Universal The Sailors Dream (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 5, 2014.

1. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Yeah almost verging on a timer like you'd see in a Free to play game... Certainly not Simogos best, still very nice experience, but I hope their next game is more like year walk with some proper gameplay.

2. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    The story is given to you mostly up front, but to get the whole thing you have to come back at different times and each day of the week. I wish there was something more to come back for each day, but in the end it's a pretty great experience. I mean, you get a nice story that you piece together via clues, songs, and transmissions, a beautiful environment to chill out in with fantastic ambiance, and seven well-made musical tracks.

For $4, you get an interactive concept album. That's mind blowing.

3. smsgrafica

smsgrafica Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I love this game. My only complaint is
    that you can't choose to replay the radio transmissions whenever you want, even after you already heard them...

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I agree.
    They should make it so that you can tap the dots around the clock to re-listen to the messages at any time, once they have been unlocked.

5. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved the experience, but if have to admit the story feels half finished. What an intriguing concept. We've been thrown into a great world, but are left with more questions than answers.

The main storyline isn't even explained.
    obviously the girl burned the house down....but we aren't given anything to really dig into. We aren't given a real answer as to why.

6. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok here I go..... Finally went for it with new iPad. Seems like if I just slow down & enjoy it for what it is I'll have a great experience.

7. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Do simogo apps ever go on sale? :)

8. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    I don't think so, their games have stayed at premium prices all this time.

9. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    #109 Infinity89, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  10. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
  11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #111 coolpepper43, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    I just completed this. For a "game" that is all about story the ending is a pretty big disappointment. There is not any real conclusion at all. I like that you can sort of piece some kind of story together from the different elements but it seems incomplete. Of course it's well made like everything Simogo does but this is a let down from my standards from them. I was hoping for a good ending like in Year walk and device 6. This definitely went out with the sizzle rather than a bang.
    Year Walk > Device 6 > Sailor's Dream

Edit, now that I'm thinking about it again maybe I'm not understanding something. Could someone please explain the last part when you unlock the final tiny island?

12. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I just finished this yesterday, and was really swept away by the story and emotions it drew out of me. Are you talking about the final tiny island after you've found all of the daily songs and hourly radio broadcasts?

And personally, this story and setting struck home for me more than Device 6 and even a little more than Year Walk. I love how they are stretching the boundaries of story telling and are brave enough to not just try and appease an audience, but are actively telling new stories in new ways. I grew up going to the shores of a large lake and sometimes riding on boats/ships, and this setting really made me feel at home.

Also, have you listened to the companion podcast to this game? Should be on iTunes Podcasts.

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes, the final tiny island. I have not yet listened to the podcasts yet. I hope I can listen to them sometime this week. I didn't do the printer thing. I don't know what you actually get from that. Also I didn't read all of the slooooowly flowing words in the first island. I was trying to read it all but it seemed it would take like 15 minutes because the words scroll so slowly. I wonder if those were really important for the story.
    Everything in this game is super polished but I feel I might be missing something.

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    You see what the little girl from the story is up to in the present: living in a different country and reminiscing through the part of the memories that you just explored.

I find the story to not have a lot of action or puzzlement, so much as evoking emotions and causing me to reflect on love, life, anger, peace, hope, joy, pain, loss, etc. It definitely felt like there was less mystery and puzzles, and more emotional depth than I thought would be there.

15. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks, for clarifying who it was in the end. It makes a little more sense now. My favorite part of the game were the radio transmissions. The voice actor was really good and I could feel his loneliness. However, I don't really have a connection to the sea. So I couldn't fully relate.

16. dancingcrane

dancingcrane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2016
    #116 dancingcrane, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Discovering this was a joy. I'm a story person. After playing games for 40 years, I've done all kinds, and sometimes I don't want gameplay. Sometimes I'll buy a game to support it, and then end up watching a playthrough to get the story because I don't have time for more. So a game that's not a "game" is just what I need. Emotion, depth and no puzzles, grinding etc.

Edit: and on sale too! I'm actually glad I bought it full price, though, because gems like this are just so rare. Recommendations please!