iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. bassism

bassism Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #41 bassism, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    This looks like a great game. I created my character and wandered around a bit.
    Now I'm stuck in the tavern making a killing on the card game.
    Addictive mini-games are the death of me....

But seriously, everything about this game feels right, about an hour in.

This is easily the game I've been waiting for.

2. Crimsonpaw

Crimsonpaw Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    LOL, at work we have our lights on a motion sensitive timer that will turn the lights off after 10 minutes. It sucks when you're in the stall longer than you should be and the lights go out.

I will say this game looks more interesting than when I first heard about it. I'm going to wait for all of your comments before making a decision, but I'm now on the fence about this instead of being totally against it.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Ok I REALLY enjoy this game, BUT they need to make magic restore a lot faster than that! It takes ages to get it back! :(

4. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Swipe diagonally toward the corners to turn.

5. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    If you work on your alchemy, you can make all the restore magic potions you'll ever need. If you don't want to go the alchemy route, you can always rest (use the tent icon) out in the wilderness or use a tavern to fully recover your spell points.

6. troutdog

troutdog Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Okay, first bathroom break impressions: :D

The inventory, card mini-game, statistics and character creation, and other similar elements all feel like a RPG dream to me... these are the kinds of games I waste hours on in my living room (currently addicted to Fallout 3 since October). I am a tweaker, I love to watch my character grow and have a say in what kind of man/woman they are going to be. I started out with a thief for Quest, and have already managed to steal a gold trinket from a townswoman. :cool:

Control, however, has not "stuck" for me yet. I don't like it. It is an odd, psuedo-3D game, you turn at right angles, kind of like an on-rails shooter. The graphics are very nice, it just started raining about 6 AM game time as I ventured out west on my first quest, and it looks very cool. However, the game seems almost like it has to be played in portrait mode - when in landscape mood, the movement arrows smoosh into a setup that makes no sense and always requires looking down at it to use. Instead of just having a virtual D-pad, it has a left, right, up, down, and then up/left and up/right...and like I said, in portrait mode these seem to be in arranged in an arbitrary way.

I toyed with touch controls for a bit, seems like a swipe system, and this also just didn't click with me yet... You have to sort of do an up-then-left motion to make right angle turns, and it just seemed weird.

Either of these control systems may improve with time and playing, but so far it is really kind of a sore thumb for me - this game looks like way too much fun to be ruined by control scheme that makes it not fun to play. At least, I really hope it isn't!

Just my two cents. :)

7. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feedback / reviews for THE QUEST

Everyone -- if you enjoy THE QUEST please post a review on iTunes to help us fuel more development. Thank you for your feedback and support !

8. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Chillingo I got to say you're my favorite dev :D

Does resting count against you in any way? I.e. do you have a set # of game hours, or does it take away from something else?

9. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Having played the PC demo a little bit back I can honestly say that this is what I was hoping for. I was a little worried that we would lose something in translation but they did a fantastic job porting this over.

As for the controls, I found that portrait was my favorite, the controls are better and the device itself is easier to hold. I tend to use my index finger instead of my thumbs.

10. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Just downloaded this game, and damn, it is awesome. Great character creation, fun gameplay, AMAZING graphics (the videos and pics don't do it justice. It looks as good as a high quality DS game when you see it in motion).

If you liked Daggerfall (or any of the other Elder Scrolls games), you will love this.

11. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    I agree with you on this. I'm a long time fan of Redshift's games, Legacy and The Quest, but I was really hoping for a different control scheme for their iPhone port.

I hope the Chillingo representative reads these and considers putting in a new request for an optional control scheme for their first patch.

The swipe motion certainly works, but it's a bit inconvenient to have to keep making that motion for every step, especially when you are travelling overland to get somewhere far away. Also, I find myself accidentally hitting the attack and magic icons when I swipe to the right.

And, as Troutdog wrote, the button scheme isn't intuitively positioned, and is awkward to use.

What I'd love to see is an option to remove the current control buttons, freeing up the side-panel space for a larger minimap and slightly larger attack/potion/magic/rest icons. And then movement would be handled by just tapping at the top of the screen for forward, bottom of the screen for back, sides for sidestepping and corners for turning. Leave attack/use/pick up item as tapping in the center of the screen.

12. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    Certain quests do have a time limit, but most don't. Resting uses food and can't be done in certain areas like cities or when monsters are nearby.

13. mjonesgraphics

mjonesgraphics Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Artist/Designer
    Washington DC area
    #53 mjonesgraphics, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Daggerfall

That looks great! Very old school. Very Daggerfall. :)

As an artist on the original Daggerfall I think that's a "good thing" ;)
    Classics RPGing on the "iPhods"!

Mark
    www.mjonesgraphics.com

14. Garden Dwarf

Garden Dwarf Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I loved games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder ... and with The Quest, I have some hesitations ... because of the controls.

Orientation in the map is important, and the system of buttons to press is not a good solution in this case, because you don't "feel" the buttons. To navigate into the maps, I will constantly look at my fingers if I want to move without problems. If I don't look where my fingers are, I will go in wrong directions for sure (or casting a spell by example, because the button is right above).
    Looking constantly at my fingers, then the game, then fingers, and so on will be very annoying I think. That's why I don't buy this game.

The price is good for me, so please place the effort in the controls. The idea of touching zones around the screen into the game to move seems a better solution to me too.

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Beta-tester reviews

Any thoughts about the first review on the Appstore by the beta-tester? I think I'm alright with it because he/she had to purchase the final Appstore release (or use a promo) to leave the review. I just was curious if anyone else had any thoughts about beta -testers leaving reviews. I also like that it was mentioned right off the bat in their review, nice.

16. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I'm stuck trying to find the stupid mirror :( Any tips?

Also, how do you use alchemy to restore your magic?

17. BassGS5

BassGS5 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Touch the pond that is somewhere in the cave. As for question #2, I don't know.

18. BadYeti

Jan 29, 2009
    Gather various herbs/mushrooms/berries by clicking when you're facing their square.

Click the mortar/pestle icon on the alchemy tab of your inventory. Combine two ingredients that have the restore magic property to create a weak restore magic potion.

19. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Thanks Bass, I'm at the village now :)

Am I doing something wrong? Because I had to use healing on myself twice before I killed the archer and once before I killed the skeleton. I don't want to use magic on them because I can heal myself 3-4 times with the same amount of magic as using a magic spell on them.

Man at the village - all this village has is diseased whores lol.

20. EYEATEYOU

EYEATEYOU New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    performance 3g/touch vs pc/ppc

can anyone comment on the performance on their devices and if you played it on pocket pc or another handheld, what the differences are?

I played the pc version and was quite unhappy that the iphone/touch version moved much slower than the pc does. I know that it is an optimization issue that can be fixed through updates but it's just painful to have everything take twice the amount of time to do: clear a dungeon, walk to town, or even fight. The tile transitions are slow for movement and turning, making short game sessions amount to very little game progress. Please speed up the engine Redshift/Chillingo! Maybe implement a game speed slider for those who like it to move at a slower pace.

Before you ask: Yes I have rebooted my non-jailbroken iphone 3g and even tried a complete refresh of the os without any other apps installed/running.

Great game though Redshift! Thanks for bringing it to the app store Chillingo!