iPhone The Tower (by OPeNBooK)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So, how close is this, exactly, to Sim Tower?

I mean, are we talking, this is a port of it, or a clone of it, or a remake of it by the same people...

Sim Tower sucked more hours of my life than any other Sim game than perhaps Sim Farm

2. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    It's a port of the successor (that didn't have Sim in its name anymore for legal reasons), by the same designer, and even using the same old graphics. It seems to be missing some of the features of the desktop Yoot Tower but it feels exactly like what I think the original game felt like back then.

3. tf58

tf58 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    OK how the heck do you deal with a rash of theft? It is not mentioned in the manual and even a large security center doesn't seem to do anything.

4. dannythefool

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    It seems to be similar to bugs in hotel rooms, i.e. it spreads from room to room and can only be dealt with by destroying all affected offices.

I don't think I ever got this when my offices were doing well but I'm not sure.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Strategy Guide

I can't find a strategy guide for Yoot Tower (Ipad)

Has anyone got to 100 levels or made reasonable progress?

Any suggestions?

6. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    play the PC game, and use the cheat that starts you with tons of money.

...that's all I got.

7. SlvrSrfr

SlvrSrfr New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Did you check to see if you have 1 security personnel for each floor? I expanded my security center to 1 personnel per floor and have not seen that problem since.

I think the problem with hotels might have to do with expanding the housekeeping too.

8. dannythefool

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I got to 100 levels but I don't have all stars yet. Either way, this should get you started. This isn't the only way to do it but I do get very stable towers with regular income and most rooms blue, none red following this scheme. This will result in a mostly hotel room based tower, they produce good income and stress is less of a big deal than with permanent residents because hotel guests will leave and pay the next day anyway...

Start out with one floor of fast food and four floors of offices. That should get you your first star as soon as you have enough pop. When you build elevators, never build two elevators that service the same set of floors. The little people will just try to use the closest one to where they are, which is a bad idea most of the time. Instead, to increase throughput, add cars to an elevator (in elevator build mode, place the new elevator in an existing shaft), and to decrease latency, add another elevator but let each one only service half the floors the original elevator served. (On the elevator screen, disable floors by tapping the floor numbers. E.g. elevator A stops on floor 1, 2, 3, 4 and B stops on 1, 2, 5, 6 or something like that. The lobby always needs to be enabled so people can get in and out, and if you have fast food on floor 2 and offices above, it's a good idea to let your workers reach the fast food shops easily).

You can also adjust elevator timing and priorities, but if each elevator only services a small number of floors (eventually, at most 7 plus lobby) it's not needed to keep everybody happy enough. Just set it so that each floor has a car that will spend its idle time on it (touch a cell to set the idle floor of the car represented by the column the cell is in).

As soon as you can, build housekeeping on the next floor (and nothing else!) and hotel rooms on top. Make sure that you have a service elevator in place so your maids can reach all hotel rooms. Save before enabling access for guests, I've seen bugs where this was broken that needed a reload and workaround applied. E.g. for some reason, my maids would never go to the floor directly below housekeeping (so I stopped to put it a few floors up) and at some point, they wouldn't use a secondary service elevator until I extended the first one to the top floor. But generally this works even for a 100 level tower, even when you reach the elevator shaft limit. (Note that error messages for shaft limit and car per shaft limit are swapped in the game...)

Also put security on a floor of its own so you can expand it as needed. You only get one.

Reserve every 15th floor for lobbies and suites. You need the lobbies when you can build express elevators so your guests can switch elevators. Make your lobbies large enough for the express elevator plus two normal ones, each normal elevator will service 7 floors. With only one normal shaft, latency will be too high but two seems to be okay. Suites go on EE levels because suite guests seem to hate switching elevators. You can build more than one EE shaft and it's a good idea to let each one only service two sky lobbies plus the ground lobby, e.g. EE A services 1, 15 and 30 and B services 1, 45 and 60 etc.

