Universal The Sailors Dream (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    OMG first simogo game to get 4 star :(

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Deservedly so, in my opinion.

Anybody else find the parts of the maps that really....aren't....anything, other than some dots and sound effects that chain two other parts together kind of weird? "Forgotten Hallway"? , "trail of red dots on a black background and the faint sound of creaking stairs" What's up with that?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I still gave the game 5-stars despite being more of an interactive story. The presentation and the writing is still top notch to me, to the point where more gameplay isnt necessary for me to enjoy it.

In a gaming platform full of frantic twitch-reflex titles, and those others that put ultra hard games in your face, The Sailor's Dream is one of the few mind-massage titles that's become one of my favorites. Like the maryjane among the cesspool of x, coke and other newfound high.

4. elvis

elvis New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Simogo are one of the best if not the best mobile devs in the world.Instabuy.

5. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Played for about 15 minutes and I feel disappointed. It looks wonderful and sounds great, but I can't consider it a game. Year Walk was a game with a lot of book elements, Device 6 was a book with game elements (puzzles) and Sailor's Dream is a interactive illustrated book or something like that. Simogo went too far in that direction. They need to get back to making games.

Maybe I'll change my mind after playing further. So far is 4/5 as an experience, but as a game I couldn't even qualify it, so I would give it an overall 3/5. :(

6. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #46 Lazer Kat, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    This is the perfect Simogo title for me (and I suspect a decent percentage of their fans).
    I absolutely loved Year Walk and Device 6, but I wasn't a big fan of that style of puzzle. To me, it felt like the story (which was definitely the best part of the games and by most accounts the star of the show) was blocked by puzzles which seemed to be designed to just stop the players progression. Each of those games were still solid 9.5/10s, and they are two of the absolute best games the platform offers...
    ...but I admit that I had to use Google to finish each of those games, which removed me from the experience, and ruined the stories immersion.

I welcome the idea of a Simogo experience that is not being blocked by puzzles, and must admit this is the biggest selling point for me (aside from the word "Simogo").

I may be the minority here on TA, but I suspect the game's general audience will appreciate this. I really hope the game isn't flooded with 1-Star reviews from 12 year olds saying "this isn't even a F%#ing game. I thought it was a FPS!".

I can't wait to get all wrapped up in another Simogo tale.

7. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'll admit that as a fan of gamebooks, I was pretty interested, but there are very few reviews in here that give the game a critical look; a lot of posts are just people talking about how artsy-fartsy masterworks Simogo games always are are and how this is an instabuy, rather than what seem to be pretty disappointing flaws.

I was a huge fan of Device 6, but this seems lacking, if the TA and few reviews in the thread are to be believed.

8. jhoughto123

jhoughto123 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I'm actually really digging this so far. It definitely didn't hook me as quickly as Year Walk or Device 6, but after reading through the texts I'm really curious about unravelling certain events in the game and the overall art style is really mice. The Radio Broadcasts at every hour and (what i pressume) bottles with songs every day are also really cool and add in a bit more emotion. I could be wrong too but I'm pretty sure you have to wait a week until more of the story unlocks which I could see people looking down on but i don't mind, reminds me of Superbrothers

9. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    So they said that this is the end of their second game design trilogy. Bumpy Road, Beat Sneak Bandit, and Kosmo Spin represented their first, offered a similar casual experience, and were all tied together in a way.
    Year Walk, Device 6, and now The Sailor's Dream all represent their second game-design trilogy.
    Now that this one is all wrapped up, I am very excited to see where they go with their next project.
    I think this is the rare exception where they were actually rewarded financially for developing a more mature experience than their first trifecta's casual approach. I loved all 3 of their casual games as well, so I am excited for whatever they offer us next.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I won't follow the thread because I do not want to know ANYTHING about the game before I complete it (I played just for 20 minutes and I'm already sparkling with the Simogo magic).

But be sure to use that button you see under the texts.

GENIUS.

It actually EXPANDS the storytelling, like the Year Walk companion app in a sort of way.

Few devs in the world can express like Simogo, usinge the devices and the world around so well.

Brilliant.

Back dreaming.

11. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Crashes every time I try to open it on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1. Tried hard reboot and removing it and re installing it.

12. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I wish listed this after reading a friends' comment in another thread. Made me reconsider an instant purchase. I need to finish Year Walk and Device 6 first. In reality I know I'll buy this before both of the other two are completed, simply to support Simogo (and I just can't get over how amazingly beautiful their style is).

13. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    This is my exact view of the ga-...app as well, perfectly-worded.

14. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    I think waiting and reconsidering disqualifies it from being considered an "instant purchase" for you #

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ok... At this point, it's either im stuck, or im done.

Has anyone figured out what to do right after completing "the boat with the name on it?"

Coz if that's the end, that's pretty short, and with how im still wanting more of the story, is pretty disappointing.

16. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Nah I'm stuck there as well... Did you "unlock" all of the messages at the "radio place" ? I'm trying to unlock them all but it will take some time without playing with the device's internal clock, apparently there's also more bottles appearing each day in the ocean... I don't know if there's more it besides what I listed.

17. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    What if you don't have a Bluetooth printer. Can someone post the printouts or link to them?

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup.. Exactly the saem spot where im at.

Im guessing more locations will open up once we hear more of the radio and gather more bottles, but waiting for it each day is a weak implementation if the rest of the game's pretty short.

19. shdwstar2417

shdwstar2417 Member

May 16, 2012
    Nice story and okay ending however brief it was .

20. chaniaweb

chaniaweb Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    My guess is also that you have to proceed with the game at a different time of day.

Its been hinted at. Cant say more because I dont know how the spoiler tags work on the mobile version of toucharcade.

Just go back to the boat with the name on it and read the lines carefully when you return to the screen with the ocean.