The story of a developer- Chillingo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brewstermax, Jan 14, 2009.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I thought that the story of this dev is one that every horrid dev should pay attention to. If you don't remember, Chillingo was a bad dev. As bad as DS Effects and AAApplications, if that means much. Then after 100+ horrible apps, that nobody would buy, something clicked. They released Vegas Pool Sharks, and then a series of other great games. These now include Meteor-Brickbreaker, iPingpong, Bike or Die 2, Orions, Marble Maze Ultra, and Sneezies. They continue to improve the apps that they released unfinished, and low quality. It is a great story from one of the most despised devs on the Store, to one of my personal favorites.

2. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Chillingo is not just a developer.
    They're mainly a publisher.

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    u r aware that chillingo PUBLISHES some apps and does not MAKE them right? like the devs of bike or die 2 are ToySpring; but published by chillingo

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Yes, I am. But they did directly develop some of the titles that I gave, and also made the horrid titles in the early days of the Store.

5. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    They didnt develop Orions, Sneezies, Marble MazaUltra or Meteor Brickbreaker I could name more but theres alot lol, Chillingo like people have is mainly a publisher and even if you didn't look at the info inside the appstore where it says developer by, you should be able to tell by all the different styles of the games.

6. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yes, they have been releasing some much higher quality games, but like the other posters have said, Chillingo published most of their more valuable games.

I thought I'd just throw this in since the game seems pretty popular now, but the story behind iShoot is pretty amazing as well. (I posted what happened to it on the "iShoot look alike" thread if you want to see it)

7. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    plus Bike or Die has been out forever, it's not like they developed it specifically for the iDevices... I agree with your post though, at some point devs realize how to succeed in the App Store through quality, not quantity ha