Universal The Talos Principle (by Devolver Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 11, 2017.

1. kowalos

kowalos Member

Oct 16, 2014
    What a lovely time for iOS. Witness and now this! When Witness framerate is not solid on 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 Talos is very smooth but very low res textures and shadows. Filtering makes it look very blurry when text is crisp . It feels like there's a lot of spare power in a9x in this case but maybe it's realated to battery consumption. Witness kills the battery twice quicker than the latter even after brightness patch. In my opinion Witness is better port visually but Talos let you play longer at least on 12.9 screen. Anyways very happy with both. Very curious about newer devices performance and visual differences. Waiting for input from you guys. It's brilliant that you don't need the newest devices or iOS 11 to run it. Who needs AR games :)

2. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Default controls are the same tap to move\double tap to run and gestures for fine tuning as in The Witness. It also has the option for the tried and true digital analog stick to move and touch screen for looking around. I prefer the latter and really wish it would be put into The Witness as well. You're given options for inverting look and movement controls, sensitivity, and even movement speed, so it covers everything you could want even without a controller. I've been playing all morning without any issues or complaints thus far.

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nice one thank you.

4. JRJulius

JRJulius Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Playing on an iPad Mini 4 (same processor as Apple TV and iPhone 6) and generally impressed so far. Trees are kind of jagged but textures are quite good overall and the frame rate is a mostly-steady 30 FPS.

I got this in a Steam sale a while back and I loved the game. However, I encountered some serious crashing issues on every setting, and there are TONS of settings to play with on the PC version. The game engine on iOS seems basically idiot-proofed and 30 FPS is perfectly reasonable for a slow paced puzzle game.

I’m very, very impressed with the port so far.

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Which one has the shortest playthrough ? Talos or Witness? I would prefer not to play many many hours because we have so many games and we cannot find enough time for all these.

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  7. leokon96

leokon96 Active Member

Jun 3, 2016
    great port, runs well on the iPad mini 2

8. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I haven't played Talos yet but I can tell you that The Witness will take you a very, very long time. Great game with some insanely difficult puzzles. I love it. #
    Seriously... long time.

9. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Anyone else finding a problem with the controls? Using the virtual joystick, I frequently find myself suddenly either gazing at the sky or the ground.

10. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    wait, what? I have that iPad, and I'd hope it would be able to run anything butter smooth. Definitely not getting witness unless that is resolved. Lazy developer...

Anyway, super launch price. Can anyone verify that it's a good port, and the controls make sense, both with and without mfi ?

11. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I'm loving this port. I have the steam version and playing this on iPad Pro 10.5" is now my preferred platform. Perfect for relaxing back and settling into a play session with good headphones and iPad. Between this, The Witness, and the new Professor Layton release I am up to my eyeballs in top shelf puzzle adventure! # Great time to be on iOS! Now for the n'th time, I only wish that UPLINK will be updated to 64 and most all my reasons for gaming will be on iOS #

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Although I purchased it, can anyone confirm this is the whole game? Apparently under an Android release earlier, the initial price was $4.99 with a number of “Chapters” also costing additional $4.99 with the full game being around $30.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    It’s the full game. And the Android version is now also $4.99 for the full game. Quite a bargain!

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks. I enjoyed it quite a lot on PS4 and look forward to playing it all again.

15. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    bought. couldn’t play the witness for more then 5 minutes at a time because i would get motion sickness hopefully this one is easier on my sad little body :eek:

16. NewZealand

NewZealand Active Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Brilliant game but the virtual controls are shocking making it unplayable.

17. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm so glad this game was finally ported to iOS! I played it on PC previously but I kind of let it go because I never open my computer nowadays, since I'm no longer capable of using a mouse anymore for gaming.. The graphics were more impressive on PC, but it's a complete steal at this price on iOS...

I had never had this kind of game experience since the Myst series. It has lovely graphics, a beautiful soundtrack, interesting puzzles and a mysterious atmosphere. It plays splendidly with my Nimbus controller too.

18. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    #38 nkarafo, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    I played it in iPhone 6. The graphics are low-texture and low resolution but it has good performance and the battery, as someone else wrote it before, maybe is not so consuming. I like that it has voice acting and background music in contrast to "The Witness" which has no music. I am not sure but also some animations of the trees that are moving are not shown. I have not yet tested in iPad pro but maybe I won't because I don't have free space but maybe it has better graphics. I like the free looking around and the customization of controls - virtual gamepad and tap & swipe. Also first or third person. It's only 5-6 euros and it's pretty playable. :)

P.S. Found a bug. If someone will call you when you are playing, then when you will return, it's mute.

19. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I’m really enjoying the game, but they need to take a look at the character animation when using two-finger swipes for fine movement in third-person view. The fine movement is meant to give you precise control for lining things up accurately etc (the same as The Witness) but in third-person view the character jitters around like crazy, especially when moving from side to side.

I’m not sure if this happens on all devices but it’s an issue on my iPad Pro. It kinda defeats the purpose of subtle, precise movement when the character is shaking around like mad, putting you off.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You guys at Devolver/Croteam...y’all deserve hugs. Thank you for understanding iOS and delta updating Talos. Other developers could learn a thing or two from you...*ahem*theklainc*ahem*.

Also, the icon change was definitely welcome. :)