Universal The Sailors Dream (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 5, 2014.

1. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    It depends on how much of an impairment you have regarding how much of The Sailor's Dream you would lose. A fair amount of the atmosphere is tied up in the audio, but, from what I recall, relatively little of the story, beyond some nice tiny fragments here and there. For the most part, this is a 'game' to be read, and those songs I've so far found all have the text on the screen as well.

There are apps for OS X and Windows that enable you to print to a PDF on your computer rather to a traditional paper printer. I've not tried any with The Sailor's Dream, but there's no reason to suppose they wouldn't work. (Printopia is the Mac app I've used in the past, and it has a free trial; on Windows, Presto is an app that I tried, albeit about 18 months ago, so I've no idea whether it's still any good.)

2. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Sure, it i more of an experience than a game, but it is amazing none the less. I actually like it more than Device 6 (just because I value plot and storytrlling mire than gameplay, especially with Simogo, and Device 6 was genious in the way of gameplay, but the story I found meaningless and preductable). And it was quite some time since I last played a game with good writing. Amazing - 5/5.

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Does it mean that part of the content I can only access by printing?

4. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Yes.

Blimey. I thought the D6 story was inventive, multilayered, unorthodox and intriguing. Horses for courses, I guess.

5. Rin1221

Rin1221 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Fort Collins
    This game is definitely something different! and i love it. Very inspirational :)

6. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #86 Quazonk, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    Ugh, that's a horrible design choice. Doesn't matter what they're going for as far as atmosphere in a game. Requiring things outside the game and the platform you're playing it on to complete the game is an awful idea, full stop.

After playing this a little more, there's one thing that I think needs to be said, and I hope Simogo reads this: These are games about immersion. Making them confusing at times, and easy to get stuck on/lost in, is not only very frustrating and un-fun, but it also makes many players (elite gamers who scoff at dummies like me, who get stuck in games aside) resort to Google or some other app-closing, immersion-shattering means to find out how to further progress in the game. Sailor's Dream is the 3rd Simigo game of it's "type". I just wish at least one of them didn't have this element of frustration inherent to it because I love so many aspects of the games and their designs. It only makes it all the more disappointing when you have to either quit the game or go looking for a wiki/walkthrough to complete it. I thought A Sailor's Dream would be fairly "safe" in this regard since it seems like more of an experience than a game...and yet here I am, stuck again :/

7. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This is one of worst ideas I have ever seen. I'm really disappointed with this... Interactive illustrated book. This is so much a book you need a printer to have access to the entire content.

8. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I got Printopia working....thanks for the tip. Guess I'll be printing a bunch of stuff this weekend.

9. Cadenza

Cadenza Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2013
    This is the type of games that both iOS and consoles need. Art, not trash with recycled code + recycled models + recycled ideas + recycled names only enhanced through eye-candy graphic technology.

10. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    #90 putermcgee, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Removed the files by request.

11. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thank you so much for that!

12. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #92 Lazer Kat, Nov 8, 2014
    Can you pm me them?

Anyway...this game is a true 5-Star experience, IMO. I can't help but feel like the reviews it's getting are unfairly comparing it to Simogo's two previous games. If this was released by an unknown studio the same people, I suspect, would be raving about the 5-Star experience.

Anyway. I love it. I'm so surprised this didn't get the Editor's choice. Apple has always went out of there way to support Simogo. I'm ecstatic it got TA's GOTW. While it may not even be my choice for gotw, it is simply amazing art and needs to be experienced.

13. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    But really there's nothing to 'complete'. You can get to the 'end' (as much as there is one) without ever printing anything. I just saw this feature as a nice experiment in an experimental app, perfectly suiting its aim: "Explore an ocean dream world, in which time passes even when you are not there, visit forgotten islands and piece together memories – some even existing beyond the screen of your device."

14. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    You can get to the end sure; but the experience is set up in a way that will slowly unfold the story through the three storylines. The pictures hint at the 4th character of the dream and, though not essential for understanding the story, are a very important part of the overall narrative. Let's put it like this, because I don't want to sound too negative (I adore the game): seeing the drawings gives a deeper look at the nature of the dream.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    So...I fully completed the game and got out my self imposed media blackout (fearing spoilers).

I'm pretty amazed by some comments, I bet many didn't really fully complete the game (like the ones that 'completed' Year Walk without even using the companion app).

Amazing experience, a worthy conclusion of the ideal Simogo trilogy.
    Few GAMES got me involved like this one.
    Simogo are truly the masters of story telling.

This game will resonate with me for days...maybe even more than did Year Walk and Device 6.
    I loved how in Sailor's Dream you can find refined elements of both.

Can't already wait for next Simogo game, hoping it will be a similar experience (I love Beat Sneak Bandit too, but I hope they will stick to their original and less conventional creations).

A must have suited to everyone that like engaging and deep stories.

16. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    #96 AlexsIpad, Nov 8, 2014
    So at what point does the game end? I got to the Lily Christine and I can't tell what to do next? Do I just have to wait a week for each song? Have to say it's not got the brilliance of year walk and device 6...
    What's the point of the transmission homologue? I'm so confused...
    The music is brilliant but other than that, all I've done is go in some buildings and move around a few meaningless objects, and then it gives me a cryptic message before I go to another island and the process is repeated? am I missing something? What is 'the flames'? have I finished the story or not because it took me about 1 hour to go into each island and much seems incomplete yet there's nothing more I can do really... The story isn't exactly interesting I've already forgotten what happened, if anything.

17. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Not sure on this one. I installed & deleted Device 6 six times on my device (pun fully intended) as I could just not get into it despite desperately wanting to. This seems to be more of the same but not? All of their "games" are georgous & so creative. I'm sure I'll try it eventually but am being cautious for once.

18. chaniaweb

chaniaweb Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    If you got to the Lily Christine, then its not over yet. It already says there are still secrets that need to be told before she can awake from her slumber. And gives hints on how to do that.

19. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Do I need to collect all the songs for the 7 songs cottage? I picked up on that but I only get 1 song each day it seems for no reason which means I need to wait an entire week to get them all?

20. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes you need the 7 songs to see the end of the storY. I was too impatient to wait and just changed the date on my ipad. I find this kind of gameplay gimmick highly irritating in principle, but there is a thematic reason to it here.