the sales number is too bad,need some advices

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kongzhong, Jun 22, 2010.

1. kongzhong

kongzhong Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    it's very kind of you, take you time, I will send you a code

thanks a lot

2. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Appstore is merciless nowadays. You need to get lucky or get featured. The good part is, you can shoot up the rankings any time. Even if its a year later. This is because the ranking formula is only good for a short amount of time, then everyone's pretty much on even footing again.

Angry Bird's sales last month have almost zero bearing on it's position today, so not all is lost. You might need more than one game out so they can support each other with a get more games link.

3. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Angry Bird's sales last month don't directly affect it's current ranking, but the already-established chart position of it and other ranked apps give any entrenched app a huge advantage over newer apps struggling to make the jump from "new release" to a top list, particularly given the fact that there are new iPhone owners every day - guess what apps they'll stumble across first?

As for Ninja Chicken, sadly, releasing an update for an unranked app these days is unlikely to have any effect on sales, no matter how good that update is.

4. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    yeah,sadly,I have to free one of my game to promot ninja chicken

Jelly Roll FREE to promot Ninja Chicken and Tap&Share

5. baldong

baldong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    good luck brother~

6. #66 LostLegend, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    Oh haha! I'm enjoying Jellyroll (despite getting suck on 1-5!)
    The comedic graphics are a nice touch. It has that sort of retro feel to it. I'll look into Ninja Chicken (which I suggest you put an advert in this game for but don't make it so it covers up the screen. Have a 'more games' link!)

Edit: May I suggest a couple of video improvements? Nothing wrong with it but just to make it more eye-catching?
    Edit2: Oh, and screenshots, I know how you can improve them!

7. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    please , I'd love to hear suggestions about anything

8. #68 LostLegend, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    All right then!

Game screenshots: Make sure they look action-packed and uniform at the same time. By this, I mean have the same border around them. I notice in one o your screenshots, there is a white border an in another, a sort of wooden border theme. However, the rest are plain. If you want to make them look better, give them all the same border OR have different ones for each screen.
    Some good screenshot borders could be like kunais, shurikens around the edge. Ninja weapons.

As for making the screenshots look better, show some action-packed scenes. For example (I don't know if you can do this in the game) you could use multiple fingers to drag more chickens to their targets at once. Have more animations at once.
    For the second sreenshot, highlight game modes (you have done this, but it probably needs a better border)
    For the third screenshot, I like how you've shown the two player thing. I think people like these screenshots. However, if you can show more action at once...?
    The rest are fine.

Anyway, onto the video. I noticed in a few frames the mouse cursor is still there. Try and find a really good mouse cursor that would work if it has to be there (such as a Kunai).
    In the beginning of your video, I liked what you did with the animations. However, I disn't see this repeated later in the video. Perhaps add some flashy video effects such as shaking the screen slightly when you fail/pass a level?
    More animations throughout (They don't have to be big ones at all) can really spice up a video and lead everyone to think there's more than what there currently is.
    Heck, Doodle Jump uses different skins. From the screenshots, it looks like multiple levels.
    Edit3: Fruit Ninja is a perfect example of this!

All right?

Edit: I'd know about visuals because I have a forum and I have to make it look great to get people to join! (I did Art too)
    Advertising - Marketing. I have some brilliant ideas for this but what's your budget here?

9. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    thanks a lot,I will try my best to do the screenshot and vedio

Advertising - Marketing? I do have little budget,but as far as I know,I cannot found the right place to do so,any suggestion about that?

10. Kay.
    Sure, I know of other advert methods -
    buses (Those banners on the side)
    billboards in the street around gaming shops, and bus stops,
    twitter,
    have a facebook group,

Toucharcade thread (if none exists yet. If there is one, bump it up!)
    have a blimp with one of those banners that flies at the back (LOL joking unless you have that much budget!),
    a visit to the local club to show off your game (I know gaming clubs exist),
    create a few (Trial) leaflets with lots of game screenshots - ask if you can put them in wi-fi hotspot places (like cafes or anywhere you can find that causal gamers may go to. The thing is casual gamers often have what we call 'a life' and are thus likely to go to the normal places.)

*phew*

Need any more ideas?

11. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    thanks,just uploaded ipad version

I did have a TA thread here,and twitter,but not that helpful

I want to find some nice site to buy ads, if you can recommand some, that will be grateful

12. TA do these banner ads around posts and the main page.

Hmm, I don't know of many ipod advertising websites myself (I know of forum advertising ones) but I suppose the major gaming websites are good places.
    Gamespot/Gamefaqs, TA, Pocket Gamer, IGN, ilounge...

(set up a facebook group by the way)

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Be warned that buying web banner ads weeks after your game has already been released is unlikely to boost sales sufficiently to recover the advertising costs. There have been many developers posting here that have noted that they saw no change in sales after running web banner ads. All the advertising ended up doing was adding to their unrecovered costs.

In my opinion, the only ad campaigns that are worth considering are ones that have a good chance at pushing your app into a US top list. The best timing for this is the same week as the actual release of the game. And it's only possible if your game has appeal with the US casual gaming market. I don't know if even the best executed chicken sorting game could pull it off.

14. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    thanks,one of my friend try web ads , only ten sales a day, I must do something to promot my game right? but how:confused:

15. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I think you've done a good job here on Touch Arcade forums. But trying to salvage Ninja Chicken sales may be mission impossible.

It is hard to predict what will take off. As an example, consider the following four games:

1. a faithful unofficial remake of the popular arcade game, Kung Fu Master (aka Spartan X)
    2. a faithful unofficial remake of the popular arcade game, Punchout
    3. a casual action game, Angry Vicky Viper, with cute animations and original gameplay mechanic
    4. yet another solitaire card game

Now, which would you expect to sell best?

(1) (KarateFighter) made enough to cover its artwork development cost, but not much more
    (2) (Pocket Boxing) has not yet made back enough to cover its artwork development cost
    (3) (Angry Viper Vicky) is essentially invisible.
    (4) (CardShark) has done surprisingly well, despite the card games category being so crowded.

In my opinion, I think your efforts may be better spent focusing on a new app. You could even use the existing Ninja Chicken characters, animations, and sounds to save some money, and do some cross-promotion in your new games to give Ninja Chicken more visibility. Just be careful against throwing good money after bad.

Maybe Apple will someday do a "best chicken games" feature.

16. Searched Ninja Chicken on the app store and went to the screenshots - Wow. That is such an improvement. You are emphasising the content you get for 59p, the modes, the graphics, you've made it look more uniform. That's very good! I mean, even though it's not the norm to include the menu screen, it still looks like it offers a lot of content - VS, single player, extra...
    Awesome.

17. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    thanks, guys,just finished 1.03 update of ninja chicken

and working on ninja chicken 2 now,a shooting game,hope can be finished in one month

also ninja chicken 3 ,a puzzle game(maybe),still under designing

18. What's in 1.0.3?

Support your older games as newer ones get released - keep up with marketing fo'sho!

Ask community wht they want for NC3?

19. kongzhong

Jun 3, 2010
    not big change in 1.03,just fixed some minor bugs

20. All right, good luck with all 3 NC's!