The reason games go viral

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NelsonH, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I always see people saying that PewDiePie was the reason Flappy Bird became popular, but that just isn't true. By the time he made his first video of the game on January 27th 2014, Flappy Bird was already #1. It first hit #1 on January 17th and had been slowly rising as far back as October 31st 2013. Here's the lifetime rankings from AppAnnie.

[​IMG]

So I'm sure PewDiePie helped in spreading the game to even more people and maintaining its spot at the top, but it wasn't the thing that caused it to get up there. Whatever that was nobody really knows for sure. A lot of people accused them of having paid installs, but I personally believe it was just good old fashioned word of mouth on schoolyards, and that's not something you can actively duplicate.

2. NelsonH

NelsonH Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Game Developer
    US
    Thanks!!! I appreciate it! :D

3. NelsonH

NelsonH Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Game Developer
    US

Wow, that's interesting. Now it really makes me wonder what triggered the spike in the first place.

4. iamagame

iamagame Active Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Flappy bird is a very exceptional case.
    It is more general case that Google/Apple market guys look at a game among a bunch of games by chance, like it and then make it featured.