Build parking when you can. Office workers will demand it and suites won't attract guests without it. You want at least one suite to work so you can get the VIP event that is required to advance further. You don't need a lot of parking but don't forget to extend it to the left or right to get actual parking spaces and not just a ramp. Do connect the underground floors with elevators as well. You can do this with express elevators if you want, they will stop on every underground floor.

When you build your recycling facility, keep in mind that it can only extend to either side, but not vertically. Leave enough room for expansion.

Build stairs to connect your lobbies with directly adjacent floors. They can take quite a bit of traffic away from elevators. In commercial areas (fast food, restaurants, shops, etc.) build escalators. They help a lot.

About condos... you can build them if you want, but treat them like a loan. You get a lump sum when a tenant moves in, and from then on, they produce no income while still contributing to your building's maintenance cost (so you pay interest of sorts). More importantly, when tenants move out of a condo you automatically refund the purchase price, so you can find yourself out a few million randomly when a number of condo temants decide to move out at the same time. I.e. they're a risky way to get a startup boost but I'd not recommend them for a first game.

The other items are up to you. If you want, you can embed a shopping mall in your tower with tons of retail shops and movie theatres (that boost retail income but need regular costly new movie licenses). Shops can be built underground as well, unlike hotel rooms and offices. Build restaurants to feed hotel guests, build party halls to give them room to convene etc. But generally, pay attention to neighbours: Tenants and guests won't like anything that's potentially noisy next to their rooms.

9. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Tips

Thanks Danny. That's awesome. I'll be trying your techniques.

10. davidcarswell

davidcarswell Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Boo

I use my ps3 for serious gaming-but for casual gaming - iphone is the DEAL-WTF do i need an iPad for - like I need one more thing to carry around... HATE the ipad focus that developers are taking - maybe its just the games i want - but i seem to recall reading that gaming isn't so big on the ipad or was it anything from the appstore... i think people with ipads don't know what to do with them - I live in San Francisco and I go all over the place - I've seen one !!! yes only one in public!!! kinda weird-
    ANYHOW MAKE THIS GAME FOR IPHONE PLEASE-I'll preorder!

11. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Please be more mature.

12. davidcarswell

davidcarswell Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I am being mature - after a good 30 minute discussion with 4 friends my observations weren't my own - i have read a couple articles that supported my statement that games on the ipad don't sell near the rates expected or as much as they do for the iphone/touch. Maybe my WTF portion was emotional but seriously something is amiss.

Now explain to me just how you are being mature by not offering anything to the table except a request for something that surely could be debunked by reading my post.

Surely you jest?

13. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Iphone/Itouch is too tiny for management.. so I doubt there will be an version for that.

Ipad rocks.

14. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I thought davidcarswell was spam at first.. then I thought a child. Now it's more like a troll.

15. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Sorry for the bump

Is this a worth purchase for my new iPad? I loved simtower on pc but there doesn't seem to be a lot of impressions for this version.

16. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    I loved Sim Tower as a kid. Heard Yoot Tower was coming out but never saw anything on the home page about it on Touch Arcade. Decided to randomly search about Yoot Tower and to my surprise it came out back in December! Found this thread and started reading what people had to say before I jumped on it. Most here said it was like the original. I went ahead and downloaded it just now and OMG this is Sim Tower on the iPad. I'm so damn happy right now. I feel like a kid all over again. This game was made for those that played games through the early to late 90's. Its a classic PC game that teens now don't need to play because they'll only give it bad ratings. If you played Sim Tower and want to relive the experience on your iPad then buy this right now.

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Same thing happened to me :p

Just got an iPad a few weeks back and loving it!

18. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I have been really wanting to get this game alot of the reviews on itunes mention alot of bugs and crashes. Have you guys had any problems ?

19. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Not really that I can recall then again I haven't played a whole lot lately...

20. blades

blades Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Saved games crashing

I had one hell of a tower built up, spent a week or so on it. Saved the game and now when I go into the program and I select my save game it crashes constantly. Even if I select new game it crashes.....even tried rebooting the iPad. Still crashing. So anything I can do, or do I have to delete the game from the iPad and start over ?

Anyone else with crash issues ?