Universal The Simpsons™: Tapped Out (by EA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Feb 21, 2012.

1. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    1st of March
    Officially announced on The Simpsons facebook page

2. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Are there any buildings you can only buy with donuts?

3. Gerbs

Gerbs Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes, there are many buildings that are premium currency only.

4. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Are the prices so high you cant get them without spending real money on donuts?

5. furrot

furrot New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Game Impressions

Did some of you get an update to the game today? I'm getting a message about incompatible versions that's preventing me from visiting towns.

I really like the aesthetics of this game. It would probably be better if it wasn't freemium but it's better then some other ones in the genre. The farm is the only job that can 'expire' so you arn't forced into checking all the time. The rate at which the donuts can be collected outside of purchase is a little abysmal at the moment. I've only ever gotten them to drop when cleaning up the town. Makes it feel somewhat unrewarding for actively playing unlike Tiny Tower.

Tips
    -Tap on Homer while he is playing on his myPad ten times and he will drop ten donuts as a bonus.
    -Avoid the mystery box, it's crap

Questions
    -Anyone gotten anything good from the homer Buddah? I'm wondering how good it's premium items can be.
    -Why does it say some people are playing 'Springfieldville'?

6. Gerbs

Gerbs Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I haven't played enough to say yet, but I'll lay out some of the details.

Premium buildings I can buy:
    Frink's Lab - 150 donuts
    Lard Lad Donuts - 110 donuts
    Volcano Lair - 200 donuts
    Aztec Theatre - 80 donuts
    Duff Brewery - 190 donuts

There are more to be unlocked as the player levels up.

I've got 29 donuts, I think you start with around 10, I received 10 from clicking on Homer a bunch, and completing quests seems to reward 1 donut at the beginning. I have also received a donut from cleaning up waste.

Are there better ways to get donuts? I hope so, because at this rate I don't realize how I'm supposed to earn enough to buy these buildings. Even if I wanted to drop 1.99 on the game, this only gets twelve donuts. Not nearly enough for buidlings. I can get 132 donuts for 9.99 which would let me get Lard Lad Donuts. But... that seems a bit much.

7. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I'm just wondering.. has anyone grown the Triffids in Cletus' farm? I'm scared to try it as the prize is "End of Humanity"! LOL.

8. MacinJosh

MacinJosh Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #48 MacinJosh, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    I'm 2 hours in to find out. Will edit post to let you know :)

Edit: Ok, harvested and apparently we're still here. Bunch of XP. That's all I could see.

9. Sakic10

Sakic10 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    #49 Sakic10, Feb 27, 2012
    So what happened? I was wondering about the same thing...

Also I hope I don't accidentally hit the 90 day one... that would suck!

My only issue with this game is that you barely earn donuts, it's painful. They really want you to buy them, but their value is bad so that's not happening from me anyways.

If your constantly playing the brown houses seem to be the best bang for the buck.

And not being able to access other people's towns is a glitch, I can only access 50% of my friends town's, and there has been no update to the game to prevent that.

Also... Does anyone know how to get the gazebo? I keep seeing it in people's cities but don't see it on the builing list...

10. xbtran

xbtran Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Well, thanks for the update. Think I'll try it out myself. :)

The donuts thing does kind of suck. I was hoping that garbage would reappear often so that we could have a few chances a day of getting some donuts.

My biggest gripe is not being able to do quest while that character is doing a mission. Makes me not want to do the longer missions just in case.

As the gazebo.. not sure. Maybe its a Homer Buddha item? Only thing I can think of if you can't just build it.

11. MacinJosh

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's a Buddha item. Lisa and Skinner go there for the Mensa reading thingies...

12. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have some screenshots of the game here:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.368775506475160&type=1

Have also created a FB group for the game. Please take a look.

Overall i really like the humor of the game, it really reflects the toons to the T. The social aspect is kept to the minimal.

However, i've been hit by the dreaded BUG. Waiting for EA to resolve.

13. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    thank you! only a few more days!

14. Sakic10

Sakic10 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    #54 Sakic10, Feb 27, 2012
    I've cleaned up my entire city and got no donuts. I got screwed. Cleaned probably 50 pieces of garbage

Damn, I need 3 more donuts for a buddha

15. Gerbs

Gerbs Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Bought 2 Homer Buddha's, got 1 apple tree and 1 dumpster. Now I'm sitting on 2 donuts and have no idea how to get more beyond levelling up.

16. MacinJosh

Dec 13, 2008
    Err... buy some? Funny that people are willing to spend tons of money for a couple of hours at the movies or a few bucks on candy but God forbid if they put a few on IAPs in games that could give them hours or even days of entertainment as opposed to just 2 hours at the movies.

17. Gerbs

Gerbs Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm not completely adverse to spending money on IAPs, I'm just still trying to suss out the means by which (if any) the game dispenses premium currency without IAP. I'm into the game enough right now that I am willing to spend a bit, but unfortunately the smallest IAP ($1.99) Doesn't give enough premium currency to buy anything worthwhile.

I'm only level 8 though, perhaps the premium currency rolls out a bit more as you level?

18. Sakic10

Sakic10 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Not that I've found so far, I'm level 11 and you just get one for levelling up.

I am sort of against IAP's, but it's amplified in this game as everything is so expensive. Makes you not want to buy anything.

19. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    In a game like this, I want to buy an IAP because I want to, not because I have to.

That's where Tiny Tower is such a success, and where The Simpsons sounds like it falls short.

20. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    Just booted up the game again, it did an update, and then my game was reset and i had to restart all over again. Glad i havent spent money on donuts.