iPhone The Tower (by OPeNBooK)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Great news! I've been waiting for this one. Just posted in the 'upcoming' thread last night about how excited I was, and I can hardly believe it's already out.

I will definitely be buying this when I get home.

2. Kramer

Kramer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    There is a fast forward option. You can speed up time, in the config menu.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    The translation's pretty good, the manual is almost perfectly translated and very easy to understand, I did notice the 'It begin to be new?' though!

I've not played one of these games before but the manual explains everything well. You do need to read the manual though imo, the tutorial is very brief.

4. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Ah thanks for that.

That does also demonstrate the UI issue though. It would make sense for that to be in the main screen next to the clock and pause button. Also why is the finance screen in the Option menu?

Translation wise; when saving you get "Do you overwrite?" or "Do you save it?". Also some status messages don't really fit the bottom of the screen that well. I'm sure they did in the original kanji and kana. It's not a terrible game at all. I just think that a game well over 10 years old offers enough time to get these improvements in.

Anyway whinge over... I read that the PC version had 3 tower types and the portability of sky bridges. I don't think either are in this version. Am I right?

5. Artin

Artin New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #25 Artin, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    It's a great game! I've been waiting for it to be released since it was out in Japan.

Artin

6. Nausicaa

Jul 7, 2009
    God, this game is SO awesome and I'm very happy it's out. I was taken within 5 minutes of play time and it felt just like old times. There is just something so insanely captivating about watching those pixelated sims fill up your increasingly massive tower. Developing you tower and controlling the flow of people over time is really addicting. It's kind of the ultimate time management game.

I had totally forgotten about the day and night cycles in this game, and it's fun to watch your tower change throughout the day and week. People going to work in the morning, going to get lunch, and tucking in at night. The graphics are quite charming and there's enough variety in the unit types and animations to prevent it from looking tiled.

The interface works surprisingly well, better than I thought it would. Only problematic aspect I encountered was the inability to pan and zoom simultaneously with two fingers. Also, this game can't be played in landscape mode for some reason, which is kind of a bummer.

Overall, this is one of my favorite apps.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Tower Reviews

Thanks for those who have provided feedback on the game so far.

Anyone else played it? Keen to hear more reviews / feedback.

8. justingamer

justingamer Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    This is totally original! the elevator thing,fun to work on!:D

9. Future51

Future51 New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    It's great.

Is the original fun still intact? Yeah, I think it is. I sat down with Halo: Reach on in front of me and ended up playing Yoot on my iPad for a good 2 or 3 hours (which ran the battery down about 50%).

Translation of dialogues is a little sketchy in some places and the "quick start" part of the manual doesn't explain a lot of the little details that would help you get on your feet quickly.

However there is an extensive manual which you can take a look at at any time that fills in a lot of the blanks, although there is a little trial and error here and there.

As far as the port itself is concerned, yeah, info boxes are weird as hell and don't really mesh with other iPad UIs. The game runs well, but sometimes you end up putting an office/service/room a few pixels off from where you wanted to due to the imperfect touch screen controls. This isn't a huge issue because you can usually move placed things around (though sometimes you can't).

So... anyone have any tips?

Mine are...

Save whole floors for services, namely maid and security. You can only build one (and then expand it) so don't build it on a floor you already have other businesses/rooms on.

Save the first two basement levels for parking (at least) and note that parking only expands to the right (as far as I can tell) so build it at the furtherest point to the right that you can in order to maximize it. Recycling may be the same, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Starting out, build lots of office space first along with a floor of restaurants until you get your second star. Then you can build hotel rooms which provide daily income.

Condos may seem worth it, but they are purchased (not rented) and thus are actually a liability later on (during fires or if the tenants move out). I think they might be worth it later (for the population bonus and to populate shops/restaurants) but it's hard to tell for sure.

Build new elevator shafts when you need to, but remember that you can put multiple elevators in a single shaft by placing new elevators in the shaft. These reduce stress but increase your maintenance. The less stress your people have, the more they're willing to pay in rent.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Ever play Little Computer People? If not, you would love it...or you would have when it came out, 80 gajillion years ago. Not sure if it holds up today, but it was the progenitor of games like this, as was SimCity, of course.

11. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    The games I brought recently are going on sale now, so I will not be buying any full price apps... Instead I'll keep my eyes open for a yoot tower sale price for Christmas.

12. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I haven't purchased yet - waiting for a price drop on appshopper.com

Can two people each save their own tower.. if I share my iPad with somebody else?

13. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    This would be awesome if it were available on the iPod Touch.

14. Artin

Artin New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Yep, you can :). You can have up to 5 different saves. You can't name your saves though :(. The title of the save is the DATE TIME you last saved it at.

Artin

15. Remon

Remon Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    loving this game! Worth every cent.

16. HeshamAmiri

HeshamAmiri Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Great game, though some of the game messages still seem to be in Japanese, this game along SimCity will be eating any free time I have next week.

17. Nausicaa

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't count on it. It really seems like this developer isn't following trends in the US app store, just based on the design of the app.

18. mattybfresh

mattybfresh Member

Jun 8, 2010
    iPhone/iPod Touch versions?

Anyone know if there's any hope that Yoot Tower will make it onto iPhone/iPod platforms? I haven't been able to play Yoot/Sim Tower for aeons; would really like to play it again for nostalgia's sake... I wasted many hours during my childhood with these games.

Alternatively, is there any way to run Yoot/Sim Tower on OS X?

19. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Yoot Tower - Strategy Guide?

Is there a strategy guide for Yoot Tower anywhere?

20. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I too would love to have this on my iPhone/iPod Touch.