iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No worries, getting busy here so it's easy to overlook something.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation, Cat! Somehow I got the impression that this was going to be "The Quest 2" and not "just" an HD version with the current Engine.

Keep us updated on Nine Dragons too, please. Want to see what you come up with next ;)

2. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    @Nullzone--I will keep you posted re Nine Dragons. Coming after this.

Now we will be good to go testing in TestFlight. : ) After Thanksgiving. : )

Thinking 25 testers might be good. I don't want to overwhelm Elendil. : ) He has a lot on his plate.

Is that too small a number?

We'll have the testing here at Touch Arcade. Pretty excited as I've never done it here before.

Thanks for all your help.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Always a pleasure to help you out, Cat ;)
    Nice to hear you are setup for Testflight. You'll like it, I'm sure.

Number of testers:
    The more the better, even more so if you get people who are good at giving feedback. You have enough experience to know how many you can handle.
    Getting 25 is pretty ambitious for a limited audience game like an RPG, but I'd aim for it anyways. If you get more than 10 here on TA, you are hitting it off really well, judging from my experience.

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I actually like your old system more than IAP ## good luck with the test flight, i'm just gonna be watching from the side line and hope the game will come soon :)

5. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #2865 Son of Anarchy, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    @Elendil/Redshift/Catacomber

I haven't read the entire thread lately so apologies if the following has already been mentioned/asked.

Just a note to let you know that the expansion Celtic Queen does not recognise The Quest Gold as being installed on the device when trying to 'unlock' it within the latter app. It instead directs you to the AppStore to buy it.

I'm sure it's been asked before but if you wanted to have the best experience in The Quest, which order should you play each expansion? Catacomber listed them all a page back but is that the recommended order?

I own them all and am about to replay them, but wanted to do so properly this time. Thanks in advance.

6. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I know about this problem. It was caused by iOS9 being much more strict in letting apps interact.

I've already uploaded an update to Apple, it has been waiting for review for while, so it should be available soon.

As for the recommended expansion order: I think it's best to follow release order, only using a different character for the low level expansions. You can find all expansions on our homepage under the iPhone section. In the descriptions there are information on the recommended levels.

7. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2867 Catacomber, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    @ Son of Anarchy---players have different favorite sequences for playing the base game and the expansions--some like to play the base game, then Islands of Ice and Fire, then each series from lowest level to highest level to follow the story line.

AliceMerry put this table up--I hope it helps--don't know how it's going to look, but here goes--here's the link where it's easier to read:

http://catacomber.com/forum/37-general-help-hints/73-list-of-quest-games-and-starting-levels

"This question about what order to play expansions in comes up all the time, and I usually have to ask it myself every time I finish a game. I went through iTunes and compiled the information for all of us. I can edit this post, so as new games come out, they can be added.

These are listed by level recommended for play. Some people like to play by story line. Cat recommends starting with a new character or a low-level character to play Celtic Rift and Cursed Chess Set. Your path is your own.

All Mithria departures are through Captain Hanty in Mithria Harbor. Matras departures are through Captain Verra in Matras Harbor.

The Quest and Its Expansions
    Game-- Starting Level -- Travel
    The Quest* Level 0 -
    Islands of Ice and Fire* Level 14 Mithria to The Quest Isle
    HOL I Level 22 Mithria to Lukomoyre
    HOL II Level 32 Mithria to Horde
    Mithril Horde II Level 35 Mithria to Horde II
    HOL III Level 38 Mithria to Stormy Seas
    Escape from Asteroids Level 42 Mithria to Roids
    HOL IV Level 45 Mithria to The Deathless
    Attack from Asteroids Level 58 Mithria to Attack
    HOL V Level 61 Mithria to HOLV
    - - -
    Cursed Chess Set Level 0 Matras to Cursed
    Celtic Rift Level 0 Matras to Celtic Rift
    Celtic Queen Level 35 Matras to Celtic Queen
    - - -
    Lost Archipelagos** Level 45 Mithria to Lost Archipelagos"

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #2868 Nullzone, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Hi Cat,
    I just remembered to take a look at your forum, and saw your posts about your PC testers being welcome on TA.
    Why, of course we have a spot for the lesser bein... ah, our friends from a different and faraway dimension with many strange customs.
    (have to keep up the smoke and mirrors that we all are nice folks and not meanies ;) )

The only potential downside I see is that people need to be REALLY disciplined, and clearly mark if a bug is PC/iOS/both (good luck with that :) ) .

9. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Thanks, Nullzone. There are only three of the lesser beings. :) They usually send me emails about bugs etc. But one of them might be interested to post here. The beta is coming along. Should be ready to send to Elendil for iphoneizing by the end of next week.

10. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    @Nullzone--I hope you'll be willing to test. It will be through Testflight and I'll need your email address--but I need to know if you'd like to give a quest and whether I can give you one that might be interesting or if you have one of your own and what kind of reward you'd like to give--just like old times. : )

You'd be in the Astrology Guild--I have an open quest for someone to give--gain admission to the Astrology Guild by assembling a telescope that can see a constellation never seen before but of course there are many types of quests, that's just one.

Alternatively you could be a medium and hold a seance in the Astrology Guild's Seance Room--lots of ectoplasm and spirits and a ouija board.

I'll make a new thread for the testing next week. Thanks for all your help.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Cat: Sure I'm game, count me in.
    Astrology and seances, and that for a skeptic like me? Oh dear ;)
    I do have an idea for that "assemble telescope" quest, let me mull it over a bit.

12. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2872 Catacomber, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Thanks. I got your pm and sent the info to Elendil. Thanks so much for all your help. The beta is just about done. Our betas always change during betatesting as you know so looking forward to additions.

I had a little fun with the seance so if you're a skeptic that's ok. I added the seance because I recently went to a lecture by an author who wrote a book on Houdini and the lovely madame he tried to debunk-- a doctor's wife who took up channeling ghosts for a hobby. A lot of people believed in her and she was very persuasive. It got me interested.

The book is The Witch of Lime Street. I haven't had a chance to read it but learned a lot about such things.

The book glows in the dark like ectoplasm. : )

I'm trying to wind up the beta now and will start the thread for it toward the end of this week.

You have your own room in the Astrology Guild. Need to know what kind of gift you want to give to the player. : )

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Good to hear your beta is getting underway, Cat.

Re: gift for the player:
    Sorry, been incredibly busy here the last days, didn't have time to think about it. If you do need one right away, and have something in mind, just go ahead and use it. If you can wait a few days, I'll try to come up with something over the weekend.

14. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    I can wait a few days. Thanks. You have your own room. I can put anything on a shelf there in addition to your giving a quest reward.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Great, thanks Cat!

If you have graphics for that (or can make them easily):
    Astronomy/navigation related things would be nice on the shelf.
    E.g an Astrolabe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolabe) , the celestial globe in that Astrolabe Wikipedia entry, a small telescope / spyglass, quadrant, astronomical clock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_clock) . Lots of nice stuff around ;)

Also, need to think about the name. "Nullzone" definitely looks out of place in a fantasy RPG. And pseudo-Latin like "Nullius Zonus" looks even worse ;)
    If you don't mind borrowing from another place, I really liked "Nulzon the Historian" Protopop came up with.

16. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2876 Catacomber, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    You're now . . . forgive me for choking on my catnip . . . it's a merry medieval name--Nutzon the Historian. : ) That's great.

I have images for such stuff. Let me check my 2d graphics. I'll let you know what I have. Can't add too many things as the Quest editor will hiccup.

17. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    #2877 Elendil / Redshift, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    The Quest PC - Steam Greenlight

The Quest PC version is now up on Steam Greenlight!

Please vote for it if you can!

Thank you!

18. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    @Elendil--I voted.

@Nullzone--I have a telescope, an astrolabe and a clouded lens. : ) Will start the Cursed Stone thread in the next few days to leave this free for the base game.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice, Cat ;) If putting more items in increases the chance of engine hiccup, the astrolabe is enough of course.

20. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks, Cat!