The rocket!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Cristian84, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Cristian84

Cristian84 New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Developer
    IN Helsinki Finland
    Hi everyone! :)
    I´m a poor developer desperate to seek out advice from experienced gamers like you. I have an idea of a mobile game and my programmer is almost finished with it. The general IDEA:

I´ts a hybrid between "fruit ninja" and classic arcade starfighter games. The main point is that you CANNOT move the rocket or shoot with it. You just destroy obstacles with your finger (asteroids, comets etc.). Here is a pic what i did when i got the idea.
    Guys tell me what you think!
    MUCH APPRECIATED

Attached Files:

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry to rain on your parade but i dont think its a good idea. So you just tap any asteroids in front of your rocket ? Just doesnt seem that appealing. Roll back 4 years and it might have done well.

A better game would be to move the rocket to avoid the asteroids and other stuff but even then that sounds quite dull. But just to tap anything in front of your rocket just doesnt seem too exciting.

Look at all the games you have on your device, would you honestly play this a lot ?

3. Cristian84

Cristian84 New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Developer
    IN Helsinki Finland
    Thanks for the rain dude :) ! I really appreciate this feedback! I think the answer to make it more appealing is :

a. Make the obstacle destroying visually VERY pleasurable and beautiful.
    B. Make it SUPER HARD. So the appeal would also be wanting to succeed.
    Any thoughts on that?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well done for taking it well. Must be hard to hear anything negative, just personally i wouldnt want you spending months and months creating an app and then once its out you're sad as it doesnt have many downloads.

I'm not into them but i know a lot of people do seem to like the 'rock hard' type of games. A variety of obstacles falling down could be good but a wide variety, eg some are powerups some arent etc and just normal asteroids.

Look at the game Arkanoid, that took a very basic bat n ball Pong style game and revamped it with lots of different powerups.

Try to look at 'similar' games to your idea and think of how you can improve/revamp that formula. Its like Flappy Bird clones, theyre all the same with a different coat of paint, try and think how your game can be slightly different to other similar games. Do a bit of research, download a few games which are like your idea and try and improve on it

5. Cristian84

Cristian84 New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Developer
    IN Helsinki Finland
    You are absolutely right! It´s not that hard because every feedback is GOLD. I have to take it as a humble developer learning and moving forward for that is the only way to succeed.
    That i have tried. I just don't seem to find any game that´s similar to this. They all have the ability to move the rocket or shoot with it. I want this to be a REFLEX game with fast obstacles. Not a "shoot and destroy".