The Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wow thanks so much! :D

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    No problemo :p

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    So, I'm looking for a game to play. Something fun.

Something like a dungeon crawler, with lots of loot and really, really good combat. A good story would be a bonus, but not required.
    I don't want anything top-down like Diablo or Torchlight, but where you control one character. Lots of skills, flashy moves a bonus.

Any suggestions?
    I've been browsing steam for a good hour and just haven't found anything to tickle my fancy.

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Hm, Legend of Grimrock or The Binding of Isaac?

I haven't played Legend of Grimrock myself, but I've heard good things about it. I'm not sure if it's what you want though :p The Binding of Isaac is probably not what you're looking for, but it does have a lot of different loots and some interesting (and potentially worthless) skills.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Thanks for the suggestions!

They're not quite it, but I'm feeling peckish more than needy at the moment, hence the question. ^^

I was looking for something along the lines of Kingdoms of Amalur (almost exactly KoA, actually), but less MMO-ey.

6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Hm, I'm not sure then :p Perhaps try asking on the Steam forums, there will probably be some people there that will be able to help you out.

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Heh, I'm not going in there. :p

I've actually ended up playing SPAZ, hehe. So much for wanting an ARPG. :rolleyes:

8. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    If you're still looking for one, try Darksiders II? I've never played it, so I'm not sure if there's a lot of loot. Reviews are pretty good, so it's worth a look.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Just got a new gaming laptop and I'm not really that used to PC gaming on a whole. What are some good free games out there on steam?

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, TF2 is pretty much the most popular. I've heard decent things about Tribes: Ascend and Blacklight: Retribution, though they heavily follow the 'pay2win' way of gaming.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Realm of the Mad God
    Trackmania Nations Forever

12. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I like the look of tribes. It reminds me of Halo

13. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #573 MystikSun, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Tribes has a VERY steep learning curve though. You'll see why.

Another good game is ARMA II Free if you like shooters (Free, not the Demo. It's pretty much the full game except you can't put mods like DayZ on them).

TF2 is a must if you like FPS.

Realm of the Mad God is a great RPG game to play if you get a lot of friends to play with you.

If you EVER feel like you can spend a little bit of money but the games seem expensive, wait for a Steam Mega Sale. Most of the games are on sale for at least 33%. Some great games like Portal 2 even go on sale for 75%. They usually take place in July, November, and around Christmas time. I forgot if they have one during the spring, so someone tell me if they do.
    The Mega Sale also has a special daily sale where a ton of games go for even cheaper than they normally would during the Mega Sale. Ask me if you want to know more about it.

Also, I have a coupon for a free download of Torchlight and Magicka if you or anyone on this thread wants them. PM me if you want either of those.

Edit: Torchlight was given to Earthclaw. Magicka is still up for grabs.

Edit: All gone :p

14. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #574 earthclaw, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    I have tried the Arma 2 dayz mod , it was alot of fun ,but i didnt live to long.

+1 on realms of a mad god...alot of fun reminds me a little of gauntlet..

15. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    Do you know if there will be a big steam labor day sale?

16. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I doubt there will be a big sale for labor day, maybe something small though. The next sale celebrating a special event would probably be Halloween then Black Friday/Thanksgiving. Then, of course, the Winter/Holiday/Christmas sale.

Oh, and I do have coupons for 75% off Trine 2 and Portal 2. So if anyone wants one, let me know.

17. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Oooooooh would love code for Trine 2 if still available??? :) game looks amazing!

18. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Alright, the Trine 2 code will be going to mashead2000 (when he adds me :p).

I realized the Portal 2 code will be expiring tomorrow, so I decided to buy it and give it away here:
    http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/hdKEG/portal-2
    The giveaway is ending next Tuesday, so there's lots of time :p

19. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Added you ;) lol thanks in advance!!! :D

20. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Looks like Gotham City Impostors is going F2P. Pretty decent game for free. Only problems was the dying community, so hopefully this'll liven is back up.