Universal The Sims 3 Ambitions (By Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 15, 2010.

1. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Damn. I hate to be the one to do this... but is that a negative on retina support? Doesnt look like it's been mentioned in the blurb on thread page 1.

I have an annoying OCD thing that means I don't want low res app icons on my menu. How crap is that. I miss out on so many good games. This looks quite good though, and I hoped that after Mirror's Edge and Madden 11 all EA games hence forth would support Retina.

I know not everyone has an iPhone 4, but I really wish devs would get the finger out and update their icons... Almost all the Game Center app devs brought out updated icons for the launch last week (Except Pangea who seemed to lower the res of their icon for whatever reason...). Anyone else? Just me.....

2. Lifein2D

Lifein2D Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    Your not alone. I'm kind if the same way, but for the games that I really like Ill just put them in a folder and hope that their updated one day.

3. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeeeeeh I do that do. Can't help myself. Retina display has ruined me!! What I don't get is how the appstore lets you see all icons in HD, so it's doable. Must just need devs to update now. Wonder if apple could do it remotely tho.

Anyway, back on topic: Sims Ambitions now available in UK appstore. Can anyone with an iPhone 4 tell me if it has an HD icon? Thank you please...

4. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

You can always change the app icons you know, with or without jailbreaking.

Each app has an Icon.png and for retina displays an [email protected]. Add missing Icon@2x files for hd icons.

5. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    The only thing holding me back from buying the first two mobile installments of the Sims was the ability to at least have children. I wonder though, much like the pc games, is your offspring able to grow up into an adult sim as a new playable character, or do they simply stay children for the whole duration of your game?

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    So kids are already in this?

7. Musclegiant

Sep 16, 2010

They are, with the ability to apparently actually customize the size of your house. This includes building rooms, etc.

8. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Out now in US !

9. Lifein2D

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    I've just downloaded it and it doesn't have the HD icon :(

I'm kind of disappointed in EA, No Game Center or RD support

10. Musclegiant

Sep 16, 2010
    Just bought, will post impressions pretty soon.

11. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Bummer. Thanks for letting me know though... And thanks to sticktron for informing me about the HD icon mods. Think you could explain how to do it/where to get HD icons in a thread? Pretty please q: ?

12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I have to be honest. I dont like this game on the iPhone but i love this game on the iPad (2x). The big screen works perfect for a game like the sims. i was a huge sims fan on the mac but i never liked the previous iphone games. But i am looking forward to play ambitions

the new build mode is cool and i can live the with the goal system. i hope there will be a native iPad Version in the future.

13. Lifein2D

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    Game Impressions

I've just started playing and its clear this isn't an HD game. The menus look decent on the iPhone 4. But the character models can be very pixelated.

But I still think its worth the $5. There seems to be a lot more to do in the game and its for some reason cheaper than the Sims 3.

14. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Can't get to it from the App store, it doesn't find it :(... still bought it using the links. It's installing right now... waiting to play;)

15. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I recorded a short Gameplayvideo from the build mode. its not an off screen recording. its the actual video feed which means better quality. i hope this will give you an overview.

16. Musclegiant

Sep 16, 2010
    Game Impressions

So far the game is awesome. The customization is much better than the first game, although it could use some improvement. Half of the attire options are strictly job based "uniforms" which can be a bit annoying for those of us who want a regular looking sim. However the options are still pretty plentiful. The game play itself is pretty fun, and the tutorial pretty much explains everything needed to play the game. Not a lot of confusion at all, which is good in a Sims game. The fact that you can have kids and customize the size of your house is well worth the price alone in my opinion. Again, your Iphone/Ipod is not a computer therefore the game is "limited" compared to the PC version. Nevertheless, the game has all the essentials that made the Sims so fun. Another con that may bug some more than others is the really small blue figure (your sim) that shows up when traveling around town. Personally, it doesn't bug me really. The graphics are not amazing, yet they are satisfactory. I'd happily give up a bit of graphic quality for added content ex: having kids. Overall I highly recommend this game after playing the first hour. It is much more satisfying than EA's first mobile Sims release. Now if you excuse me, I have to go make a baby with my best friend/boss' wife :D Ah the freedom of the Sims.

17. Lifein2D

Feb 16, 2010
    Student
    Canada
    Game Impressions

Another thing to note is it supports fast app switching.

With the lack of rd and gc support. That's a nice surprise.

18. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Is there some element of freedom and open-endedness in this version? if yes I will buy but I felt the first sims game had no choices or freedom.

19. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    holy crap, just 4 pages of people bitching about retina supported icons!!!?? A waste of my should be studying procrastination time just occurred after reading them all!!:p

20. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Retina display aside, how's the game? From what I read the last two installments were waay too similar. How does the baby and builder dynamic change the game compared to the last few games?