iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #2781 Catacomber, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
    Redshift handles the portation of our games to ios. That means we have no control over anything except our dungeons and stories. We have no control over any graphical problems and we (Zarista Games) can't control iPhone 5 widescreen support unless Redshift does it.

We're the dungeon makers and only the dungeon makers. We have to work with what Redshift gives us to work with for now.

I'm not having a problem running our new expansion Celtic Doom on my humble iPod. Everything works fine. I just have an iPod. : ) Am thinking about getting an iPad mini and then will be able to see what things look like there but our testers on iPad haven't complained.

2. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2782 Catacomber, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    The Quest Celtic Doom expansion is out! : ) It's not our last. : )

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Out of curiosity, what is the highest persuade value that is relevant in The Quest and current expansions?

4. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Elemental Asteroids is out. Working now on our China expansion, Nine Dragons.

This guy wanted to post his selfie. "Cheese" wouldn't get him to pose for the camera but "Eat human armpits" worked. Look at his big grin.

Attached Files:

• Feng.jpg
      Feng.jpg
      File size:
      175.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    I've been wanting to play this for so long I'm finally buying The Quest Gold :)
    I'll be getting the rest of the game packs to go with it later on so excited. :D

6. lll Anubis lll

lll Anubis lll Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    I'm just curious, was there any mod or anything to make this better suited to the iPad? Maybe fix the resolution, sharpen text, anything? I don't care if I have to jailbreak or not for it.

7. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Got a recommendation to try this out. Im just apprehensive on how this would look like on an retina mini. Has anyone tried this yet on the bigger decices? Does it look good?

8. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It's retro, so it's just bigger. It's not like it goes from photorealism to crap when the screen size increases.

9. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    I get what you mean. I just dont want to jump into buying an 8$ game and then get disappointed, you know what i mean... ill chec youtube if there are some videos...

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    One of the quest games is free, not sure if it works stand-alone or not, but you can try it out.

They reference a lite version on "the quest" application page, but I can't find it. Might have been removed.

11. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    According to a post in one of the expansion threads the lite version was taken off the app store but they submitted it again so it should be available soon.

12. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    i downloaded this onee xpansion. good thing i did because after a few minutes play, it just didnt mesh with me. Oh well... maybe Coldfire Keep.

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I don't think starting with the expansions really gives an accurate portrayal of the game as a whole.

For one thing, the pacing and degree to which the game throws variables at you in the original Quest campaign is much better than any of the expansions in that they are all designed for someone who is already familiar with the system and wants as much stuff to do at the same time and as much craziness as possible. Even though some expansions are designed for new characters, they are absolutely not well suited to new players.

14. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #2794 Topherunhinged, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    I've only played the base game and it sat really well with me but I'm used to pretty old-school game design; it actually reminded me a lot of Daggerfall but it's really more of an open-ended blober as far as the actual mechanics are concerned.

Coldfire Keep might be more up your ally but it's a bog standard blober and a little sloppy considering how basic it is. While most of the bugs seem to be getting ironed out, there have been two updates in just this first week of release and the developer is quite active on these forums, it's still got some core design problems. Apparently the auto-map is really limited, though the dev might be polishing that up, and the enemy variety is pretty sub-par. Pocket tactics gave it a pretty scathing review and as a personal fan of blob style games it looks like a definite amateur effort on the developers part, it's a one man project and his first game to boot. The character portraits are fantastic though.

15. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    If there was a lite version oft he base game, id be sure to try it out but barring that, its only the free expansion that i can check out. i completely agree witht he both of you on the superiority of The Quest. if it was only the fact that its SD, id have no issues. i guess its more thef act that its TOO open, if you get what I mean. Id be spending a lot mytme just exploring and backtracking and whatnot and thats something I find tedious in a PC game, not to mention of handheld game.

Its the same issue i have with BG compared to Bg2... i hope that makes some sense. :p

16. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Yes, there was a lite version which is currently unavailable, but hopefully will be available again very soon (as soon as it passes Apple's review process).
    I think you should try out the base game, not the free expansion because that expansion was made by a fan of us, it's not an official one. The base game has many help for beginners, and also the story there opens slowly, concentrating only to the starting small town first, so it's hard to simply getting lost. (Of course if you just walk and walk in one direction for miles, you'll easily get lost and meet harder enemies, but my advice is to stay around the first village until you get used to the game system and until you're getting strong enough to continue. : )

As for the graphics: yes, it's retro, and also this game originally was made back in 2005-2006 for small resolution PDA devices. That's why its graphic engine is limited, we can't simply make a better resolution version, we would have to rewrite the whole engine. Instead of this, we're making now its sequel, a brand new RPG which will have much better graphics of course. So hopefully within a year you all will have an even better Quest experience. : )

17. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    im definitely looking forward to it. Also hoping the Lite version comes out soon, just to see what all the fuss is all about. :)

18. lll Anubis lll

lll Anubis lll Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Could someone help me please? I'm playing the cursed chess set and I have 1 quest left, which is to find the 3 blind mice. I gave Lucy her knife back, but she still wouldn't tell me where they were. I don't even know what they look like, if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

19. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Anubis: on the Dairy Farms map, go behind the invisible cow's pens. There will be a bush there which blocks the way to a barrel. Just tap on that bush and it will disappear. The stuff is inside the barrel.

20. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Ahhh, thank you so much - I was looking for the same thing :D