Universal The Talos Principle (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 11, 2017.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    New update with new icon and some bug fixes and improvements but I didn't notice anything..

2. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    This game is just absolutely perfect for a portable device.

I was an avid PC/console gamer but somehow I've just lost the patience for sitting on my couch and staring at a game for hours. With iOS I can make small breaks anywhere and pick up where I left - Anywhere I want :)

Saw it with The Witness. Never finished it on PC but on iPad one can always come back and if only for a few short bursts.

Only the touch controls (Talos Principle) as always aren't completely optimal but probably as good as they can get. Luckily possible to circumvent with an mfi controller, alas mine kicked the bucket a few days ago. Still, the touch controls arent so bad, just saying - as so often the case - with mfi it's even better.

In any case, this game is an absolute gem and only 5 bucks is nothing ahort of a gift.

3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    As someone who didn't really enjoy The Witness (I got really bored of it after solving about 200 puzzles, and didn't really enjoy them much to be frank) - do you think I would enjoy this?

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    The puzzles in this are much different. More hands on having to move these laser type things in order to open doors, stop robotic drone type things, etc. It’s not the same as Portal but that’s still a closer comparison because it’s solving large scale puzzles in (open air) “rooms”.

I didn’t like The Witness much either but love this game and double dipped to get the iOS version.

5. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Do the puzzles change much through the game, or is it just jammers/dodging in different combinations?

6. Danny_HR

Danny_HR Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hey, can you try and explain the issue in more detail. I've been playing with the virtual gamepad around the office and found no such issues. We'd love to fix as many things as possible, because we truly want everyone to enjoy the game, since we're so proud of it. :)

Same as above - if you could provide more info that would be amazing. If not here, then on support[at]croteam.com.
    We'll be on it faster than you can say "Croteam is the bomb".

Thanks for posting this. I'll have a look ASAP.
    Please let me know what device you are using.

Haven't experienced this myself, but it's always hard when you use the game daily. Maybe it's a sensitivity issue. I'll have a look as soon as I get to the office. Thanks!

Thanks so much.
    And btw, the icon change was totally my idea. Rest of the guys ware not bothered by the first one! :)

Oh, they change. They get more and more complicated with time. :)

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #47 metalcasket, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Hah, yeah...I think you guys have classically conditioned me to recognize white and black backgrounds with The Talos Principle. Something about a blue background was off-putting.

This is totally off-topic, but I hope this opens the door to getting a full-fledged Serious Sam title on iOS.

8. leokon96

leokon96 Active Member

Jun 3, 2016
    The issue with the camera suddenly changing orientation happened to me as well. It's very rare and I'm not sure what's causing it.

9. Danny_HR

Danny_HR Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Those are the hardest to fix, especially if we can't reproduce them. And so far we haven't seen that.
    Please let me know if you figure out what triggers it, and I'll be on the game as much as I can so I can try and see if I can get the same issue.

Oh, I wouldn't hold my breath. But hey, you never know. ;)

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've sent you a PM with a video link demonstrating the issue I was talking about.

Apart from that small issue, I'm around 6 hours in and loving the game!

11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Love this game but to say this version is the best is a bit of a stretch. Much better with a controller on console. I bought this a second time to have it on the go so not saying it’s bad by any means. It’s great on mobile too, especially if you don’t have access to play it elsewhere.

Also not against the port. I just don’t think any 3D first or third person port is going to be the “best” version on mobile. Turn based strategy, 2D puzzle games, JRPGs, etc. can certainly be the best version on mobile.

Anyway, awesome game no matter where you play it.
    Just the hyperbole like in the front page story implying this is the best of all the versions is misleading IMO.

12. Zaaron

Zaaron New Member

Oct 13, 2017
    iPad Pro 10.5 unplayable after first update

Hi The game ran and looked beautiful on launch with my iPad Pro but after the first update the game is unplayable with glitching and lag, looks like the graphics were down graded as well?

13. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Yikes. Suddenly glad I've held off so far. iPad 12.9 here.

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I've been playing for hours before and after the update on my iPad Pro 12.9 and the performance is absolutely fine, and the graphics are exactly the same as before.

15. D Wo

D Wo Member

Nov 30, 2008
    This would be a instant buy if it had the "Road to Gehenna" DLC. Otherwise I already own the game (with the DLC) on PS4, so it's hard for me to justify double dipping for a version of the game that has less content than I already have...

Hope this port sell well regardless :)

16. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Regarding the mute problem with the call in the middle of the game, I have iPhone 6.
    Thank you!

17. originalmagneto

originalmagneto New Member

Oct 13, 2017
    AppleTV version

Can someone reach out to the developer and ask if they can enable AppleTV support? Without the confinements of a mobile device plus the A10X processor in the most current iteration, this game can look awesome.:D

18. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Good to hear. Time to jump in then.

19. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I'm using the virtual game pad, with sensitivity set to 2.7. As I move around each level, randomly I'll end up either looking at the sky or the ground. It happens pretty often, on each level.

20. Danny_HR

Danny_HR Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Zagreb, Croatia
    We have found an issue, and it was fixed just now. We have pushed the patch to Apple, and hopefully it will go through cert smoothly and be available in a couple of hours. Thanks for reporting this.

We weren't able to reproduce the issue, but are looking into it. Hold on for a bit more. Sorry.

Although we have no such plans at the moment, we always go by the saying "never say never". So we'll see what happens. :)

That's weird. I was using virtual gamepad a lot, cause it's my prefered control option, and never had that issue. What device are you using?