iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ran Tan Waltz

Ran Tan Waltz Member

Feb 27, 2009
    This game is absolutely fantastic! I LOVE it! It's very much like old skool Eye of the Beholder or Oblivion. Does anyone know how to get rid of warts? I caught them of a prostitute in the Vastares. What does warts actually do?

Also, I've done so many side quests that I'm slightly lost as to my main aim - could someone remind me?

Finally - can you lie effectively in every situation with enough persuation? I've left the recrtuiter boy quest in limbo because the recruiter keeps spotting my lie

Is there a full walkthrough anywhere yet?

2. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I hear ya ---the description of your quest does not change when you complete a bit of it and you cant abandone them and start again.

I had to restart the game cause I dressed up the little girl as a boy and my fame went down cause I "LIED" to the recruter

It would be sooo nice to have your quest status updated so you knwo how far you are in a quest --- start ( this is what you do) ---middle ---- this is what you have dont and this is what you have to do ---and end ---yeah you did it ---you did X for Y and got Z

A quest arrow is always nice --pick a quest and it reminds you where you have to go

3. pennydreadful

pennydreadful Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    So you picked up a little more than you bargained for in the brothel in Vastares? Go see the local Alchemist (the shop where you buy potions) and purchase a cure for Warrt disease. If you don't get that infection taken care of, your strength is decreased by five points, making you very vulnerable to attack by enemies.

Also, just like in real life...persuasion is a very *helpful* skill to have. Not only will you be able to lie convincingly, you'll also be able to "make friends and influence people." ; You can trick the recruiter if your persuade skill is high enough.

To find a list of all the active and solved quests...click on your character's avatar (near the controls.) In the menu, there should be a dark gray circle icon...click that to bring up your quest list.

I found a helpful site for the Quest (although the forum may not be currently active, there is a wealth of great information....so you could use the search function):
    http://www.pdaground.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40
    Earlier in this thread, someone posted another link to a different site:
    http://catacomber.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26&func=showcat&catid=3
    You can also download the offical manual for the game at Redshift's website:
    http://www.redshift.hu/

I have to agree with you, this game is utterly amazing. I've never played an RPG before, but this game has me hooked. The depth of the storyline and the fantastic writing ensures that the Quest is unbelieveably addictive!

4. Ecko7123

Ecko7123 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    im still have problems with the walls in the cemetery what weapon do i use to collapse the tunnel ?

5. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    When the message pop up press ok,then one step back and attack with any weapon.

6. Ecko7123

Jan 28, 2009
  7. Diggity Dan

Diggity Dan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ninja (..no really I swear)
    [480] :: AZ
    So I picked up The Quest last weekend and haven't had much time to get into it... until yesterday. Since then I haven't been able to put it down! I was up past 3 AM last night playing it even though I had to get up early. I'm not a morning person.. waking up today was not fun :( But at least I was able to continue my Quest while I painfully waited my turn at the DMV.

If you are a RPG fan this is the fix you've been waiting for! (well.. I am still waiting for a "Diablo" style clone to hit the appstore. But that's another story) Trust me, you won't be sorry you bought it. My only regret so far is that I didn't start this game sooner lol..

I know there have been some comments about the graphics. But, as it's been said before, the screen shots do not do the game justice. The game world in motion is... dare I say, pretty? (I know I know /flameon) Alright, it's not pushing the iPhone to its limit. But the art style does fit the game very well and I like it! The transition between day/night, the various weather effects, and other little details help you get lost in the world. Hardcore gamers know it's not the graphics that make the game.. It's the story, content and gameplay :D And this game seems to have character development and depth most of us want in a RPG.

Anyways, one of the main reasons for this post was to share a website I came across. I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet. Check out http://www.thequesthints.de/ for a walkthrough, maps, trainers, items, skills, and more.. I find it easier to use then searching through the forums that have been posted if you need help.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more from Redshift! Hopefully some exclusive titles made just for the iPhone (hint hint Sylon ;)).. But from what I’ve played of The Quest so far I will be more then happy with some revamped ports! :)

8. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I certainly agree that gameplay takes priority over graphics; although beautiful graphics can enchant your gaming experience, they are pretty useless on their own. I still think the description should focus on the depth of the game, rather than opening with a description of the games stunning graphics. Just as I wouldn't expect hero of sparta's description's opening line to be about the fantastic depth/story, I think quest is highlighting the wrong element. Don't get me wrong; the graphics are nice in an old school kinda way, and given the scope of the game, it would be unrealistic to expect full 3d polygons/true 3d. The game already lags a little as it is. But I am a little baffled why the description immediately focuses on selling the game as being graphically stunning. I guess it's subjective, but it surely can't be considered 'stunning' compared to other titles available.
    Anyway, I just finished the game. It's a great little rpg.

9. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Probably because the game originally came out several years ago for older generation palm pilots and other cell phones. The graphics were stunning and way better than the norm for mobile games when it came out. They probably just cut and paste their marketing text.

For what it's worth, I still think it's a very pretty game and the graphics are just about perfect for the iPhone in my opinion. As you mentioned above, it just slightly lags now, and it doesn't tax the battery at all. Really nice balance.

10. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Yep, BadYeti just said it right: we didn't really care about the current 'marketing text' (well, I'm not really a marketing type of person), we just did a copy+paste from the old one. And this game looked really 'stunning' back in the old palm days.
    But oh, come on! The graphics are not that bad even on the iPhone! : ) OK, it could have more frames for the monster animations, or we could put in some 3D lighting effects - I can promise we'll do more next time but now we simply didn't have the time for that. We were almost like a dead gamemaking company, without any real income, this iPhone-porting was our last effort to keep us alive. (That's why I can understand the debate in the other forum here about the 'should I buy games above 1 usd price or not' theme.)

Diggity Dan: currently we're working on a new version and on the official expansion pack of the game. It's a huge one. And after that... we'll see. We still have plans for a total remake of Legacy (our previous, party-based RPG) and for a port of Dungeoned (making this little fun game to a cool multiplayer one), and for a totally new fantasy card game (based on the one which you can find in The Quest).
    Other big projects will happen later, when we'll have (if we'll have) time and money for developing a serious game again in 12-18 months in a full-time job, just like we did with The Quest some years ago.

Ran Tan Waltz: oh yes, there are a Main Storyline too. : ) In the first village there is nothing to do with it, it's just about getting some experience in the world - later, in the first big city, Vastares, you'll find the Thieves' Guild which will be important during the main mission, but the most important is to reach the third town, Prhyn, near there lives the Mysterious Man in his tower - he will be the key for all what you need. From that point you will know what to do, where to go.
    But until that just walk around, have fun, visit some brothels : ), play cards, be a criminal - do whatever you wanna do.

11. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    hmm... i just killed the ghoul, how do i collapse the tunnel?

12. dominator

dominator Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    OHH i have encountered a ghoul in abondoned mines, but it was so powerfull, i'm at level 10 and it trow red skull on me and i lost the half of my life at each time :(
    I don't know how to pass this, maybe here is a treasure after this goul

jupiter21: I used burning hand spell to colapse tunel and rock :D

13. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    #173 jupiter21, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Ok. is there any way to do it without burning hand? or where can i find a book of it.

also, i bought recall, now how do i get mark...

14. Ran Tan Waltz

Ran Tan Waltz Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Nice to meet a like minded soul. This game is fab! Apparently the girl dressed as boy is STILL trailing me round - waiting for better persuation before I go back to the recruiter. Re missions - that is my only gripe - you sometimes have to do several things per mission, but it doesn't update you as to which stage you are on or the details (eg, this person is in the port area, etc), so (if your memory is rubbish or your a casual player) you have to write things down. I'm slightly lost at the moment with the murder/inhertance of nobleman task? I've visited the jeweler, suspect (who likes the night), delivered the later and spoken to the nobleman and duaughter. The suspects door is locked and no one else is revealing anything - what next? Also, the buried treasure - will that make me a criminal? What will happen if I spend the money and where is the brother? I foget. Re warts - have found cure, but alchemy isn't high enough to make it, so won't visit the unlucky lady until it is ; D

15. Ecko7123

Jan 28, 2009
    to collapse tunnel you must step on the bubble till you see the message press okay then step back and attack.

Im in the forest of the brave (i think thats the name) and i cant make it through cause dwarfs (i can kill them) but there is a insanely hard shaman that attacks me and kills me on the spot, im level 7 so far.

16. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    #176 BadSanta, Feb 28, 2009
    At least 3d lighting effects (also for spell) could be added with a future update,whether sales will increase :)

17. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #177 writingsama, Feb 28, 2009
    I love the quest! it has consumed my life!

I just wish alchemy was less of an annoying pain. I'm playing a mage and I need full restore mana's like 30x per dungeon so the only way to afford is to make and that is annoying due to the interface...if there was a chest I could store superfluous ingredients in it'd be nice! i.e. so I only kept "restores mana" ones...

that said, life as a mage is much better than average for this type of game. of course I dump everything into attack magic so I'm kind of a heavy hitter but still...level 12 with 107 attack magic lol...I like it more than my thief by far :p

in case you're curious I just cleaned out the witch queen, 2/3 of silver mountain, and am doing stuff around phryn at this level. even though I have the cyclops sword I can't damage the cyclops king though! frustrating!

18. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008

****SPOILER*****
    It is the jewler...you need high persuade...my thief had her perks...sigh...I haven't finished it with my mage yet, can't figure out how, can't remember where the chest was...some path in some woods...

there is usually a secondary way, i.e. a random person that will give you the clue you need to complete if you don't have say high enough persuade...
    ***END SPOILER***

19. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    you are probably a race with vulnerability to magic...I would suggest making/buying resist magic potions/spells/staffs for exploring those areas...

I find a straight mage is the best class so far, I'm level 12 around phryn already...3/4 of the game...kicking *** and taking names!

20. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Was on the fence, bought it and.....

LOVE IT!! This game is amazing and after spending about 3 days playing I can tell that I'll be hooked for a while! :D