The Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jul 21, 2011.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #121 crex, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    Woah woah woah!! Wait, what?? Free Portal? WHERE?!!!!! :eek:

EDIT: nvm. Found it! :D

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm having trouble registering with Steam...

"Your account creation request failed, please try again later."

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Thats wierd... did you try googling the problem? If anything try again tomorrow you still have 2 days :)

4. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Does anyone know if alot of people still play Battlefield Bad Comapny 2 multiplayer on PC? I've never thought about getting it since my PC was always too weak and couldnt handle, but now I've set my sights on it again. But my main gripe is if people still even play the multiplayer, and the fact that Battlefield 3 beta and release is soon too.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Oh there's definitely a lot of people who still play it. Hell, there's lots of people who still play Battlefield 2.

6. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    There's lots of people online but I recommend you wait. Battlefield is in a month. During the summer, BFBC2 was 2 bucks. Now it's back to full price.

7. TSFP

TSFP Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Man I can't wait until BF3! It's a shame it won't be on steam though.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    :O Still unable to create an account! Looks like no free Portal for me :(

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #129 backtothis, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    Mac on Steam:

Frozen Synapse? Sounds pretty awesome, and the game comes with 2 copies.

Any good RPGs? Torchlight? Two Worlds II? Anything else? Anything worth getting?

Edit: Any RPGs on the MAppStore worth getting besides Avadon?

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, if you're not too desperate for it, I'd wait. I've seen it go on sale for $12.49, so that makes $24.99 look like a lot for me :p And who knows, it may go on sale on Thanksgiving/Black Friday or Christmas.

But if you really want it, you can get it and then trade the other copy for another $10 game or something.

I'm not really an RPG player, but the only ones that I can name (only name, not go into detail about :p) are Rift and Torchlight.

By the way, you can check a game's price history over here: http://www.steamgamesales.com/

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #131 backtothis, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks for the info! Wow, there's lots of sales on Steam just like on the AppStore. Source has gone down to $4.99 before? Damn, lol. The flexible prices in the AppStore don't really matter much to me since it's usually very cheap to begin with, but saving $15 is a good deal. Not sure I want to buy anything until Black Friday anymore xP. Now I remember why I generally always finished a console game before buying another one. Ah..

12. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Haha yea, there are definitely a lot of sales on Steam. Not only are there sales for Black Friday/Christmas/Summer, there is the Daily Deal everyday, Weekend Deals, and Midweek Deals. You'll definitely save (and spend) quite a bit of money during the Black Friday sale and you will definitely have a huge backlog of games.

Let's see.. I've paid:

$17 for all the Sam & Max games, which include around 17 episodes. I've played 2 episodes.

$7.50 for all Prince of Persia games. I haven't even finished one.

$17.50 for all GTA games, and I haven't even played. Well, I tried GTA IV, but it didn't run that well on my computer and I didn't have a controller at the time (and it sucks playing with a keyboard/mouse).

I also have a bunch of indie games from the Humble Indie Bundles, which I haven't even touched.

But yea, if you have a decently powerful Mac, I recommend installing Windows via BootCamp so that you don't limit yourself to Mac games since, well, there aren't that many.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #133 backtothis, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Those sound like really good deals even if you haven't played them yet, lol. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with the latest OS. Not sure what a powerful Mac would be. Might just have to install Windows though. Are the daily deals the games under the tab labeled specials? The Indie Strategy Bundle looks like a very good deal. Can't play 3 out of the 5 games though. Same with the Indie 2D Bundle. Might have to get that one. I can play four of five of the games, and World of Goo is included! The thing is I'm not really looking for casual/puzzle games on the Mac. I want some actual "console" games. Might just have to get a PS3/360.

14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Yea, you can find them there, but usually you can see them on the right side under Today's Deal.

[​IMG]

Then above that, there would be the Midweek Deals and Weekend Deals. If you check right now, there should be two Midweek Deals. You should check out the Bundles, which include like 5 games for $9.99.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #135 backtothis, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Yeah, I saw the deals. That's why I wanted to get Two Worlds II. It's been $17.00 before though, but that's not a huge difference from its current sale price. Torchlight has been $5 three times already since it's been released so I think I'll wait on that one. But yeah, might get TWII. I was going to get FS lol, but then you showed me the sales site (not blaming you though!). Might still have to get it though. What I'm really looking for is a game with multiplayer between PC and Mac since my girlfriend has a Vaio. We're trying out TF2 right now, but the load times are just horrific. Thanks for the info though dude.

One last question, if I gift FS to my girlfriend, will that count as a purchase for her since you're not allowed to buddy people until you have have one paid game. Would the gift count?

16. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Wow, for your situation, there are even less games than I thought. I went to Mac>Cross-platform Multiplayer and saw that there are only 9 games that support cross-platform multiplayer, which I find strange and disappointing. Unless developers just mindlessly choose Multiplayer. I'm just confused now lol.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That's not answering my question! Haha, that's weird though. I'd think Frozen Synapse allowed PC and Mac to connect online. I say that category as well. If it's true, then that just sucks, lol. I think those are just the games made for online multiplayer though.

18. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Oh sorry, I didn't even see that question lol. Anyways I don't think so because the giftable copy will be in your inventory and you can only gift the extra copy to people on your friends list. What you may be able to do is purchase FS as a gift and send it to your girlfriend's email. Then if she is then able to add people to her friends list, she can gift you the extra copy. I'm not sure if thisll work so don't take this as a definite answer :p Or you can buy something on her account with your PayPal/CC.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hm, the thing is I haven't purchased anything either! LOL. I think I'll just purchased TWII on my account and get FS on her account. Thanks for all the help. Definitely going to be on the lookout for deals.

20. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Oh haha, alright no problem :p