/should take advantage of it also! S'pose we'll see how it goes......... I think it will do better with gaming when the 'big boys' become totally wireless, as being tethered to wires like it is now is just not happening. Also, motion sickness is an issue. Seems to me companies right now are just focusing on spitting their product out now to be right there at the onset. There's a feeling of it being rushed out. Like I said, the next generation being cordless will help a lot. That, and some must-have software will help sell the hardware. There isn't anything out like that right now, so you're not seeing that excitement you're looking for! We'll all be keeping an eye on it though!

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Oculus and Vive are way too expensive, not just the VR bits, but the PC you need makes it outrageous, so it's not surprising those haven't taken off. The PSVR is closer to affordable, but really even it is too expensive, especially if you don't already have a PS4. They at least have the benefit of there being a lot of PS4s out there already, so the cost of entry is lower, but still it's a lot of money for unproven technology. But you've got to start somewhere.

17. ShelvsHotPencil

ShelvsHotPencil Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I just turned 21 last sunday.
    Happy brith - ##✌️️#
    And here is a free fan made batman comic I have worked on
    http://fav.me/dakh928

18. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Happy belated birthday, but now back to topic ;)

Sonys VR launch worked quite well, the shipped "several hundred thousand" units are more or less sold out. And the launch stirred up quite some more discussion than the other two (including some bad aspects). I am still sceptic, the early adopters at the PSVR price (still like $600 with some games) might me more than those able to afford Ocolus/Vive but are still rather enthusiast than mainstream.

The lineup seems OK, unfortunately Driveclub (which I would have seen the most playtime by far in) got mixed reviews, other games are clother to the demo/gimmick side, although mostly well received.

With the PS4 Pro launch soon, I am surprised Sony didn't require devs to either implement native 90fps or native 1080p resolution as minimum Pro enhancement.

Me myself got some some strange vertigo lately from shoulder/neck problems and until that condition is completely under control, I won't touch any device with a ten feet pole that might hassle with my equilibrioception :(

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I thought battle zone and Eve Valkyrie were both pretty cool, especially Battle Zone, and seem like they'll be full games (I only tried the demos - don't have PSVR). But I think saying that the PSVR is almost sold out is being a bit generous. Everything I've read seems to say it's still readily available.

20. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    You are right, it rather seems like a uneven global allocation. It seems to be in high demand at least, but as I said that isn't too telling. There are scalpers and some who might resell theirs soon because they just wanted to check VR out or because they are so amazed that they go for on of the 'higher quality' headsets.