the sales number is too bad,need some advices

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kongzhong, Jun 22, 2010.

1. muxinzi

muxinzi Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I guess you just have bad lucky, this game should be featured by apple,maybe they just havenot notice it

but,you have updated a lot,does that means apple only feature new game now?

they will ignore update?

if so, you have to focus on new ones

anyway, good lucky

2. kongzhong

kongzhong Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    it's very kind of you to say so,yes, I need more luck

ninja chicken 1.03 is out,ipad version uploaded the same day, still waiting for review:confused:

3. muxinzi

muxinzi Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    congratulations! ipad version of this fun game has been featured

hope can boost your sales:)

4. shelly

shelly Member

Aug 2, 2010
    people do attracted by free, but i think quality is the most important, let's say if your product is for free and of great quality then i helps a lot.
    you can google: site: softwarebbs iPod Transfer

and see how others do

5. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    I've been watching this topic for a while now, so I thought I'd drop by and post now that I finally have an account. Bought this game during one of your earliest $.99 sale, and it's a fun game for sure. It's a real shame it never got too much notice though.

Curiosity question though, how has the ipad version been performing for you? I know it got recognized by apple as "new and noteworthy," but the ipad market is a lot smaller right now.

6. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    thanks, ipad version has been to top 19 while on sale, but drop to 44 now after the price changed back.:(

and yes,ipad market is small right now, even top 19 is not good enough:confused:

if iphone version could be featured, that will be really huge,but right now,I still cannot cover my cost

7. domo607

domo607 New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    #87 domo607, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    How are the sales going now?

I just seen your app in the whats hot section. The ipad version. How many downloads have you got?

I'm really interested in iphone/ipad game development. i want to start my own ios gaming studio. I'm good at marketing and have money for the start up but the thing is I don't know how the gaming industry works. So I'm currently researching right now. The reason i joined this site.

8. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    red flag! It's complex to begin with, and the whole mobile gaming market is whole unique animal. It's a lot of fun, a lot like a rollercoaster (extreme highs and lows), but one thing is for sure - it's exciting to be active in here right now, in any capacity. Those who can manage to maintain some relevance and stick around for awhile, ought to have something to show for their efforts in time.

Feel free to contact me and pick my brain if you like, [email protected] -

9. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    #89 kongzhong, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    I tried ADMOB ,200 $ for nearly 10 sales:(

let my other game free didn't help at all

sent review request to so many sites, no responce,

and BANG! been featured,that's helped a lot

but still cannot cover my cost

because only the ipad version has been featured the users of ipad is still limited

and the sales dropped very fast:(

but it's a place your dream may coming true:cool:

working on the new update of this game now:)

good lucky with your plan

10. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Your game looks really good to me. I think it just needs some marketing.

If you want to bring on a 13th guy maybe I could do some marketing for you?

11. jackgreen

jackgreen Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
    How did that thread affect to Your sales?

12. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    I am listening:) tell me what you need and what you want to do

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Sorry for the long post.

If you still want to make a sorting game like Ninja Chicken, how about one where instead of conveyer belts you have a grid like Azkend with grey/ red/ yellow/ blue chickens in the center. In the corners are the colour sorters:

[​IMG]

Goal here is to link red chickens together by swiping all around to link them in a chain, then pull out that red chain to the red sorter, yellow chickens to yellow sorter, etc. As you pull out one colour chain the grid closes up the empty spaces (or random coloured chickens appear in the empty slots. Maybe the chickens squawk out when you pull the chain. :)

Same sorting game but it looks fresher.

The point is when you look at your next project and come up with a standard mechanic and presentation, stop and look at some of the top Appstore games and see if you can't imagine something fresher.

Wish you all the best in the future.

14. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Arta, I dislike your post because your encouraging them to make clones off other clones/successful apps.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    First question that comes to mind is, why conveyor belts?

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #96 arta, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
    They've already made clones. My point is that they look like old cell phone games from 5 years ago or games from the Appstore's first year. I wanted them to understand that if they decided to go ahead and make another game, to stop and look at the presentation and mechanics.

Look I don't like the idea of simply ripping off other people's games with a sprite change and a extra tilde in the name, but I have no problem with someone taking a mechanic and using it in a new way. That's how we have the line drawing genre don't we? Which is what I suggested with existing examples. I'm not asking them to make Annoyed Birds with the exact same mechanics. I said that it's clear that right now they are most likely to make casual games, so instead of building the games around old presentations like Funny Roll's J2ME isometric block games, they should take a look at modern presentations in 2010 (and added suggestions on how to build on them).

Mega Jump was suggested because it shows how a simple change in presentation can make a game look fresh. Azkend and Fruit Ninja were chosen (a) because at the time those games came out, they were considered innovative but actually used an old mechanic in a new way (b) I showed how you can further use those mechanics in new ways.

It' easy for us to tell them "hey go make a brand new innovative game that everyone will love", but I consider that to be freaking pointless.

17. Nijo

Nijo Well-Known Member

Score:5, Insightful

18. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    Arta,thanks a lot
    jelly roll is a remake of our older game,so is tap&share,so didn't cost too much time,ninja chicken is brand new game,so take more person,more time
    (that why I free those two to promot ninja,not otherwise)
    and to make ninja chicken 1,2,3,we can save a lot of time in art work, but those games are not the same type

ninja chicken 2 is a shooting game:D

and our next game is coming soon, will be finished in newt week, it's nothing to do with ninjas,totally new kind

thanks again for all those great advices,we will think about it carefully

19. jackgreen

jackgreen Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
  20. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    #100 mlfarrell, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    kongzhong I'm really sorry to hear about your luck. I saw your featured app and actually assumed "hey he must have done well". Seems its even harder than it looks. I worked for a month (just me) on my game and haven't had all that many sales either. During my free day however i had 8500 downloads of my game in one day. My lite version which uses the same openfeint id has a couple thousand as well. With that many numbers floating around for my game, I'd be happy to add you to my featured apps if you would do the same in return. I'm sure we could help each other out and gain a little exposure. PM me your openfeint Client Application ID if you are interested and I'll reply with mine.

and good luck!