The Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Probably quite a bit, I've been on steam for about 3-4 years and through the various sales I've built my library to 82 games and growing. This sale doesn't have too much that I'm interested in but maybe something will catch my eye.

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Hell yea, BF3 is 50% off in the Origin Store! I doubt I can even run it (well) though :p

3. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    #223 Ghouls'R'us, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    Usually I work on my Mac, but since my family recently bought a cheapo PC laptop, I've spent some time with it and put my Steam install on it.

Sales are pretty good. Went ahead and grabbed Shatter, Night Sky and a quirky little wonder called "Beep", all for $2.50 each.

Hope NightSky is different enough from Trundle... (I'm aware of the history between those two.)

*** edit ***

Lookat that! Limbo's on sale for $2.50!

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Got Two Worlds II for $13.50, Splinter Cell Conviction for $4.99, and Civilization V for $10.19. Picking up Counter Strike and Torchlight by tomorrow night. Just seeing what's on sale for the last day of Steam sales first.

5. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    #225 MystikSun, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    I really hope that CS Source is one of the sales tomorrow. If not then oh well, I'll still buy it anyway. I'm going to get Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 or 2 when I get back from LA. My computer can't handle much so I'm deciding if I should get 1 or 2. My only trouble is the graphics card, although my computer exceeds the recommended specs for the majority of the games on Steam EXCEPT for graphics. Laptop, so I can't replace the card that easily. What I'm asking if that since the seconds supposedly isn't that big of a boost from the first in graphics, should I take the risk of buying the second for better gameplay or be safe with the first?

Sorry for the grammar mistakes, I'm typing this on my phone xD

Edit: Probably going to get Advanced Warfighter 1 since it has a higher Metascore. Or none. Looked at it and thought it wasn't that great. Only have $22 left in my spendings and I don't want to touch my savings :p

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    It really sucks how the games I want to pick up most from the sale aren't available on the Mac. Wanted to get RAGE and Limbo. But as Backtothis said earlier, at least having a Mac controls my spending. :D

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Oh man, Limbo is awesome, I definitely recommend buying it especially at $2.50. I know you have a Mac, but you can always install Windows via BootCamp to run Windows games :p

8. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Didn't you say you have an X-Box 360? You can get those games on that, right? Or is it just the fact that they're on sale?

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Well, I could. Problem is I don't really play my X-box much.

10. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    A little off topic but we should play some time PM me for my GT. I saw all the steam sales and everything I wanted I won't be able to play when I get my mac mini:(

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Meh, nothing good for the Mac today it seems. Going to pick up Torchlight and 2 copies of CS. I think I have every single game I want on Steam for the Mac now, lmao.

12. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Oh, the joy of spam mail.
    Anything? Guys, I got a hangnail.

I ALSO got Counter Strike Source. See some of you online?

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #233 backtothis, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    Just played almost two hours of Torchlight. I had almost forgotten how a good Diablo/BG-type game was supposed to play. Extremely fun and well-made game. I love dungeon crawlers.

About to try out Two World II. Hopefully it's decent. Probably getting Skyrim and a PS3 within the next two weeks when the semester is over, and I can't wait to see what kind of experience that's going to be.

Sucks SC Conviction won't work. It seems there's a problem with Ubisoft games on the Mac for Steam. Anyone know anything about this?

Edit: Just played over 2 hours of TWII. Plenty of fun. Don't remember the last time I played a console Western RPG. Damn. So different from iOS games.

14. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I doubt you'll ever go back to Gameloft or EA's iOS games. I know I won't. Definitely grab the [entire trilogy of] Uncharted games, they're absolutely stunning in every way and will be a warm welcome to current-gen console gaming. Have fun, man.

/offtopic

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Dude I bet. I'm thinking my time spent with the iOS is going to drop dramatically over winter break. I'm not bringing it to college with me next semester though so I'll only be able to play it during spring break and various weekends. Summer and the sophomore year will be a different story though, heheh.

----------

Got SC Conviction working on the Mac after replacing some files. Incredible stealth game. Makes the iOS version look like a very bad joke. Glad it works now.

16. MystikSun

Dec 18, 2009
    Good day. I got the HumbleBundle for today and got Multiwinia and others. I like Multiwinia because it's pretty much a simple version of Total War xD

I made a 3 cent donation to humble bundle. I have no heart.

That and I got Dungeon Defenders for a friend and I.

My Steam Library doubled in a week.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I haven't bought any casual/indie games yet on Steam. I feel like I can play them on the iOS should I feel that rare need to since I'm not really a fan of them.

In any case, I just sank three and a half hours into Torchlight. Can't believe show archaic it makes Dungeon Hunter 2 feel. This game is almost two years old in the first place. Will definitely be picking up Torchlight 2 once that's out in early 2012. I think I'm a bit past halfway with first one. Always loved dungeon crawlers. Not to mention, it only cost me $7.49, which is the same price both DH and DH2 cost me after tax. The experiences are genuinely worlds apart.

Honestly, this is probably why I've been playing almost only handhelds for the past 4-5 years. The PSP, iPod Touch, 3DS, and iPad 2 can't match up to how immersive console games are. Rarely could I play a game on any of those for over an hour, and rarely have I ever done so. With less time on my hands, portables became the better choice.

Really not sure I should get a PS3 now, lol. Considering I don't play the iOS for the casual games, I'm not sure what kind of games I'd actually play on it after getting a PS3.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Got two copies of RUSE today on sale. Looks like the only good RTS available for the Mac, lol. Getting a 360 within a week! Forget the PS3 xP.

19. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    y u no PS3? It has half a billion exclusives. Sure, PSN doesn't quite reach the heights of XBL, but I prefer the controllers. Or is it based on your friends' preferences?

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I don't know a soul who owns a PS3. So yeah, you could say that, heh. Looks like no Uncharted for me, but I'm fine with that. MW3, Halo Reach, and Skyrim should last me through 33 days of winter break. Not bringing it with me next semester so I'll only be playing it various weekends and during spring break until summer is here. My roommate has a 360 and Live though so I'll probably be spending a lot of time playing with him next semester and the people in my hall, lol.