The Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Limited market and intergrated hardware. Even when you could freely pop a new video card into a Mac that cost less then two grand there weren't a while lot of options availble and those that did exist for Power PC based machines cost twice their PC counterparts. It's not like the Mac has ever been completely devoid of games, but why bother supporting a niche OS running on extremely expensive proprietary hardware when Windows controls 90% of the market? Also it's not like Apple has ever pushed the gaming angle like Microsoft has. It played a huge part in their Windows 95 strategy and has solidified it as the PC gaming OS of choice for the rest of time. Meanwhile the Mac didn't even get Doom until 1997.

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea that's about what I've been told, but with the macs new configs like i7 processors and ATI Gpus that are actually decent and more then capable to run games now, should we be expecting a gaming boom on mac gaming much like they've done for cell phones?..

Or is it at this point like you said just not enough share for developers to invest the time.. Interesting to see where they're headed in the next few years and I hope they work on bridging that divide.

3. Spamcan

The Mac gaming community has improved quite a bit in recent years, the fact that steam is now available for OS X is evidence of that. A lot of the same problems persist though, all the Macs but the Mac Pro are intergrated systems that can't be updated. That cuts off a decent amount if users running older hardware from running hardware intensive games. There's also the fact that Macs can dual boot with Windows now making Mac specific releases redundant.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea but I head that even wine or duel booting is hit or miss with certain games.

5. Spamcan

A modern Mac is made of the same off the shelf parts as any PC, Windows should perform exactly like it would on any other PC with the same specs. I haven't run Windows on my Mac since 2008 but if there's any performance issues I'd blame the goofy default Apple drivers.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I just hope it gets better soon, lol. That's the thing..many of the games on the Mac AppStore are also on the iOS..they're not actual "console" games. There's only 250 titles on Steam for the Mac as well.

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Currently, I'd say the Mac App Store is a 'gold mine' for developers to re-release games at a higher cost, purely because they believe gamers are willing to pay more for the game just because it's on Mac now.

However, as Mac gaming becomes less of a novelty and more of a standard platform for gaming, the prices are going to fall to match PC gaming.

Heck, we might even get to the stage where big console releases have Mac support from day one, but that won't be for a while yet.

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Yea, I agree, especially after seeing COD4 being sold on the Mac App Store for $49.99. On Steam, I believe it's $20 and has gone down to at least $10.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Portal 2 is on sale for $14.99 and comes with "Peer Review," the DLC, for free! Getting a copy for both my girlfriend and me. Freaking excited to play it. The co-op mode should be awesome.

10. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    The co-op is spectacular, but you really need to play the campaign as well. It's got a great story that ends where co-op begins. It's got brilliant humor and more fully developed characters than its predecessor. I've gotta say, it's one of the best games (if not the best game) I've ever played. Have fun with it. :D

On a Steam-related note, I finally began to play TF2! :) It's a frickin' BLAST!!!

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Gimme Username NOW! :D

12. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Same as the one for TA.
    There are two things you need to know: That I don't use voice chat cuz' I'm paranoid and that I will not tolerate cyberbullying. :cool:

13. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. Who the hell cyber bullies on TF2? :p

And I don't use voice chat either, just the text box. Wanna play right now? I'll add you. :)

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I didn't find TF2 to be fun at all :[..especially with the insane loading times. Portal 2 is freaking brilliant though. Can't wait to play more when I find time.

15. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    You should though. When you start collecting weps and hats, then it starts getting fun. You should add me (Just go to the TA group to add me since there are quite a few "crex"s). I'll show you a server that's fun as hell. :)

16. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I used to find it fun, but got bored of it. I ended up just trading most of my hats and metals for $60 worth of Steam games.

17. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I didn't really find it to be fun as well. It's a decent game I suppose, just not my type. I prefer realistic multiplayer fps games more.

My favorite free2play fps on pc is actually Wolfteam. Now that's a really fun game, though not very realistic I suppose. You guys should look it up.

Right now I'm enjoying the BF3 beta multiplayer quite a lot, though I wish they had vehicles in the beta.

I also like multiplayer games that do new things. I found Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer was a thrill to play.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Portal 2. Holy. Shit.

About time I get to see something that resembles where the graphics are at these days again. But the gameplay, holy shit. Co-op, holy shit. So glad it went on sale. Got 2 copies of the game for under $30. I thought the original game was amazing. This..

19. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Haha I used to love Wolfteam as well! I actually forgot the name of that game :p

20. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal