iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008

Haha, it's good to see a dev come in and inform the ungrateful that they are in fact paying very little for some apps.

Nope, the graphics aren't PS3, high def masterpieces, but given what it is, I think they look alright. The people aren't that pretty, but the enviroment looks pretty good I think!

I haven't gotten that far into it, but it seems pretty good so far! I'm not a big fan of those old-school RPGs (I like Morrowind, I'm sorry!) but I will be playing this. Good work!

2. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Isilel: yes, it's too complex and free form, we can't just cut a part of it - at least not in the way we did it on the PDA market where we simply put in a 'line' for a limit so you couldn't go further on the land in the demo version. Apple doesn't let us to put limits in a game like that. Of course if we'll see a massive need for a demo we'll try to find another way to make it.

BTW, we'll have mission packs for the game too, but it also needs some brainstorming because usually you can't just add expansions to an iPhone game.

Maeks: yep, I'm just a person like anybody else with own feelings. Fortunately I don't have to be so 'official' like Chillingo is. : )
    The people in the game are animated sprites, not full 3D polygons, so yes, they can seem a little 'oldschool'.
    As for Morrowind, I heard many times that this game (at least its system) is similar to Morrowind so it should be OK for you too. : )

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #83 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    Alright, Sylon/Redshift, I've been watching this thread and now I am impressed with your mindframe concerning feedback and criticism. I can't guarantee that I will love the game, but I also think that $5.99 is a small price to a consumer such as myself. Especially small considering the hard work that you say went into uppdting this for the Appstore release.

I'm downloading now, and thank you for becoming active on TouchArcade I look forward to sharing my feedback with you after I've played awhile

Cheers,
    Richard

4. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    well i think it looks really good :p

my only real complaint is it's hard to move around...

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Sorry for nagging, but if you guys think that making a demo is too much work (which is a mistake, IMHO), how about some footage of a person actually playing on the iTouch, so that we'd get some idea re: controls?
    Throw us undecided folks a bone, please!

6. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    If it drops down by 2$ I'll buy 4 sure

7. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    In my humble opinion this is the best RPG game for the iPhone that was released to date (even if it is only a port from the Pocket PC version). The controls are quite responsive and gestures are a very nice addition to the control scheme. The game just feels *right* and if one was a fan of games like eye of beholder or dungeon master then I can highly recommend the Quest to you. I hope devs will port also the Legacy to iPhone/iPod touch (with all the exansion packs) as their games just rocks.

Regards,
    f.

8. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I am SO excited to buy The Quest because I'm an RPG fan from back in the day! I remember as a teenage girl really wanting a NES and when Legend of Zelda came out..WOW!

This game looks super fantastic and I am very glad that the developer has reminded people about the hard work that has gone into making this game. itunes has spoiled people into believing that games should be .99-$2.99. These developers have families to support, bills to pay and food to put on the table too! $5.99 seems small to me to get a REAL RPG game.

Thanks to the developer who takes time to reply here!

9. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Well said!

10. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Why not have the portrait pictures linked to the males or females ---kind of pointless for me to look at female portraits if I am a male :)

Easy control fix for using overlays get rid of the movement buttons but have an overlay for movement and other ---so when they hit the movement button an overlay pops up over bottom of the screen ---you dont want people tapping on the top and sides ---too much movement and fingers get in the way ---tapping the overlay button again gets rid of the virtual D-pad and you can now rest and fight --better yet have the movement overlay popup button at the side of the screen so you can use your thumb on the right hand to open it up --- leaving you free to move with your right thumb ---easy to go from movement mode to other.

This gives more room at the bottom and you can separate the buttons for magic and such for the "larger" gamers out there. You also now can replace the movement buttons with a larger minimap!

11. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    also, it sometimes gets annoying when you have to move 1 "square" at a time, but you don't see any enemy near you. i don't know how this could be fixed, but it annoys me...

12. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks for the nice words!

Alright, we'll make a movie from a person who plays the game. : ) Dunno exactly when it will be online, but we'll make one, that's for sure.

Also thanks for the idea of the movement control - I'm not the team's technician so can't say much about this but we'll discuss it and do the best we can.

parranoya: in our previous game (Legacy) you even could see your characters naked when in their inventory you took off all the clothes from them. : )

jupiter21: it's because an enemy is near - the battle is round-based in this game so when an enemy is near you both start to move 'in squares', one turn for you, one turn for him/her. (It's because the enemy sometimes can attack you from the distance too with spell or arrow, and the same goes for you too.)

13. Mhans13

Mhans13 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    how do I run away from things. two orcs have been chasing me and no matter what I do I can't lose them. I even went all the way to the inn and slept there an when I came out they were still there. I'm only level 2 and there's no way for me to kill both of them at once. is there somewhere I can go to lose them?

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I love this game, two orcs are following you and won't leave you alone lol And in a town where every woman is a diseased whore!! (I still can't get over that wording... what in the world did we women do to the male devs? :mad: ;) :D

15. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Does anyone have some tips for archers? I end up using my crappy sword most of the time because I don't see the enemy until it is right in front of me :/ Also, it is hard to figure out where you go to complete quests.

16. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    I hit a civilian to see what would happen, and know everyone hates me. How do I get the civilians back on my side? Also, can you even kill civilians?

17. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I think if you pay money to the guard as you exit the town, your fame is reset or something.

18. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Man, this game is everything I hoped it would be! Except I can't locate the swamp to find that brown-clothed kid. lol

19. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    The quest log usually mentions a name or two. If you don't have any idea what to do on a quest you might try returning to speak to whoever gave you the quest or anyone else named in the journal and they'll usually have some brief thing to say that might spark your memory.

20. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    You can either pay for your crimes or find someone who might be able to help you convince the authorities to look the other way.